Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I also posted in the Nitrous section, but thought after that this section may bring better feedback.

I tried to run a different class earlier this year with no success. It does not allow nitrous controllers and even with the 7531 gear retards, I couldn't get the car to hook with my TH-400 with 2.48 first gear. We had a total of 24deg out at the line and still blowing the tires off, while we hook hard every time with the controller.

I understand that switching to a Powerglide would probably be the best choice, but I was also thinking about trying a Griner 1+2 Transbrake, so I could launch in 2nd gear with a 1.48 gear for the class that doesn't allow controllers.

Would that work? I was told that it could be hard on the motor because the first gear is so low. The car weights 3250lbs and runs 8.9 so far with a SBC and a single plate with a 93 jet as per class requirements. It is a 1/4 mile class.

Anybody had success with this with a 1000-1100hp motor on nitrous? Must guys I know that use the 1+2 make 1500+hp.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,698 Posts
I think a glide would be a better choice for sure at this point. If your rules allow more than 2 solenoids on your plate you may be able to make that work. You won't be able to make a 1.48 launch work too well in the 1/4.

Hutch

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think a glide would be a better choice for sure at this point. If your rules allow more than 2 solenoids on your plate you may be able to make that work. You won't be able to make a 1.48 launch work too well in the 1/4.

Hutch
Single solenoid only. Why would the 1.48 not launch properly? Not enough wheel speed or too hard on the motor?

·
Super Moderator
19,698 Posts
Single solenoid only. Why would the 1.48 not launch properly? Not enough wheel speed or too hard on the motor?
Im thinking it will just lug the motor very hard. If you could put some gear in the car , it would be a different story. Go try a launch in 2nd with the trans you have and see how it works.

Hutch

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Hutch. Another quick question:

What about going to a 2.10 gear set? Will that make a big difference at the launch? The car hooks really hard with the controller and it feels that by lowering the gear set it may fix the problem. We run M/T 275PRO with 3.70 rear gears.

·
Super Moderator
19,698 Posts
Yes a 2.10 gearset is an option also. There are many different 2.10's to choose from and they can get costly which is why I made my earlier suggestion. By the time you get a VB and a good 2.10 your not far from getting a nice SFI case glide.

Hutch

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes a 2.10 gearset is an option also. There are many different 2.10's to choose from and they can get costly which is why I made my earlier suggestion. By the time you get a VB and a good 2.10 your not far from getting a nice SFI case glide.

Hutch
Since I already have a decently built TH400 with a good valve body, it would be cheaper for me to just change the gear set (with glide I need a new transmission, driveshaft, crossmember, etc...)

Would you recommend 2.10 or 1.95 gear set for my car?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Selling your current transmission and buying a Glide will be cheaper then upgrading your TH400.

Plus a Glide is lighter and cheaper in the long run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts