Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had this '06 Z71 since new. Got a service airbag message the other day. I realize I'm probably going to have to take it somewhere to have someone check a code, but are there any obvious things other than the impact sensors and harnesses under the seats that I could check before I do this? Checked for corrosion on the connectors, broken wires, blown fuses, etc and found nothing.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,631 Posts
I WOULDN'T WASTE A VISIT IN FOR IT

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm definitely not taking it to a dealer. The bitch of it is, I work at a small diesel shop that dabbles in gas work, so I know my way around my own truck plus cars and trucks in general, but we just don't have the right equipment to do that stuff. We have a local shop that we farm some work out to so I'm going to take it to them and see what they think. Was just wondering if there was anything that's a known problem in that area on those trucks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Probably the airbag clock spring, do the other switches on the wheel work?

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Front crash sensor on the bottom of the rad support. Been changing a shit ton of them.

·
Creepy Ass ******
5,801 Posts
Crash sensors in front, unplug them and check resistance across the 2 terminals. Replace the one that is open.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Air bag light on our 03 had been coming on and going off randomly.
been stuck on now for about a year.

Annoying hearing the chime go off everytime I drive.
havent looked into seeing wtf is wrong.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Crash sensors in front, unplug them and check resistance across the 2 terminals. Replace the one that is open.
I was told that this front sensor is the problem with mine. Is it safe to just unplug it or do you need to disconnect the battery or short the wires together first?

·
Creepy Ass ******
5,801 Posts
I was told that this front sensor is the problem with mine. Is it safe to just unplug it or do you need to disconnect the battery or short the wires together first?
I'm sure you're probably "supposed" to disconnect the battery, I've done about a dozen or so, never touched the battery, usually opens up a can of worms with the radio antitheft. Never an issue. Don't short out or try to measure the resistance across the wires you unplug, just the two terminals on the crash sensor itself. Theres one on each side of the lower core support, you get to them from the bottom.

·
Master subscriber
1,643 Posts
Use an 18# sledge hammer and a towel around the hammer head, and start hitting the front bumper. If nothing happens, repeat sequence. The towel will keep from chipping the paint. If the airbag goes off, you will know all was good.

·
Super Moderator
47,267 Posts
Those of you mentioning "don't worry about it" or "just drive it",....that's not smart advice.

That light being on means there's something wrong with the system, meaning when you do get into an accident, the bags might not deploy, or perhaps even worse, they might deploy for no reason at all.

Just get the light/codes checked. Ask around at shops you know, there's usually mobile diagnostic guys who will check them for you at a fraction of the cost the dealer will charge.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Save yourself the headache and just do both front crash sensors. For some reason it's always a left front code and every time I just replace that sensor, 2 weeks later the right front throws a code!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I finally got time to check mine. My 2002 2500HD only has one sensor in the middle of the radiator support. I unplugged it and checked with an ohm meter. It was open and the connector terminals looked good. I found a Dorman for $78 on Amazon so I order it. Everyone else wanted $102 to $140. I hope it turns off my air bag light. Thanks for the help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts