Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks Ron and Scott, that's what I needed to know. I'm not against bushing, It's actually a great way to control the oil to the top end on a cleveland, I was more concerned with oil feed with high lift cams and reduced base circles and the lifter oil hole coming out of the oil galley and certain lifters needing bushings to oil properly. I've had an issue with my oil pressure dropping/fluctuating if I hold the rpm at 3000 for 30 seconds or so using Isky red zone needle bearing lifters (solid roller). Possibly windsor lifters rather than cleveland specific? When I prime it all pushrods oil without turning the engine. I also had a needle fail after 10+ years and with the sizing issues rather than rebuild them I'm looking at getting GS, Morel or BAM, I assume Jessel will be too costly for me. I'll be around 800 lift and 780 lbs.

I‘ve used the Isky EZ roll bushed and the Morel bushed in Cleveland builds. The Isky lifters were on the small side and after 5000 kms the bodies had some scuff marks.
The Morel bushed lifters are what we use now. Had great results so far on a SBF clevor 440 cube build with over 1000 lbs on the nose.

·
Registered
102 Posts
we used to run a lot of isky. Yes the sizing was all over. I kept about 6-8 sets here at all times, and we would measure every lifter and make our own sets. yes it was a pain. That being said, I dont think we had any lifter related failures with the ex max lifters. I have since started running the BAM dlc coated pin version for their consistency, and also i know several people who have run them in applications that were failing other brand lifters and they didnt have failures. So well see long term how the BAM stuff does, but its been about a year we have run them and so far so good. I even put them in my LS as the crash test dummy for them
We have run over 50 sets of BAM lifters and as you noted the sizing consistency is very good, actually better than Jesel. Makes life much easier when you know what the size is going to be before you even get the lifter in hand and every lifter in a set is within a couple of tenths or better.

We have used mostly needle bearing type and a couple of DLC steel sets, no bronze so far. Have you tried any of Brad's bronze bushed lifters? Since the DLC is only slightly more expensive than bronze, we went all the way when upgrading.

Also FWIW, BAM will do custom sizes with sufficient lead time.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
decisions, decisions. so who you going to believe? a few internet forum hacks posting here or two prominent engine builders that install Isky roller lifters in their engines that are run in cars all over the country in brackets, super classes, top sportsman and top dragster.

Why would they believe you, an internet blow hard who won't say who he is, where he races or if he even has a car??

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Mine were measured.... I can't remember what they were, but DG has been building engines for 40 years, if he trusts them in his own $$$$$ engine .. I trust them in mine. Let alone all the customers we've had that run the EZX and Max lifter... tons of Super Comp, Super Gas and semi-aggressive Super Street engines.. mid 800 lift range. We've sent back many sets to to Richard at Isky with 400+ passes... only to have them sent back saying nothing required. I ran some .842 EZX lifters in my last engine... 588ci with a Bullet roller .876 net lift intake and .850 exhaust... Not one issue.

To each their own. I'm sure the BAM lifters are a sweet lifter .. and I have no doubt if I called Rob Remesi at Jesel, he'd set me up with a killer deal on a set of Jesel's .. as we've been master wd with them for years... But based on personal experience and what we've seen as a shop in general, I just can't justify the expense.

Cheers! :)

·
Registered
14,555 Posts
decisions, decisions. so who you going to believe? a few internet forum hacks posting here or two prominent engine builders that install Isky roller lifters in their engines that are run in cars all over the country in brackets, super classes, top sportsman and top dragster.

If someone from Sunset or RM was here giving advice, that would be different. You are neither and you have zero credibility here. Haven't you figured that out yet?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Mine were measured.... I can't remember what they were, but DG has been building engines for 40 years, if he trusts them in his own $$$$$ engine .. I trust them in mine. Let alone all the customers we've had that run the EZX and Max lifter... tons of Super Comp, Super Gas and semi-aggressive Super Street engines.. mid 800 lift range. We've sent back many sets to to Richard at Isky with 400+ passes... only to have them sent back saying nothing required. I ran some .842 EZX lifters in my last engine... 588ci with a Bullet roller .876 net lift intake and .850 exhaust... Not one issue.

To each their own. I'm sure the BAM lifters are a sweet lifter .. and I have no doubt if I called Rob Remesi at Jesel, he'd set me up with a killer deal on a set of Jesel's .. as we've been master wd with them for years... But based on personal experience and what we've seen as a shop in general, I just can't justify the expense.

Cheers! :)
they are great lifters, the Isky. Used a ton of them. Almost exclusively for the 8 years ive been here until recently.
i would have no trouble putting them in, as long as i can match sizes.
Gotta love the new ignore feature BTW . Even if someone quotes ignorant Cynical people, you dont see it....lol.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
The advantage Morel has over anyone else is inhouse heat treat. They don't job shop anything. Also another measure of quality is your customer base. The NASCAR teams have access to the best measuring and testing equipment there is. The only 2 brands named in this thread that are run in Cup are Morel and Jesel. Morel has had HMS business since 2005. Anyone that has been affiliated with NASCAR will tell you, to keep a NASCAR team happy for 15 years is DAMN impressive. The Negative for engine builders with Morel is they don't sell direct to everyone. Morel has supplied the OEMs for over 7 decades. Their business model is the same as an OEM....you go buy from an authorized dealer. For some this is to much for their ego. My question is do you think Chris U calls the big boss at GM and buys his new HD2500 from GM directly....he goes to a dealer. Also you need to look at how long someone has been around, Morel is 3rd generation and not going anywhere if your going to need stuff in the future.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I‘ve used the Isky EZ roll bushed and the Morel bushed in Cleveland builds. The Isky lifters were on the small side and after 5000 kms the bodies had some scuff marks.
The Morel bushed lifters are what we use now. Had great results so far on a SBF clevor 440 cube build with over 1000 lbs on the nose.
Thanks. Are you using the bushed Morel on the street or track only.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The advantage Morel has over anyone else is inhouse heat treat. They don't job shop anything. Also another measure of quality is your customer base. The NASCAR teams have access to the best measuring and testing equipment there is. The only 2 brands named in this thread that are run in Cup are Morel and Jesel. Morel has had HMS business since 2005. Anyone that has been affiliated with NASCAR will tell you, to keep a NASCAR team happy for 15 years is DAMN impressive. The Negative for engine builders with Morel is they don't sell direct to everyone. Morel has supplied the OEMs for over 7 decades. Their business model is the same as an OEM....you go buy from an authorized dealer. For some this is to much for their ego. My question is do you think Chris U calls the big boss at GM and buys his new HD2500 from GM directly....he goes to a dealer. Also you need to look at how long someone has been around, Morel is 3rd generation and not going anywhere if your going to need stuff in the future.
The NASCAR teams using bushed or needle

·
Registered
30 Posts
We run alot of Isky. Yes the sizing is off some hell Jesel keyed lifters are usually .0005 out of round. But for most people the keyed stuff isnt in budget, The Isky lifters for a lifter in that price range hold up the best.

·
Banned
322 Posts
You should check out BAM's lifter with the steel DLC coated bushing....
Badass lifter and not one failure since 2016 when they were released.
simply not true. Ask Brad why the wheel broke on one of his lifters in Luke Bogacki's engine. Every brand of lifter has failures.

·
Registered
102 Posts
We run alot of Isky. Yes the sizing is off some hell Jesel keyed lifters are usually .0005 out of round. But for most people the keyed stuff isnt in budget, The Isky lifters for a lifter in that price range hold up the best.
Sometimes the Jesels are more than .0005" out of round. Last set of .937" dogbones I used were so far out of round that they would not drop in a .9382"-.9384" bore and they advertise that lifter to be .9364", should have been .0018"-.0020" clearance.
I called Rob at Jesel, he said send them back and they would fix them. I ask how and he says they will hit the aluminum sleeve with a plastic mallet. I fixed them myself with a plastic mallet, actually got pretty efficient at it by the last one.
Shipped the engine to Australia almost two years ago and it's been running flawless since.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts