Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new to me 2002 F350, 7.3. Everything works but the Cd player part of the radio and the lock switch. The lock/ unlock rocker switch will unlock the doors, but won't lock them? The truck came without key fobs. I was at the Ford dealership today to get key fobs. They had them, cheaper than expected at ~$55. The parts guy came out to program them for me. The truck would go into "program mode" but the fobs and truck would not work together. The VIN confirms it has key-less entry, the parts guy said it wouldn't go into program mode if it didn't. The truck will lock the doors automatically if the doors are unlocked and I start to drive but won't do it when I use the rocker switch.

I doubt the CD issue is related to the door lock/ key-less entry issue. I honestly could care less about the CD player, but I'd like to get the key less entry working. I checked the associated fuse, it's good. I expected it to be as the unlock portion works.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction before the dealership destroys my wallet.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I'd have to play around with it in person, but the last one of these I had doing something similar, there is a wiring splice about 6" inboard from the rocker sill on the driver's side, behind the driver's seat (assuming crew cab). It was all green and shitty from salt/water intrusion.

I have also had ALL, yes ALL of the lock actuators fucked on one truck at the same time. It was a bitch to diagnose beacause I had a hard time believing it needed ALL FOUR actuators, but that's what fixed 'er.

Good luck! These are also controlled by the GEM, which may have water intrusion from a leaky windshield seal. The GEM/Fuse panel are integrated behind the driver's knee bolster.

And tell that fuckin' parts guy to stick to selling parts, not doing the service guy's work ;) LOL

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Just got back in town. I'm still working on it. Some of my research points me towards the VSM module as being faulty. Something the dealer has to program..ugh. I'll go there as a last resort.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a small issue with the 4wd system. It's vacuum related, defaults ac to defroster vents when I turn the switch. The auto/ manual hubs lock when locked manually. The truck goes into 4h and 4l as I can hear the transfer case actuator working. I replaced the vacumm lines to the hubs and inspected the rest, all seem ok. The hubs themselves may be the issue, no worries the auto/ manual factory units will soon be replaced with Warns or Yukons and I'll block off the vacuum lines.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The actuators seem to work fine, the auto lock feature ( locks the doors once the speed reaches greater than 5mph) works without issue, and does so with authority.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
PVH solenoid leaking, or the hub seals themselves. Apply vacuum to each spindle with hand vacuum pump and see if it holds.

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
I'd have to play around with it in person, but the last one of these I had doing something similar, there is a wiring splice about 6" inboard from the rocker sill on the driver's side, behind the driver's seat (assuming crew cab). It was all green and shitty from salt/water intrusion.

I have also had ALL, yes ALL of the lock actuators fucked on one truck at the same time. It was a bitch to diagnose beacause I had a hard time believing it needed ALL FOUR actuators, but that's what fixed 'er.

Good luck! These are also controlled by the GEM, which may have water intrusion from a leaky windshield seal. The GEM/Fuse panel are integrated behind the driver's knee bolster.

And tell that fuckin' parts guy to stick to selling parts, not doing the service guy's work ;) LOL
Hey B.A.H., I've always read your posts on diesels and I can tell you know your shit on these things.

But I found out right from Ford that it isn't the windshield that leaks, it's the roof clearance lights. There's only a small O-ring on the base of the light that deteriorates and leaks. The water runs across the windshield header and down the left windshield pillar, dripping onto the GEM module/fuse box assembly.

I found this out after having a new windshield installed just to cure the "windshield leak" the truck never had. After installing the new W/S, I still had a leak and blew another GEM module. That's when I contacted Ford and they knew right away what the problem was. Fixed the roof lights 3 or 4 years ago and never had another problem.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine doesn't have roof lights...

I have verified the vacuum pump is good. I'm down to the hub seals, a line leak down stream of the PVH solenoid, or the solenoid itself. I'll have to get my hands on a vacuum pump to test the hub seals.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PVH solenoid leaking, or the hub seals themselves. Apply vacuum to each spindle with hand vacuum pump and see if it holds.
Each hub will hold vacuum, I tested them each independently at the vacuum point on the back of the hub. When vacuum is aplied I can also hear the hubs engage.

The lines from the PVH solenoid to the hubs also hold vacuum.

The issue is either the PVH solenoid, vacuum reservoir tank or a weak pump that can't keep up? The vacuum pump runs, I just don't know how it should sound when running. Mine kinda has a weak hummm to it, but will cut off if I cap the air intake hole as expected.

I'll test the reservoir tank later, out of time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts