Whipple 510r fitment - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Supercharged

Old 11-05-2018, 10:56 PM   #1
dhartley
Burnout box

Default Whipple 510r fitment

Hi gus I have been building a street strip 55 chev for a bit and am getting set to order a whipple 510r for a big block chev has anybody put 1 on with the whipple intake and if so is it the same placement as a typical 871. I want to make sure I get the right drive for it. I am in canada and it would suck to get the wrong stuff sent here. I need to keep it as tight to the motor as possible so I can run a good sized rad and fan /shroud been talking to whipple and bds but so far haven't got an exact this is what you need
dhartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
Danny Humphreys
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Whipple 510r fitment

The set up is just like any other blower as far as front to rear. Belt length will be determined by intake height, overdrive , etc.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
dhartley
Burnout box

Is that with the whipple intake
Old 01-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #4
fordsbyjay
Burnout box

You ever get this sorted?

Pro Stock Performance in Edmonton builds a lot of blower motors so something as common as a BBC drive may be easier to locate in Canada to save all the border hassles.
fordsbyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:31 AM   #5
dhartley
Burnout box

Well I recieved my 510r and got a bds manifold and sure enough the by pass valve hits the distributer if I turn the bypass upside down and do some notching I may be able to get by if I get msd small distributer I could go crank trigger and crab cap but then I loose the mechanical advance I could get the bds 1 inch forward adapter plate but then I have a manifold to bds adapter to whipple adapter to blower not where I want to be. more with the added height as it is already taller than a roots so after all this typing I am asking if someone has similar experience and had anyone done this using another blower manifold also if I use the whipple manifold I have been told it is not a good choice without the intercooler because of fuel distribution and also it is three inches further ahead which I have been told by bds will mean moving the lower pulley ahead which is not good as far as rad fitment. I am seriously looking at making my own adapter but could really use some help from people who have run this blower on a big block chev need to work it out soon I only have about 2 weeks to return the bds intake if that's the route to go thx Dana ps I could run no bypass but I hope to street drive this a fair bit
Old 07-10-2019, 10:42 PM   #6
DHR Darren
OG Member since 9/7/06
Smoked Another SBC

Please post photos
Old 07-11-2019, 08:02 AM   #7
thatmichael
Spooled up

I'd find a way to make the bypass work, those have the most polite idle ever for a big blower.
thatmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:07 PM   #8
dhartley
Burnout box

I'll try and figure out how to post pics I'm mechanical not computer orientated
Old 07-12-2019, 11:02 PM   #9
jeff440sc
Pre-Staged

This will help you if its vacuum can hitting the distributor . You can unbolt the bypass
and rotate, this puts the vacuum canister on the passenger side.
You will have to make a new bracket to hold the vacuum canister and make a new lever for the valve. If you post your email I can send you a picture of how it looks after this modification .
Will it clear after doing this? I dont know , I had to do this because of the vacuum can hitting the fire wall. If its the can that hits you can do what I did and get it to work.
jeff440sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:10 AM   #10
dhartley
Burnout box

Thx for the reply actually one of the first things I tried was rotating the valve but no good the aluminum mounting flange hits. May be we have different bypasses.my email is [email protected] any pics would be appreciated. also since I first posted I have checked a wiend manifold and it would be in the same place. I am off to the drags tomorrow and will be looking for a blower shop manifold to see if its different . And I'll be dammed if I can figure out how to post pictures I'll post some when I do
Old 07-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #11
Danny Humphreys
Smoked another BBC

you could run a blower spacer, but you'd need a longer belt for that
Old 07-23-2019, 07:28 PM   #12
dhartley
Burnout box

I do not have the drive yet I am working out the positioning first I would rather not use a spacer as I have channelled the body and that coupled with the taller whipple is going to position it high enough as is. Looks like I will either use a crank trigger or use the bds shift forward 1 inch adapter to the whipple adapter which will raise it 5/8 inch higher but as I've said I'm not thrilled with adapter to an adapter. I am currently waiting for bds to send me drawings of their adapter to make sure it will work. If I make a new adapter it's not as simple as it sounds as the whipple adapter has threaded bosses in it similar to valve guide bosses to bolt the thing together it would take a bit of matchining nothing hard but time consuming and expensive . I was hoping someone else would have used a different manifold that works but that does not seem to be the case and as I've said the bds and wiend seem the same and I have not got my hands on a blower shop one
Old 07-23-2019, 07:29 PM   #13
dhartley
Burnout box

Can you tell me what your setup is
Old 07-23-2019, 10:45 PM   #14
GTAShief
Smoked Another SBC

I can get you a measurement on tbs manifold. I might be able to get it tomorrow. The weiand manifolds have generally been one of the lower ones from what I remember.
GTAShief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2019, 08:51 AM   #15
Flusher
Burnout box

It appears that there is sufficient material on the TBS Competition Manifold that you could drill & tap to relocate the blower forward without an adapter plate.
Flusher is offline   Reply With Quote