Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My G/F has a 04 Tahoe and the speedometer will stop working soon after it gets warm. Within 15 minutes of driving. Is this a known issue with the truck line and can it be fixed without replacing the whole instrument panel/cluster?

·
AVAST
1,350 Posts
its a common problem, those clusters had horrible gauge servos. you have to pull it all out tho and either get it all updated or just the offending one

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a common problem, those clusters had horrible gauge servos. you have to pull it all out tho and either get it all updated or just the offending one
She wants to sell the thing to her friend for $15,000 (what she paid for it 5 years ago with 35,000 miles on it, has 71,000 now) and buy a 13 ZL-1 vert. She would like to fix that part first. The friend has driven the Tahoe before but I'll bet she didn't notice the steering column rattle. Would you happen to know the part no. for that servo?

·
Registered
535 Posts
My 03 had all kinds of dash issues. I bought a whole new instrument cluster (reman) thru autozone for 250, came with lifetime warranty. Dorman is re-manufacturing them now. Been good since.

·
AVAST
1,350 Posts
She wants to sell the thing to her friend for $15,000 (what she paid for it 5 years ago with 35,000 miles on it, has 71,000 now) and buy a 13 ZL-1 vert. She would like to fix that part first. The friend has driven the Tahoe before but I'll bet she didn't notice the steering column rattle. Would you happen to know the part no. for that servo?
not off hand, i did the one in my 03 silverado. you can either send it out or do it yourself. when i did my truck it wasn't too bad,

·
Brewmaster
12,620 Posts
Single stepper motor If you know how to unsolder and resolder a new part in, go for it. You really have to be careful marking all needle positions and taking them off. I didn't have it all the way put back together so on a test drive, adjustments could be made. Matched it up with a couple of GPS speeds.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
My 03 had all kinds of dash issues. I bought a whole new instrument cluster (reman) thru autozone for 250, came with lifetime warranty. Dorman is re-manufacturing them now. Been good since.
I bought one of the Dorman remanufactured clusters, only takes about 15 minutes to R&R the whole thing. You have to provide them with the mileage ahead of time when ordering, so that your new cluster is correct. I was too lazy to change the stepper motors since I had multiple gauges out. :cool:

·
Maderator
16,247 Posts
Yep as others have said, the gauge stepper motors are junk... You Can buy a kit or just a single motor, you need a pencil tip solder fun and a solder sucker. If you are not confident it replacing it send it to me and I'll do it...I do about 3 or 4 of them a week.

·
Maderator
16,247 Posts
The steering column rattle is an easy fix also, the slip yoke in the intermediate steering shaft needs greased.

·
You did what??
2,963 Posts
My 03 had the same issue, sent the whole cluster off to a guy on ebay that fixes all stepper motros, cleans it, and back for about $100...best cheap and easy fix.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I have 4-5 extra stepper motors. One of my gauges quit and I replaced the one motor and then sold the truck. PM me if you need them, they're not expensive. Or I can replace them if you want to send me the cluster. It's not a bad job.

·
Super Moderator
47,307 Posts
Had my 04 gauge cluster done for free at the dealer as well,.they didn't fix it, they replaced it. It was a few years ago so, it probably was within 7 years of the production date.

They also did the steering shaft replacement,..for free,....but I can feel the little thumping coming back.

·
Previously Banned
10,236 Posts
Doubt the young lady knows how to solder. I bought a reman 07 cluster for 280, then sold my stock cluster as a core for about 125. No downtime, and hopefully no more issues. She could do something similar.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
My 03 had the same issue, sent the whole cluster off to a guy on ebay that fixes all stepper motros, cleans it, and back for about $100...best cheap and easy fix.
I did the same thing.

·
Capri For Sale
12,976 Posts
I bought six of the stepper motors for $30 from ebay. Simple easy job to replace them. I have seen a few where the printed circuit was burned up and had trouble fixing them. Only had one I couldn't fix and of course it was a Joe Gibbs truck with special graphics so I had to buy one a swap them out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts