Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 mustang with a 5spd.

Only while driving does this happen. Won't do it while out of gear and sitting there even if you rev it up..

What happens is, Say you're coming to a stop at a light and you push the clutch in. The engine will rev to around 2000 rpm and slowly cycle back down to normal idle takes 5 to 10 seconds. You can bump the clutch and bring it back down right away.

I have read on other sites it may be the IAC or the 2nd switch on the clutch pedal. Any Ideas..

The Bullet has the answers I bet.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would guess if it goes away with the clutch pedal it would be that switch. I don't see how that would affect engine RPM though. Are you sure its not just coincidence?

·
Registered
30,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried all other ideas. Disconnected cruise control, made sure linkage was not binding, cleaned air filter (K&N). shut it off restarted it, clutch in, clutch out, revved it. only does it while moving.

After typing that I got an idea..The only thing I haven't tried is popping it out of gear while driving.

·
Registered
508 Posts
1st question:
is the car all stock?

If so, it is often times caused by filthy IAC and grimey throttle body blade.
A dirty MAF element will also cause similar issues (caused often times by oiled filters)..

The ECM looks at vehicle speed and Clutch position to control "dashpot", which is the rate at which the IAC return to "idle".
If the ECM has crappy input (such as a dirty maf) the IAC is forced to over compenate, causing a surge and stalling...
The same holds true if the IAC and throttlebody are crudded up, because the amount of airflow/duty cycle has changed.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Remove the MAF from the air box, rinse the filament with a little carb/brake clean, reinstall.

The oil from the filter is often times pulled through the filter and deposited on the maf...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.