Shackles keep flipping? - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Trailers

Trailers Talk about trailers, upgrades, goodies and towing

Old 08-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #1
Tech265
Spooled up

Default Shackles keep flipping?

Been in shackles once but, only because I was little and Dad was a Sheriff's deputy.
I went thru the suspension on my 7500 GVW open trailer and replaced all the bushings. The equalizers were worn so, I replaced them also. Everything was new but, same size except, the spring shackles. Evidently the shackles are causing the equalizer to be overload because, it keeps trying to flip the shackles over.
Question is; If I buy new shackles, can I buy too them too long. As obviously I have found they can be too short.
Tech265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019, 05:23 PM   #2
LLLosingit
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Shackles keep flipping?

If they are to long they can flex side to side. I would just measure the ones you took off and try to get some that length or slightly longer or drill new holes if possible.
LLLosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
Tech265
Spooled up

I ordered 2 different, longer sets of spring shackles and will give 1 set a try, then the other, if needed.
Sucks getting older, I know I measured the original parts and should have written it down.
Tech265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:16 AM   #4
Smokin408
Launchin

You have to make sure the trailer is very close to level when loaded. If not, thats what causes the shackles to flip. Set it on the jack and go up and down watching the equalizers. you will see what I mean. Ideally you want the trailer perfectly level when loaded. This is so when you go up or down an incline the suspension can move either way without bottoming out on the frame.
Smokin408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #5
kerrynzl
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech265 View Post
Been in shackles once but, only because I was little and Dad was a Sheriff's deputy.
I went thru the suspension on my 7500 GVW open trailer and replaced all the bushings. The equalizers were worn so, I replaced them also. Everything was new but, same size except, the spring shackles. Evidently the shackles are causing the equalizer to be overload because, it keeps trying to flip the shackles over.
Question is; If I buy new shackles, can I buy too them too long. As obviously I have found they can be too short.
Out of curiosity, Are your shackles above or below the rockers in normal position?
And which axle flips the shackles?
Is it 2w or 4w brakes?

This problem is common on 4 wheel braked equalizer suspension with the shackles above the rockers [in tension]
The rear shackle flips below due to brake torque on the rear axle when the trailer is empty [and the user forgets to back off the brake controller]
The brake torque is great enough to lift the whole trailer [when empty] and "wrap" the rear spring in an "S" shape [shortening it]

What I do is weld a "Bridge" across the shackles to prevent them inverting [offset them so it will return]
kerrynzl is offline   Reply With Quote