Whipple 510r fitment - Page 2 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Supercharged

Old 07-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #16
DFW
Spooled up

Garage
Default Re: Whipple 510r fitment

Someone posted a photo (few years ago) of the whipple bypass on a thread on here it was machined down (notched) to clear?? 3DTIM maybe??
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2019, 12:06 PM   #17
dhartley
Burnout box

Gtashief it's the front to rear measurement that counts mine is 1.5 inches I believe from the front blower mounting hole to the furthest forward intake mounting hole if you can get that it would be great thx. flusher I'm not sure about this but I believe a competition manifold does not have a provision for a tstat not good for the street as far as I know
dhartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:33 AM   #18
Flusher
Burnout box

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhartley View Post
flusher I'm not sure about this but I believe a competition manifold does not have a provision for a tstat not good for the street as far as I know
My mistake about the thermostat, but the rails where the blower stud holes are drilled & tapped appears to have sufficient material to relocate the holes. You definitely can not do that to every manifold though, Weiand for example. Just trying to give you alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhartley View Post
I do not have the drive yet I am working out the positioning first I would rather not use a spacer as I have channelled the body and that coupled with the taller whipple is going to position it high enough as is. Looks like I will either use a crank trigger or use the bds shift forward 1 inch adapter to the whipple adapter which will raise it 5/8 inch higher but as I've said I'm not thrilled with adapter to an adapter. I am currently waiting for bds to send me drawings of their adapter to make sure it will work. If I make a new adapter it's not as simple as it sounds as the whipple adapter has threaded bosses in it similar to valve guide bosses to bolt the thing together it would take a bit of matchining nothing hard but time consuming and expensive . I was hoping someone else would have used a different manifold that works but that does not seem to be the case and as I've said the bds and wiend seem the same and I have not got my hands on a blower shop one
Looking at https://whipplesuperchargers.com/ind...product_id=244 , I now have a better understanding of what you are saying. If I were in your situation, fitment being of utmost importance, I would make one adapter plate that replaced the Whipple plate AND that same plate would position the blower exactly where I wanted it.

The features you describe as "similar to valve guide bosses," though a nice attention to detail, I do not believe are critical to fit, form, and function. Assuming you would be working on a conventional mill or with typical home hobbyist tooling, the design could be simplified to better facilitate production. Even conventionally, if you wanted those features, you could rough them square with a ball end mill and shape them with a die grinder.

I would replace or reduce the tapered transition, into the intake manifold, with a generous radius. Sharp corners seem detrimental to flow in this area. I have never liked the sharp corners in anything with the word "adapter" in the name. You could mill this conventionally or by hand with a 4" grinder and die grinder.

Mate this to whatever manifold you feel best suits your needs.

I think your real limitation is going to be the crankshaft pulley; the stack of pulleys, balancer, crank trigger et al. Depending on how far forward you push the blower, for distributor clearance. Combine that with the shortest drive snout, it's possible that you might need a pulley spacer. Mocking it up will let you know exactly where you stand.

I think you can handle it, it's not as hard as you think it is.

Good luck,

Joe
Flusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:11 PM   #19
dhartley
Burnout box

Flusher thx for the reply if you picture the adapter the opening is tapered for flow and the bosses I talk about are there to thread the bolts into it's kinda hard to describe it I played machinest for a year so I have a good idea of what I'm up against I know it can be done just a pain to do i was just hoping someone else would know if a different manifold will work
Old 08-01-2019, 09:48 AM   #20
Flusher
Burnout box

A TBS setup that has a thermostat provision was at our shop yesterday. I took some quick measurements for you. Above the #1 cylinder,:

The front manifold bolt to the front blower bolt is 1.375"

With an ATI damper and a single groove pulley, the timing cover surface of the block to the back of the belt is 4"

NOTE: the rear of the belt was against the V-groove pulley.

From the front cover of the blower to the back of the belt is 2.75"

There appears to be enough material on the manifold to relocate the blower studs forward 3/4" to 1"
Flusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:01 PM   #21
dhartley
Burnout box

Thx flusher I have been busy trying to confirm this and it would appear to be so I am getting my hands on one and will confirm when I get it on another note what about alt and power steering brackets for use with a motor plate and a blower
Old 08-23-2019, 06:01 AM   #22
dhartley
Burnout box

Jeff 440 if your still there I would appreciate any pic of your valve modifications my email is [email protected] .ca
Old 09-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #23
DFW
Spooled up

Garage

[/IMG]
Old 09-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #24
DFW
Spooled up

Garage

Old 09-23-2019, 02:11 PM   #25
DFW
Spooled up

Garage

Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 11:23 PM   #26
dhartley
Burnout box

Dfw thx very much for the picture I may have it beat I'll post what I did when I'm done