New to boosted Ignition Timing - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Supercharged

Old 09-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
chrisjk383
Spooled up

Default New to boosted Ignition Timing

Hey guys,

Building my first boosted engine... Will be a 383 sbc F1A pro charger 1000HP street strip/drag week build. 93 pump gas. The car WILL see street time. I am new to boost and was wondering if you guys could shed some light on timing and preventing knock on pump gas. Other info: Powerglide, solid roller, blow thru carbureted, 3000 pound 73 camaro

Question 01: For my application, how do you recommend keeping my intake temps down? A/A inter cooler? A/W inter cooler? No inter cooler necessary? Water/meth injection? I heard that on the street the inter cooler doesn't do anything anyways once its heat soaked? Plus most street driving will just be commuting, its a drag car so I wont be driving it like I would a corvette

Question 2: How do you recommend controlling my timing to both reduce detonation AND control my launch? I dont want any knock issues, is this even possible? For 1000 street able HP does a set it and forget it like the OEM method even exist? School me please! Trying to get a plan and budget together ahead of the build

Thanks,
Chris
chrisjk383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #2
94tealGT
Pullin gears

Default Re: New to boosted Ignition Timing

I think most will use a 7531 msd for ignition or if you want the newer grid system a lot of guys now use that.

And air to air is very effective on the street as itís always got airflow moving through it for cooling. Long as you buy a good quality one and a big one.
Air to water is kind of the king, but youíll need a heat exchanger for lots of street driving.

Water meth works well for cooling as well, might be easier to control
That with efi vs a carb set up though.

FWIW I made 900wheel years ago with a PC 950hp air to air and went 9.20ís. Was an awesome street car and would have done drag week easy.

Good luck !
94tealGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
boostedbowtie
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94tealGT View Post
Air to water is kind of the king, but youíll need a heat exchanger for lots of street driving.
I run Water to Air with no heat exchanger .

Just run the pump on a boost switch .
boostedbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:56 PM   #4
94tealGT
Pullin gears

Ah! Very true. Didnít really think of that! Mines a dinosaur on a switch! Lol. My .02 is air to water is king. But some donít like the weight or ice filling. But it sure keeps temps in check.

Just depends on room available and car goals I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedbowtie View Post
I run Water to Air with no heat exchanger .

Just run the pump on a boost switch .
94tealGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #5
boostedbowtie
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94tealGT View Post
Ah! Very true. Didn’t really think of that! Mines a dinosaur on a switch! Lol. My .02 is air to water is king. But some don’t like the weight or ice filling. But it sure keeps temps in check.

Just depends on room available and car goals I guess.
Whats cool is , I drive my truck to the track , and a cooler that holds 120lbs of ice fits nicely in the back .

On the street , water with no ice works well because the pump will only run in boost and I can only stay in boost for a few seconds at a time . I So no ice works pretty good for drives up to a couple hours . I mean I might boost the motor 10 times at the most in a long drive so thats maybe a minute of run time on the pump max .

But the ice island is out where I like to drive , so a lot of times Ill just stop by and put 20lbs in for $2.00 before beating on it .

Last edited by boostedbowtie; 09-17-2019 at 06:25 PM.
boostedbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2019, 01:02 AM   #6
jstahemi119
Pre-Staged

I am going with nitrous plates for intercooling.Supposed to lower IATz by over 100*
1071 roots with a pair of SV1s.
jstahemi119 is offline   Reply With Quote