Question for geezers here... - Page 3 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Trash Or Be Trashed

Trash Or Be Trashed Where the weak are killed and eaten!!!! Vulgar language and nudity may be enclosed!! NWS

Old 06-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #31
Mark O'Neal
Idiot Savant
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Question for geezers here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK55FLA View Post
You never gave us your weight/height, body fat %

I own a Construction Company and I work with my guys,,I'm 58, big arms, big shoulders, flat stomach,,when people try to guess my age most say 35-40

I have been blessed with good Genes,

I would research how to get off the Metaformin,,,

God gave us everything we need to be healthy,,you just need to find what you need.

Metformin has some pretty serious benefits outside of diabetes.
Mark O'Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #32
Mark O'Neal
Idiot Savant
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99PanozAIV View Post
Yeah, Iím border line diabetic. My A1C cycles between 5.9 and 6.4. Iím on 3x500 mg Metformin. My next appointment is in a few weeks, thatís why Iím waiting. Also seeing a cardiologist regularly and just had carotid ultrasound which he said shows some obstruction but nothing worth doing anything about. My stress tests and echocardiogram were not exceptional for anyone my age. No one seems to see anything striking so far, Iím just not used to feeling so weak so fast from simple exertion.

Iíve been looking all over the web trying to find some benchmarks for people my age but itís surprising how little there is. I did just find a senior fitness assessment from Mayo Clinic that I saved and will be trying that soon.

Avoid carbs and do a fast a couple of times a week and you won't be prediabetic any more...and you won't have a "fatty liver" any more either.

Read "the Diabetes Code" by Dr Jason Fung.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #33
Mark O'Neal
Idiot Savant
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
a recent study of 17,000 veterans with diabetes found that taking metformin was associated with a lower risk of dementia than sulfonylurea drugs (e.g. glyburide, glipizide). And other studies have shown metformin use to be associated with reduced rates of dementia and improved cognitive function.

God also gave us everything we need to get eaten by cats...so we invented guns.
Old Yesterday, 12:58 AM   #34
TheRevII
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99PanozAIV View Post
Yeah, Iím border line diabetic. My A1C cycles between 5.9 and 6.4. Iím on 3x500 mg Metformin.

Hard to believe, but my X brother in law who is on Metformin (and Tradgenta whenever he can talk his doc into some free samples; it's expensive) just had a complete workup done - blood sugar is 384 and his A1C level is 14.2. The doctor was surprised he walked into the office under his own power. Zero energy in his legs; small wonder. They want him on insulin and he won't do it.

Hope you can get on top of yours, buddy. Gettin' old ain't what it's cracked up to be, is it?
Old Yesterday, 01:23 AM   #35
G-Code
Not Hillary 2016
Smoked Another SBC

OP...

As far as your exercise routine to get back into shape, try swimming.

"My job is not to represent the world, my job is to represent the United States of America " DJT 2-28-2017

58.3% of Statistics are made up.
G-Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:50 AM   #36
bentwings
Pullin gears

I’m 77. I still work part time in a metal welding and fab shop. It’s hard to get down on a creeper these days but not something I can’t do. Just not fast like the old days. Two years ago I got a severe head injury that required 6 days in ICU. since then the energy level has gone down. I just run out of gas at the end of the day. I walk my dog about 3-6 miles a day so I get plenty of walking.
I still own and drive Streetrods but no racing.
I played senior baseball until I was 72 but my eye sight has aged too. I no longer can focus on quickly moving object ligh a fast ball. It doesn’t affect driving or day to day things but ball sports are out. In fact the doctor says no sports at all. I can not fall again. Especially a head injury.
I live with almost daily headaches. Not migraines but almost constant head pain.

I don’t drink or smoke don’t drink sodas and eat very plain bland foods. No cheese or relatives. I actually weigh less than I did in HS.

So getting old affects everyone, some more than others. It’s important to maintain physical condition all your life. It’s really hard to rebuild when you get to 60’s. Keep the weight down,
Mental exercise is important too. You don’t need to revive calculus but remain mentally active. Try to remember things whether they mean much or not the idea is to just think about things. Reading and just watching decent tv is a good thing.

Following YB probably is not a bad thing either.LOL

Last edited by bentwings; Yesterday at 05:51 AM.
bentwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM   #37
Jizzum
Flame Hardened...........
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by groucho2 View Post
LMAO

Itís the Banks lawn, Remember the Reverse Mortgage.......
Jizzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM   #38
forcd02
Smoked Another SBC

I will be 73 next month, still hit the gym 2-3 times a week. I go thru the Keiser machines, prob
don't do the cardio I should, but heart is strong. Diet and exercise are important, they claim it can
ward off cancer, but who knows. You will lose strength with age, no matter how hard you work out.
I do 100 sit ups a day, just don't want a fat stomach. Prob you should start out working on cardio,
as you get some wind back move up. You cant stop the aging process, but you can work on making
what years you have left more enjoyable by still being mobile. I have been lucky, still able do all my
car stuff myself, paint, body, fab., etc-but I have to write stuff down, or bolts don't get tightened, lol.
One thing I have found for me, my body feels better by skipping a few days now and then on the
work out, like it needs time to heal from the work out, lol.
Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM   #39
Deadon
Smoked another BBC

Fatigue can be cured by Jack Daniels and daily blow job . Just make sure your woman doesn't purchase that honey garbage and she swallows .
Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM   #40
Hollow65
Smoked Another SBC

My business partner is 67, recently started getting testosterone shots from his doctor. He is doing well, still a mad man.
Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM   #41
70ss540
Smoked Another SBC

Whenever I feel like I'm getting too old to do any exercise, I think of a customer that comes in our shop. He is 76 now and still runs marathons and rides a bike. When I first talked to him about 5 years ago, he was training for some event. Said he ran 19 miles thru the woods the day before and his son was there to confirm it.
70ss540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM   #42
99PanozAIV
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK55FLA View Post
You never gave us your weight/height, body fat %

I own a Construction Company and I work with my guys,,I'm 58, big arms, big shoulders, flat stomach,,when people try to guess my age most say 35-40

I have been blessed with good Genes,

I would research how to get off the Metaformin,,,

God gave us everything we need to be healthy,,you just need to find what you need.
Iím 5í10Ē, 188. Weightís been rock steady the past few years but I wouldnít mind losing a bit.

Thanks for the stories and comments. Good stuff and interesting to hear. It makes me feel like maybe itís simply getting older and I just need to fight back a bit harder. I still plan on doing that fitness assessment some time this week. Iíll see what that says and post it up.

1999 Panoz AIV roadster, one of 55 made that year

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence -- Hitchens
99PanozAIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM   #43
mmb617
Pullin gears

I'm 68 and have been involved with powerlifting for over 40 years. I still lift 3 days a week and perform all 3 powerlifts. I do squats and benches on Monday and Friday and deadlifts on Wednesdays. I used to do a lot of other exercises as well but now I have to ration my energy level to those 3 lifts plus some ab work. Over the years the amount of weight I can lift has slowly eroded to the point that I can now do only about 65-70% of what I once could do, but my research indicates that's on par for my age.

I honestly think that my fanatic devotion to never missing a workout unless absolutely necessary has contributed to my general good health. The only medication I take is an over the counter multi vitamin each day. I still get some muscle soreness after a workout even after all those years but that's probably because I never bought into the theory that as we age we need to switch to lighter weights and higher reps. I go low reps and heavy as I can handle all the time.

I don't get why some people think squats are hard on the knees, or that deadlifts will screw up your back. Proper form is needed in any weight lifting, but there's no reason those lifts should damage your body.

We're not real fast, we're more what folks call half-fast
mmb617 is offline   Reply With Quote