Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I also posted in the Nitrous section, but thought after that this section may bring better feedback.

I tried to run a different class earlier this year with no success. It does not allow nitrous controllers and even with the 7531 gear retards, I couldn't get the car to hook with my TH-400 with 2.48 first gear. We had a total of 24deg out at the line and still blowing the tires off, while we hook hard every time with the controller.

I understand that switching to a Powerglide would probably be the best choice, but I was also thinking about trying a Griner 1+2 Transbrake, so I could launch in 2nd gear with a 1.48 gear for the class that doesn't allow controllers.

Would that work? I was told that it could be hard on the motor because the first gear is so low. The car weights 3250lbs and runs 8.9 so far with a SBC and a single plate with a 93 jet as per class requirements. It is a 1/4 mile class.

Anybody had success with this with a 1000-1100hp motor on nitrous? Must guys I know that use the 1+2 make 1500+hp.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
20,234 Posts
I think a glide would be a better choice for sure at this point. If your rules allow more than 2 solenoids on your plate you may be able to make that work. You won't be able to make a 1.48 launch work too well in the 1/4.

Hutch

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think a glide would be a better choice for sure at this point. If your rules allow more than 2 solenoids on your plate you may be able to make that work. You won't be able to make a 1.48 launch work too well in the 1/4.

Hutch
Single solenoid only. Why would the 1.48 not launch properly? Not enough wheel speed or too hard on the motor?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Hutch. Another quick question:

What about going to a 2.10 gear set? Will that make a big difference at the launch? The car hooks really hard with the controller and it feels that by lowering the gear set it may fix the problem. We run M/T 275PRO with 3.70 rear gears.

·
Super Moderator
20,234 Posts
Yes a 2.10 gearset is an option also. There are many different 2.10's to choose from and they can get costly which is why I made my earlier suggestion. By the time you get a VB and a good 2.10 your not far from getting a nice SFI case glide.

Hutch

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes a 2.10 gearset is an option also. There are many different 2.10's to choose from and they can get costly which is why I made my earlier suggestion. By the time you get a VB and a good 2.10 your not far from getting a nice SFI case glide.

Hutch
Since I already have a decently built TH400 with a good valve body, it would be cheaper for me to just change the gear set (with glide I need a new transmission, driveshaft, crossmember, etc...)

Would you recommend 2.10 or 1.95 gear set for my car?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Selling your current transmission and buying a Glide will be cheaper then upgrading your TH400.

Plus a Glide is lighter and cheaper in the long run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.