Anyone make anything good lately? - Page 16 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Cook of the weak

Cook of the weak Grilling, Smoking, Slow Cookers, Dutch Ovens and other forms of cooking!!!

Old 11-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #226
Mista Bone
Trolling the Trolls
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickoryhound View Post
What is gravy soppins?

It's the stuff that's normally left on the plate that you sop up with good cornbread or a buttermilk biscuit.......normally associated with red eye gravy but works for any good sauce you want to get every last drop of on the plate.

Next time you roll through the high country of nc , stop in a local breakfast house, ask for some country ham and red eye gravy with extra soppins.......if your lucky they will bring you an extra bowl of the thin coffee based gravy.
You have any suggestions?

Sunday I'm headed from eastern PA down towards Wilson, NC, then onto Greensboro for the night. Monday I'm hightailing it back to Ohio.
Mista Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #227
Hickoryhound
Smoked Another SBC

Greensboro go check out stameys by the colliseum......over in Lexington I like speedies.
Neither are as great as I remember them as a kid( Hardly anything ever is), but still very good.
I get mine 3 ways......sliced, coarse chopped and minced .....red slaw.....hush puppies and dip( dip is the warm sauce they serve on the side to dip your sandwich or que in.)

Not real sure about Wilson area for BBQ.....have never eaten at any of them up there, I hear good things from people about that region for good que, just never made it up there to try anyone's yet.

If you want a treat....shoot over to the coast near Greenville and east Carolina university and seek out B's BBQ.......get there early prepare to stand in line and go into a building that you might otherwise think condemned or abandoned........if it weren't for the folks wrapped around the building trying to get in.

But once they are out, it's over.....come back tomorrow......it's a true BBQ shack that is legendary in those parts.
Hickoryhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:19 PM   #228
JimW
Smoked another BBC

For tomorrow night's dinner..... For two.

In a 8-10" saute pan, 6 scallop's, 6 large uncooked peeled shrimp, small can ( I know, I know ) chopped clam's with the clam juice thrown in, 6 piece's of the miniature corn like used in Chinese food, 6- 4" piece's of sliced up skin on zucchini, a few of the mini potatoes', 6 clove's of garlic on each scallop, 1 1/2 TBS of butter chunked up, top it off lightly with pesto sauce, no salt, use fish sauce instead.
You could scale the portion's down a bit with a small chunk of your fav fish on top of it all.
I LOVE grouper, shark.

350* for 22 minute's.

Jim
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #229
Hickoryhound
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
For tomorrow night's dinner..... For two.

In a 8-10" saute pan, 6 scallop's, 6 large uncooked peeled shrimp, small can ( I know, I know ) chopped clam's with the clam juice thrown in, 6 piece's of the miniature corn like used in Chinese food, 6- 4" piece's of sliced up skin on zucchini, a few of the mini potatoes', 6 clove's of garlic on each scallop, 1 1/2 TBS of butter chunked up, top it off lightly with pesto sauce, no salt, use fish sauce instead.
You could scale the portion's down a bit with a small chunk of your fav fish on top of it all.
I LOVE grouper, shark.

350* for 22 minute's.

Jim
What time do we eat????.......grouper my favorite , by far..........ask your fish guy for grouper cheeks, sweet pockets of cheek meat that used to be scrapped .....all of our fish markets now have them......almost like scallop a little in the texture.

Your dish sounds great......I would shave a few large slivers of parm/reg on top of it when you served it......and a big chunk of crusty bread for all those soppins you will have, lol
Old 11-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #230
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Well, and I had to settle for this:

Muslim Green Curry Shrimp

Ingredients:

1 lb jumbo shrimp
Corn starch for dredging
Oil for frying
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 large sweet onion
1 fresh pineapple
Shishito Peppers
10 oz medium size rice noodles
2 cans coconut milk
Handful of non-salted cashews
Big handful fresh basil
5 gloves garlic
Fresh ginger
2 tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
4 tbsp veg oil
2 tbsp curry powder

Instructions:

Remove shells from shrimp, salt n pepper n set aside in a bowl.

Heat oil to 350 degrees and hold temp. Course chop pineapple, peppers, onion, and basil. Open cans of coconut milk. Crush garlic and fine dice, grate ginger, combine and set aside. Add some corn starch into a bowl, add shrimp, add more corn starch on top and toss till shrimp is well coated. Fry and set aside. Sautee Shishito Peppers and place into a warm oven. (Once everything get going it happens quite quickly, so have everything prepared in advance)

Ready, set, go. This is where things happen pretty fast.

Cook noodles in boiling water till done. Drain and set aside.

Heat a large wok till smoking. Add veg oil, curry powder, crushed cloves garlic and about 1 tbsp of grated fresh ginger. (or more to taste) cook for about 45 seconds. Add veggie mixture and sear. Add basil and coconut milk and bring to a rolling boil. Stir in fish sauce, soy sauce and sesame oil. Remove from heat and putt some cooked noodles on a plate, add curried veggies n sauce on top. Add some Cashews and top with Shrimp. Garnish around edges with Shishito peppers. Enjoy…. Good dish!

Denny
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #231
Hickoryhound
Smoked Another SBC

Looks disgusting ......I wouldn't eat it.

Said no one ever.

Great looking Denny.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #232
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Looks disgusting ......I wouldn't eat it.

Said no one ever.

Great looking Denny.
Thanks! I enjoy good Asian food. Had my workout partner over for lunch yesterday and did the Miso Salmon. As mentioned prior, I really am not a big Salmon fan but this stuff literally melts in your mouth. The marinade and getting a good crust does wonders to it.

Looks like I will have a very good chance of getting my Asian food fix real quick. Will be in Beijing on Monday, then on to Xian and finally the opium dens of the crown jewel of Asia.... Shanghai. Always looking to seeing if I can find ideas to take back home.

Denny
Old 11-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #233
Hickoryhound
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny McLain View Post
Thanks! I enjoy good Asian food. Had my workout partner over for lunch yesterday and did the Miso Salmon. As mentioned prior, I really am not a big Salmon fan but this stuff literally melts in your mouth. The marinade and getting a good crust does wonders to it.

Looks like I will have a very good chance of getting my Asian food fix real quick. Will be in Beijing on Monday, then on to Xian and finally the opium dens of the crown jewel of Asia.... Shanghai. Always looking to seeing if I can find ideas to take back home.

Denny
Fucking awesome.......hope you get to find some " parts unknown" over there on the cuisine aspect of your trip.

Safe travels and report back.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:01 PM   #234
Hickoryhound
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:

Denny
Salmon salad ( like tuna salad) isn't too bad with some in season maters........other than that, not a huge salmon fan either.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #235
JimW
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
What time do we eat????.......grouper my favorite , by far..........ask your fish guy for grouper cheeks, sweet pockets of cheek meat that used to be scrapped .....all of our fish markets now have them......almost like scallop a little in the texture.

Your dish sounds great......I would shave a few large slivers of parm/reg on top of it when you served it......and a big chunk of crusty bread for all those soppins you will have, lol
Hard to get a grouper filet much less cheek's.
We are to far from the source....

I can't even get Royal Red shrimp........

Most of our available seafood is out of the north east, Maine down to the Boston area.

HH, it's funny, I was born in Lexington Kentucky,.
Adopted as a new born, we moved to Maine when I was 3 YO.
Came here to Canandaigua when I was 8 YO.
Really don't care for southern cooking.
Don't like grit's, southern fried chicken, biscuit's and gravy, allergic to anything heavy smoked BBQ......
I do have a real love of moonshine!!!!!

Jim
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #236
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
hope you get to find some " parts unknown" over there on the cuisine aspect of your trip.

Safe travels and report back.
Gonna do my best and used the friend of a friend method to figure out where we are going to eat. The soup dumpling, or xiaolongbao, for example is to Shanghai what the chicken wing is to Buffalo.

Something you gotta try.

Another on our list is: Da Dong Roast Duck Restaurant. Rated "Chinese restaurant of the year" for Peking Duck and recommended by "a friend of a friend." The menu alone is a work of art and 160 pages. Just something though about "Da Dong" that sounds just a bit ghetto, but what the hay.

Of course, my specialty is the street food.

This is what they consider to be a "Hamburger."

Denny
Old 11-19-2016, 08:58 AM   #237
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:

Most of our available seafood is out of the north east, Maine down to the Boston area.

Don't like grit's, southern fried chicken, biscuit's and gravy, allergic to anything heavy smoked BBQ......

Jim
Man, I hated grits for the longest time, but never had good grits. Now I make them. Believer it or not, have never had Moonshine. Before I die? Sounds like I need to.

Denny
Old 11-19-2016, 09:01 AM   #238
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Well............ on to the anyone make anything good lately. Last night. Lemon/Pepper Brazilian Chicken. It was good.

Tied to add a little extra flavor by catching the string of fire.

Denny
Old 11-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #239
cepx111
Former RJ instigator
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:

Jim
You sir have good taste in shrimp.

My wife is down in Gulf Shores, Alabama for her brother's 50th wedding anniversary and she asked me if I wanted her to bring me back anything and I said without missing a beat, 5lbs royal red jumbo shrimp, hands down the best shrimp on the planet.
cepx111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2016, 02:57 PM   #240
RICK55FLA
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Man, I hated grits for the longest time, but never had good grits. Now I make them. Believer it or not, have never had Moonshine. Before I die? Sounds like I need to.

Denny

I'll second that^^^^^^^^ Growing up in Ohio, never had Grits. Never had GREAT Grits or even good grits, till someone sent me a bag of these..and Hands Down, have never had better!!!!!

http://www.loganturnpikemill.com/pro...-porridge.html
RICK55FLA is offline   Reply With Quote