Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Big Nitrous Explosion at Grudge race at Middle Georgia Motorsports Park

8K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  vegaman924 
#1 ·
#3 ·
what makes you think the bottle valve is within reach? and even if it is another 3-5 seconds turning a valve off is not first on my mind, sorry but if I see big fire like that right in front of me my first thought is get the hell out and away to save my ass!

#9 ·
Could a valve be utilized that would seal off main line if an exponential difference in pressure is detected amongst a short time period. The largest orifice used to meter nitrous flow cannot flow equal to a line with no obstructions. When an unobtrusive amount of flow is detected valve will close.

#12 ·
Is it my imagination,or was Something was amiss when they were sitting there purging it through the motor? I say that by the way it was popping out of the exhaust(late).Probably should’ve backed out at that point? Anyway, in hindsight..what do we think caused it? Retarded timing? Trying to spray too much at too low rpm’s? Cold motor/intake? I want to build a N2O car..but shit like this makes me want to go turbo or supercharged. Wonder if a fire suppression system would’ve saved it?

#22 ·
^^^ What Corcon said. I cannot reach both bottle valves, so I have two 1/4 turn ball valves next to my shifter. Ball valves both "off", & then Ignition switch "off", to stop the fuel pump...will prevent a bad situation from getting worse. Also, EVERY TIME I start the engine I turn it over for a couple seconds BEFORE I turn on the Ignition switch...as a precaution in the event there is some n20 that leaked in to the engine.

#23 ·
That quick burndown looks to be the result of fuel lines being ruptured during the intitial backfire and the fuel pumps running and pouring fuel into the engine compartment..nitrous is non-flammable however just like oxygen it accelerates combusion when a fuel is present... Pumps need to be shut off first IMHO...then the nitrous shut off via 1/4 turn ball valves etc...For a better safety system a 12v
solenoid could be plumbed in line for nitrous supply and immediately shut off if needed with the push of a button or flip of a switch..........

#24 ·
Will you guys please stop repeating the misinformation that nitrous is non-flammable, because it most certainly is. Nitrous does not need any other combustible to release a large amount of heat.

In fact, nitrous oxide is used in rocketry as a mono-propellant because it needs no other fuel or oxidizer to sustain a self-perpetuating exothermic (heat releasing) reaction with the energy release equal to 40% an equal weight of TNT.

The nitrous dissociation reaction is not combustion in the common understanding of the word 'combustion', in fact it is the opposite, the atoms in a molecule are separated, instead of combined, but in the case of nitrous oxide the dissociation releases heat.

The N2O molecule dissociates (splits apart) when subject to temperature above about 575 F and releases as heat the bond energy that holds the N and O together.

When N2O acts as an oxidizer, the exothermic molecular dissociation reaction occurs first, releasing heat and freeing the Oxygen atom from the Nitrogen atoms, the free Oxygen then is available to combust with available combustibles and release more heat.

Give your attention span a workout with this --> https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a489459.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.