Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this thing is driving me nuts... sorry this is sort of long but dont want to leave anything out... last year replaced fuel pump and replaced harness to pump. this week i was doing the cab corners and rockers so i pulled bed to get to cab corners. drove truck in and out of garage all week w/o bed on it... last night i put the bed back on and started truck moved it, then went to start it, it stalled and wouldnt start... so i thought i pinched a wire pulled bed back up and nothing pinched and truck still wont start. called got another fuel pump put it in, no start... replaced harness again no start. unplugged fuel pump a few times to check all the wires were seated in the plug and tried it and it ran... taped all the harnesses up and put bed on... drove it home last night and started it prob. 20 times today it was fine... then tonight i go to run into town and wont start... it cranks but cant hear fuel pump kick on, tried switching relays no help.... is there another problem i am missing on these trucks? pump is a Delphi, checked wires as far as i could see and they do not look damaged anywhere or pinched... thanks for looking any advice is appreciated

·
Registered
30 Posts
i had same problem it was a ground strap on the motor to the frame also check the one on the drivers side rear frame rail one easy way to check is hook a ground from batt ground to the block

·
Maderator
16,223 Posts
I would double check the grounds that go to the bed in the rear. I think there are two. I did this very same thing with an s10 one time and it turns out that the grounds just happened to be making contact enough that it ran while I had the bed off.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so some crawling around underneath followed the harness forward and the ground wire for the fuel pump runs to the same ground point as the strap from the filler neck and it must have came loose from moving the filler around... tightened it up and truck fired right up.

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
Ground wire to the frame on the drivers side that the ground strap hooks to i would bet you didt put it back on;)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try troubleshooting the problem instead of just replacing parts! Use a volt meter & a fuel pressure gauge.
thanks genius!!!

fuel pressure gauge would do a lot when the pump isnt on...

showed 12.6 volts at the orange wire to the pump because volt meter completed the circuit because it has a ground...

glad you were feeling so smart as to be an ass when someone was looking for help...

was a ford tech for 6yrs just so you know... hope ya feel smarter!

did solve the problem by troubleshooting. was in a hurry at 10PM last night and had to pick daughter up from work was looking for something to check

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ground wire to the frame on the drivers side that the ground strap hooks to i would bet you didt put it back on;)
it was on, but it must have worked itself loose from moving the filler neck around...

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I instaled a carter in a 03 suburban awhile back, it had a pigtail with metricpac connectors. Not the one where you cut the stock harness and splice in but one that plugs into the stock harness and then the pump. The stock harness plugs into the pump so I slap it in lower it down and fill the tank and nothing. Jump relay and nothing. Raise the truck an lower tank to acess the connector to check for power at pump only to remembe rI left my meter and test light on core support when I checked battery voltage. Cant lower car down since tank is hanging on trans jack with lines connected. I grab the old pump and plug it in and it runs. I am almost ready to pull the new pump out and remembe rthe pigtail I left in the box. So I slap the pigtail in and pump runs. IT turns out the chassis harness plugs into the pump but for whatever Carter pins the pumps different so the pigtail provided swaps wires around. The worst part was there was not any mention of the pigtail in all the paperwork woth the pump

1 - 10 of 10 Posts