Blowing fuses after going to 16V - Page 2 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Nitrous - Induction Solutions

Nitrous - Induction Solutions

Old 06-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #16
slo-poke
Pre-Staged

Default Re: Blowing fuses after going to 16V

Gents, thanks for the help! I ohm'd the coils and they were extremely close, nitrous to nitrous and fuel to fuel, so the eliminated the suspected coil issue. Inspected al wiring and found no issues there, supply and ground are both 10ga wire. Did a little shop testing and with the 20 amp fuse it would consistently blow, installed a 30 amp fuse and it has not blown yet. I will be upgrading relay and fuse set up. Again thanks for the help and for the explanation on volts vs. amps vs. watts. This old boy just needs a little motivation to dig into things a little further and you guys never let me down!
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2019, 02:59 PM   #17
vegaman924
Smoked Another SBC

I just meant to say that a little testing goes along way ,he didnít know so why not do a little testing , it really sucks when shit melts down especially if your doing a 150+ down the track and he learned something too
vegaman924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:58 PM   #18
juiced coupe 78
Smoked another BBC

I find it odd that a 40 amp relay only has terminals that are rated for 20 amps, and typical ATO fuse holders are even worse offenders.
juiced coupe 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:14 PM   #19
427f2
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced coupe 78 View Post
I find it odd that a 40 amp relay only has terminals that are rated for 20 amps, and typical ATO fuse holders are even worse offenders.
I agree most relays are overated and a lot of connectors are junk, couple that
with poor crimping practices and then the terminals stretch out once things have
been taken apart a time or two and its no wonder a lot of guys have intermittent
wiring issues.

always worthwhile to go the extra mile when doing this stuff especially on high
current devices like noids.
427f2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:19 AM   #20
Rick!
Pullin gears

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick5oh View Post
give us the lesson you speak of on a parallel circuit. my nos mini controls 2 channels of 40 amps each. 5 solenoids total. wired one bank together using a 30amp relay, the other bank using a 30 amp relay-both relays triggered by switch panel. switch panel relay turns on nos mini, as well as purge noid and turns on relays for each bank. noid draw on each bank is roughly 15 amps. wired all my noids using 12awg wire and the grounds go into a single 12awg I believe and into the nos mini box. worked good first time out-no issues. wondering what sized fuse I should wire in though. was originally thinking 20amps should be fine but not sure.

THIS IS A GOOD TOPIC SHARE INFO GUYS

Here is a pretty good tutorial on simple circuits.
Substitute devices (solenoids) for resistors and have at it.
Rick! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:15 PM   #21
fofo
Smoked Another SBC

FYI. We have no issues since we went to the Go Lithium 16V single Battery. Induction Solutions systems (4) & Leash Pro8 Controller. I do not think your issue relates to the 16V battery. Good luck.
'69 Camaro Yenko SC - Back Half / NHRA 25.2 / Stock Front Suspension - Fulton 718 & N20
337-781-4443
[email protected]
Lafayette, LA 70508

FOR SALE: $2,000
Stainless Headers (under car) 2 1/4" & 4" Merge Collector, by The Fab Shop for tube chassis car, BBC;

FOR SALE: $6,000
3 Stage n20 CFE Intake. Dual Split Carbs by David Cook DC Carbs. Was on 5" BS 738 BBC 11.36 deck with Sonny Leonard Heads;
fofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:25 PM   #22
Mike Beck
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427f2 View Post
This^^^^is a common misconception that 480v less amps is more economical to run
vs. 240v higher amps but it simply is not true....The total required amount of watts needed to run the motor is the same either way....the only savings are in the fact that a smaller gauge wire can be used in the 480v set up over the 240v higher amp/bigger needed wire configuration.
And this is why airplanes use fairly high voltage, to keep the wiring size down yet still be able to do the same amount of work.........
Mike Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 11:42 AM   #23
Induction-Solutions
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-poke View Post
Gents, thanks for the help! I ohm'd the coils and they were extremely close, nitrous to nitrous and fuel to fuel, so the eliminated the suspected coil issue. Inspected al wiring and found no issues there, supply and ground are both 10ga wire. Did a little shop testing and with the 20 amp fuse it would consistently blow, installed a 30 amp fuse and it has not blown yet. I will be upgrading relay and fuse set up. Again thanks for the help and for the explanation on volts vs. amps vs. watts. This old boy just needs a little motivation to dig into things a little further and you guys never let me down!
Great to hear we got you in the right direction.. Thanks
815-341-8853 Cell
352-593-5900 Parts/Shop
[email protected]
Induction-Solutions is offline   Reply With Quote