Make a Doug Nash Clutchless? - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Transmission - Hutch's Transmission Service > Stick shift and clutch

Old 05-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
Brian261
Smoked another BBC

Default Make a Doug Nash Clutchless?

Has anyone ever tried to modify a Faceplated DN cluthcless by doing something like cutting the sliders into and ramping the edges on the faceplates and(or) using some kind of spring like the G force Gf5r.....My buddy and I that does all my machine work on my motor were talking and kicking ideas around?
Brian261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Bubanator
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Make a Doug Nash Clutchless?

cant you install gf5r guts into a nash case?
Bubanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Brian261
Smoked another BBC

Dont think so...its different......but I know there are some talented people on here like Battlestar and weedburner.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
weedburner
Pullin gears

I think it could be done, but i've not tried it yet.

I've been thinking about converting my Toploader's 1/2 shift to clutchless, but i'm going to have to come up with another way to provide a little clutch slip for the gearchange. Mine is primarily a street car, i don't want the hassle of a Softloc.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Brian261
Smoked another BBC

Thanks for your response, yeah if you drive yours on the street it wouldnt be benificial.....my faceplated nash shifts flawless with the clutch but I tried to shift it with out the clutch and it wasnt havin it, it was like hitting a brick wall. Im going to talk to my machinist again and go more in depth. From what Im understanding the faceplates that I got from Liberty to do my nash are like the road race stuff in a Jericho or G force
Old 05-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Battlestar
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian261 View Post
Dont think so...its different......but I know there are some talented people on here like Battlestar and weedburner.
Oh, don't you go putting me on a pedestal...................

Actually you can put Gforce stuff in a Nash, but it's not a bolt in. The gears are wider, then there is the handcuff to deal with, blah, blah, blah. The gears on the cluster need moved around and that entails recutting snap ring grooves. All very doable once you know what to do.

Right now I have one just like that in my car. I can't take credit for it, it was built by Stanley Dye in Carlisle, PA. He has been my parts connection for about 15 yrs. He is buddies with Leonard Long(Gforce) and does this on the side(along with his other businesses). I hurt mine(chunked 3rd gear-due to faulty detent pin), Stanley had this and wanted me to try it out.

I should have taken a picture of mine before I glued it together and put it in the car. Basically looks like a Gforce, but in a Nash case.

Quote:
my faceplated nash shifts flawless with the clutch but I tried to shift it with out the clutch and it wasnt havin it,
As for clutchless face plating? It should go into gear without fuss as long as you get it out of gear. You might have issues getting it out of gear, if your face plates are the dovetail style(7* backcut). If you want easier clutchless, the face plate arms are flat(no backcut) to allow easier pulling out of gear.

"I get pushed outta shape and it's hard to steer, but I get rubber in all four gears"

Last edited by Battlestar; 05-24-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Battlestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Brian261
Smoked another BBC

Thanks battlestar, well if you ever take that tranny out I would love to see some pics. I think my faceplates are flat or at least they looked flat.....when I go down the return road to warm up it shifts perfect without the clutch on the 2 to 3 shift but when I put a heavy load on it on the track it wouldnt go into 2nd.....I got it out of first. I run a Ram 470 with sintered iron disc.....I have 4 turns out of it now with no weight. Going out again this saturday and gonna take 1 more round out and maybe put a little weight on it.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
weedburner
Pullin gears

Splitting the sliders is pretty easy, i've actually done that quite a few times. The method i use is to chuck the slider in the lathe and use a thin cutoff wheel in a die grinder mounted in the toolholder.

Using a hub that has synchro key slots would give a place for the needed slider return springs.

For my street driven trans, I can live with it wanting to pop out of 1st on de-cell as a don't really spend much time in 1st when i'm driving it around. I would miss having my synchro in 1st though, as it's really nice to be able to put the trans in gear while the engine is running without a lot of drama. Could add a clutch brake similar to what some big truck transmissions use.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
Bubanator
Smoked another BBC

everyone ive ever spoken to says they have the 5th gear in a nash. pro shifted or syncro, they all seem to have to shift it slow or they miss 5th. my dad had one back in the 90s going 9.60s at 143, 7000 shifts and it only went into 5th a couple times for him powershifting, and this one was fresh from liberty.
Bubanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
3pedals
Gigity
Smoked another BBC

I faceplated 5th in my nash , it goes into 5th everytime with no drama.
3pedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
Brian261
Smoked another BBC

I faceplated every gear in my nash....but I only have a 4 speed as the 4th and 5th gear are the same ratio.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
Brian261
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedburner View Post
Splitting the sliders is pretty easy, i've actually done that quite a few times. The method i use is to chuck the slider in the lathe and use a thin cutoff wheel in a die grinder mounted in the toolholder.

Using a hub that has synchro key slots would give a place for the needed slider return springs.

For my street driven trans, I can live with it wanting to pop out of 1st on de-cell as a don't really spend much time in 1st when i'm driving it around. I would miss having my synchro in 1st though, as it's really nice to be able to put the trans in gear while the engine is running without a lot of drama. Could add a clutch brake similar to what some big truck transmissions use.
Good idea's weedburner....Im about to be down for the summer(too hot to race) and Im going to see about maybe trying something if my buddy has time to machine it and help me....he is very busy right now.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:20 AM   #13
416challenger
Burnout box

I have a clutchless Nash 5 speed , it looks identical to the g-force without the handcuff . Split sliders look pretty well the same , faceplates are a little different but similar .
416challenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:11 PM   #14
TxRed
Pre-Staged

416- Does your clutchless Nash have any markings on the case from MLM or do you know who converted it? Do you have any pictures?
TxRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2019, 07:01 AM   #15
Brian261
Smoked another BBC

I sold the Doug Nash I had back in 2015 and found a clutchless doug nash..it had split sliders and didn't have a handcuff like yours....Mine had the MLM stamp on it