Brake questions. - Page 2 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Old 08-20-2019, 08:19 PM   #16
scj70
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Brake questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horndog View Post
Mark, you need to know what the current pedal ratio is. PERIOD

And if you have the room on the brake pedal to drill a hole closer to the pivot, but keeps the mc pushrod level, then by doing this, you'll increase your pedal ratio.

I like as close to 7:1 as possible. You need to get as much pedal ratio as you can, this is important.

Then look at going to a smaller bore master cylinder. The smaller bore will increase the pressure at the calipers.
^^^^this^^^^
scj70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #17
bigblockmark
Smoked another BBC

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I am writing them down to go thru them and see what happens. I did find today that there are 2 positions for the rod to mount to. Mine is in the upper position as close to the pivot point as can be. This means only way to get more pedal feel is longer pedal below the pivot with this size master cylinder?

Since nothing I have ever done had any effect on my stopping power, I wonder if my bleeding procedure is the issue. What are recommended tools and procedure other than just pump the pedal and bleed every bleeder until no air?

Last edited by bigblockmark; 08-20-2019 at 08:21 PM.
bigblockmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #18
bigblockmark
Smoked another BBC

I did bench bleed the master cylinder when new. Any need to go after that again?
Old 08-20-2019, 08:38 PM   #19
classracer
Smoked another BBC

no and your bleed procedure is fine, old school works though you don't need the jar. What fluid are you using and how old is it?
classracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:28 PM   #20
bigblockmark
Smoked another BBC

DOT 4 per Strange. 2 years
Old 08-20-2019, 10:28 PM   #21
Eman85
Smoked Another SBC

About $40 buys a pressure gauge and adapters from Summit. Unless you can ck pressure you're depending on guessing and luck.
Eman85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:40 PM   #22
bigblockmark
Smoked another BBC

Yep. Strange Engineering #P2360 kit, with gauge and adapter to caliper bleeder. Looks like a good investment. Might tell me if I need a different bore master cylinder or not? Buddy just offered up his pressure bleeder in case I want to try bleeding again and another buddy offered to let me use his lift.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:38 AM   #23
mufflerguy
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockmark View Post
Yep. Strange Engineering #P2360 kit, with gauge and adapter to caliper bleeder. Looks like a good investment. Might tell me if I need a different bore master cylinder or not? Buddy just offered up his pressure bleeder in case I want to try bleeding again and another buddy offered to let me use his lift.
FYI, Aerospace wanted 900 up front and 1200 in the rear.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:47 AM   #24
classracer
Smoked another BBC

https://www.markwilliams.com/brake-system-pressure.html

https://www.markwilliams.com/braketech.html

Last edited by classracer; 08-21-2019 at 05:48 AM.
classracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 05:03 PM   #25
Horndog
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockmark View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I am writing them down to go thru them and see what happens. I did find today that there are 2 positions for the rod to mount to. Mine is in the upper position as close to the pivot point as can be. This means only way to get more pedal feel is longer pedal below the pivot with this size master cylinder?

Since nothing I have ever done had any effect on my stopping power, I wonder if my bleeding procedure is the issue. What are recommended tools and procedure other than just pump the pedal and bleed every bleeder until no air?
Yes .... if you were to keep the existing pedal, you would need to add length to it to increase the pedal ratio.

As long as there are no air bubbles in the mc, you won't have to bench-bleed it again but do check it if you have taken it off the car.

I always gravity-bleed the brakes and let the fluid run for 5-8 seconds at each corner. I go around the car twice ... making sure that the mc doesn't run dry. On cars with the mc in the OEM location, I don't run the typical pump, pump, hold, bleed routine. Only do this on cars where the mc has been relocated to floor or below floor level. Then of course, residual valves are required.

After you've bled the brakes and no improvements are found, if you can't drill a hole higher on the brake pedal, closer to the pivot, then your only option at that point would be a smaller bore mc. My vote would be for a 7/8" dia.

" ...oh no, what the fuck was that?
...the motor ... we've thrown a rod.
...is that serious?
...yup."

I really don't know which is worse ..... all of DOTARD's lies all the time, or all the trumphumpers lapping them up with not even giving them a critical thought

Last edited by Horndog; 08-22-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Horndog is offline   Reply With Quote