Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to build a 600-650 [email protected] rpm 454 BBC with hyd roller. 95% street 5% strip.
Icon has two pistons that will fit perfect.
One has 5/64 ringpack
The other 1/16 ringpack

The total price difference in piston/ringpack is almost 200$ will the 1/16” rings be worth the extra 200$ in a build like this?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I think he is saying that the 1/16" piston AND ring package is $200 more than the 5/64" piston and ring package. Doesn't make much sense that just the ring width would result in a $200 difference between packages.

To answer the original question though, 5/64" ring package will work just fine in an engine that will be used 95% on the street. However, OP might consider looking at other brands of pistons for comparison, as there are a lot more ring designs available for the 1/16" rings.

·
Registered
14,581 Posts
If you're looking to get the most out of your dollar, I'd say well worth the money.

·
Idiot Savant
163,090 Posts
Get some Wiseco PTS pistons with the rings and save the money.

The 1/16 will make a little more power and be easier on the bores.

·
Idiot Savant
163,090 Posts
Going to build a 600-650 [email protected] rpm 454 BBC with hyd roller. 95% street 5% strip.
Icon has two pistons that will fit perfect.
One has 5/64 ringpack
The other 1/16 ringpack

The total price difference in piston/ringpack is almost 200$ will the 1/16” rings be worth the extra 200$ in a build like this?
First the 5/64ths set. How much do they weigh? Then the set with 1/16ths?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get some Wiseco PTS pistons with the rings and save the money.

The 1/16 will make a little more power and be easier on the bores.
This
Is Wiseco better than Icon?

First the 5/64ths set. How much do they weigh? Then the set with 1/16ths?
5/64
Piston 657+141 pin

1/16
648+141 pin

·
Registered
8,984 Posts
Look to see what Mahle has to offer, they have some thin street piston/ring packages and along with a good torque plate hone job should be worth some hp and cleaner oil.

·
Idiot Savant
163,090 Posts
This
Is Wiseco better than Icon?

5/64
Piston 657+141 pin

1/16
648+141 pin
They're more consistent. Both will keep the rings off the crank. The Wiseco's come with rings, and they're well priced.

There is, obviously, no advantage in weight. So it's just ring cost that makes the difference. Therefore, run tthe 1/16.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Will I loose 5 hp with 5/64” vs 1/16”? Or more?

Any other downsides?
More cylinder wear?
This will be my spare engine so will probably see limited use.
200$ is alot for 5hp.

Lets say I use the 200$ on the heads instead to gain 20-30 hp?

·
Registered
8,984 Posts
You'll never know the difference, get the right compression for the cam and you will be golden.

·
Registered
14,581 Posts
Why are piston manufacturers even making their slugs with such outdated ring packages?
Even the 1/16 rings seem huge these days.
Will I loose 5 hp with 5/64” vs 1/16”? Or more?

Any other downsides?
More cylinder wear?
This will be my spare engine so will probably see limited use.
200$ is alot for 5hp.

Lets say I use the 200$ on the heads instead to gain 20-30 hp?
I can't believe you're still debating this.
Pretty sure those old cast iron rings were hard on cylinders so yes, more wear.
It's going to be way more than 5 hp and how are you going to gain 25-30 hp on the heads with 200.00?
Assembling a short block correctly is time consuming. You only want to do it once. Do it the best you can afford to. It's a lot easier to upgrade the top end down the road if you think you want more power. If $200.00 is a deal breaker on your 600hp engine, you're going about this all wrong.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Scott that's pretty much a mic drop moment. Lol. So I'm just gonna say......"Yeah, What Scott said!". Lol

·
Registered
569 Posts
Pistons are the heart of the build .Never skimp on ring pack or pins.I would never consider either of those ring packs.If I had to sit a yr with no engine to afford better pistons then so be it.You wouldn't paint a house with a wire brush would you?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts