Brad Penn oil - Page 2 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Let's Talk Drag Racing

Let's Talk Drag Racing Talk about drag racing with censorship...

Old 06-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #16
The Green Oil
Burnout box

Default Re: Brad Penn oil

The Brad Penn High Performance Oils did not cut back the zinc. They put in a typical 1500 ppm zinc and 1340-1400 ppm phosphorous. Their website is www.bradpennracing.com and they address the zinc reduction misconception on their site under zinc. You do not need to add any additives with the oil
The Green Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #17
Smokey1226
Smoked another BBC

Brad penn is the only way to go. There is a reason most of the top engine builders out there use it and recc it. Just ask Dr Ford and Steve Morris about the oil....as well as all of my alky customers that swear by the oil.

http://www.schmidtsgasngo.com/
(we do not ship fuel, sorry)
Smokey1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #18
Drag Mouse
Pullin gears

What does it usually cost for a quart and where can you get it?
Drag Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #19
Relentless
Pullin gears

By far the best oil I have used to date. Last 3 cases i bought was 4.29 per qt.
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #20
UP IN SMOKE
Pullin gears

2 alky blown motors and 3 gas motors.....never had a problem.
UP IN SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #21
CH3N02
Smoked Another SBC

I contacted Brad Penn about the zinc content misconception and they asked me to post this response.

Brad Penn® Penn Grade 1® High Performance Oils

Since January 8, 2008, Brad Penn® Penn Grade 1® High Performance Oils have been formulated with a typical 1500 ppm zinc and 1340-1400 ppm phosphorous additive concentrates.

Penn Grade 1® High Performance Oils are tightly controlled to this level. Each production batch is rigorously monitored by our ISO 9001 certified Quality Control Laboratory to assure compliance to the specification.

Prior to January 8, 2008, Penn Grade 1® High Performance Oils were blended with zinc levels below 1500 ppm. This was in part dictated by the API service classification SJ which limited the phosphorus level to 1000 PPM max for catalyst compatibility. It was only after a decision was made to depart from the API performance classification that it was possible to increase the phosphorus level to 1340 to 1400 range of the current product. This corresponds to the advertized zinc concentration of 1500 PPM.

Being the former Kendall Refinery located in Bradford, Pa., we process 100% Pennsylvania Grade crude oil. From the crude oil, we obtain a unique base oil cut which builds a stable oil film that withstands high pressure, high temperature and scuffing associated with race and older, high performance engines. The product provides double protection (layer of lubricant with the zinc and phosphorous protection) to critical engine parts especially for flat tappet and roller cams. In fact, a majority of the cam manufacturers’ tested and now recommend our High Performance Oils before we reformulated the product. One of the reasons the increase in zinc and phosphorous in 2008 was done was to support market trends realizing that the market valued these higher levels. There was not any performance data that directed the increase. Another reason was more historical, since those higher levels had been in use in high performance oils prior to concerns about emission control catalyst life.

The Brad Penn® Penn Grade 1® Break-In oil is designed specifically with a lower level of ZDDP and other select additive components as a Break-In oil. Since break in is a wearing process high levels of an anti-wear additive may be counterproductive. The type of ZDDP used in this oil is also more suitable for break in applications. This product is highly recommended by a number of engine builders for use when breaking in newly assembled engines to lubricate and assure proper sealing of components.

The Brad Penn® lubricants are manufactured at the former Kendall Refinery in Bradford, Pennsylvania.

The refinery is the oldest continuously operated lube refinery in the world (since 1881). The refinery processes only 100% Pennsylvania Grade crude oil through the refinery and is the last truly MADE IN THE USA major oil company.

The Bradford Refinery was the first in the United States to carry ISO 9002 certification; and the American Refining Group, Inc., refinery, blending and packaging operations currently carry ISO 9001:2008 certification.

The Penn Grade 1® High Performance Oils are recommended by a majority of Cam Manufacturers such as Crane Cams, Crower Cams, Web Cams, Schneider Cams, Koerner Cams, Howards Cams, Cam Motion and many others.

Penn Grade 1® High Performance Oils are uniquely formulated for Street Rods, Hot Rods, Muscle Cars, Vintage Cars, Classic Cars, Historic Cars and High Performance Race Engines.

Penn Grade 1® High Performance Oils are available in Partial Synthetic SAE 0W-30, SAE 10W-30, SAE 10W-40, SAE 15W-40, SAE 20W-50; in addition SAE 30, SAE 40, SAE 50, Nitro 70, Break-In Oil SAE 30 and Assembly Lube.

Richard E. Glady
Vice President
Branded Lubricants
Sales and Marketing
American Refining Group, Inc
CH3N02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #22
ledsled87
Smoked Another SBC

I just bought a case in N.C. for about $40.00. Brad Penn is the only way to go!

Nitrous......I used to do a little, but a little wouldnt do it, so the little got more and more......
ledsled87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #23
blowntrifive
Pullin gears

Garage

Will not run anything else, great shit. Run it on my blown 509 with out any issues. Had a friend with a dragster change to it after taking out his camshaft two years ago on penzoil. Cheap isurance as far as I'm concerned.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #24
Fasthouse
Launchin

I am sold on this oil.

Best I have ever used.
2013 Outlaw Promod Champ
ADRL PXM 1111
Fasthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #25
James Ratliff
Smoked another BBC

Where are you guys getting it that cheap?? Is there a place to order from online @ $4.29/quart or $40/case?? My local shop has it on sale at 66.00/case or $6.99/quart.

James
James Ratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:11 PM   #26
str8liner
Smoked Another SBC

Brad Penn is good oil but I have run the 25 50 pennsoil you are running now in alky engines before and its great oil also.
str8liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #27
Smokey1226
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag Mouse View Post
What does it usually cost for a quart and where can you get it?
If you are close to the wi/ill boarder, stop bye i have just about all of thier weights in stock with pricing talked about ^^^

http://www.schmidtsgasngo.com/
(we do not ship fuel, sorry)
Smokey1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #28
Hammertime
Smoked another BBC

someone send it in and give us some results ..
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I've heard from several who used to run it the oil has changed, I would be willing to try it if it wasnt 75 bucks a case around here!
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:28 AM   #29
jeff c
pig hunter
Smoked Another SBC

been sending oil in for yrs. i was changing the oil after every race until i sent my first sample to the lab. after that i changed it after 2 races it still was fine. i ran 5 races and about 2000 street miles with a lot of racing there also. i sent it in for testing and could have put it back in. i will see if i have some of the data still around. the worst oil i have had tested is mobile one.
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #30
FlyinOhioan
Smoked another BBC

Been using the Brad Penn 70wt. for years in blown alky engines and it is by far the best out there . It does get diluted with alky but it evaporates out when it sets or you can heat it for faster results . Our dry sump holds 18 qts. and we add a half a qt. of the Lucas heavy duty additive , no main or rod bearing problems period making around 2300-2400 hp . We heat the oil and filter it then dump it back in every few races , I am ashamed to tell how old the oil is and you wouldn't believe me if I told you anyways ! . Not being cheap , we have cases waiting to be used just no reason to change it . We pull the pan after every weekend and check the bearings , the parts don't lie .
FlyinOhioan is offline   Reply With Quote