Fiberglass bodies and kit cars - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Build Threads > Other Builds

Other Builds Share any build that doesn't fit into the other categories.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
blackmagic762
Pullin gears

Default Fiberglass bodies and kit cars

OK, please don't shoot me but have started looking into possibly building a fiberglass 41 Willys coupe. This would be strictly as a street rod but not real sure what I would be getting myself into. Has anyone here ever built one? Or know of any literature that I could read up on that would be beneficial?
blackmagic762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
sandmann120
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Fiberglass bodies and kit cars

Scottrods is supposed to have pretty decent bodies. What exactly are you wanting? Faux gasser, smashed on the ground, etc?
Old 10-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
hemicop
Smoked Another SBC

Speaking of kit cars, anyone know if someone is still making "Manta" kit cars? They had a copy of the old McLaren MkVII Can-Am car & were powered by a SBC.
hemicop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #4
blackmagic762
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmann120 View Post
Scottrods is supposed to have pretty decent bodies. What exactly are you wanting? Faux gasser, smashed on the ground, etc?
More of just a cruiser. Something we can jump into and take to the local cruise-ins on a Saturday night.

I have talked to Scottrods about their bodies that fit on a S10 chassis but not sure how well they work out. Only found one person around where I live that has any experience with their bodies and he said that he had a hard time getting everything to fit right but he did say it was several years ago.
blackmagic762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #5
dannyross797
Smoked another BBC

Acautos
dannyross797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #6
LLLosingit
Smoked another BBC

You might be money ahead if you bought someone's project or complete car. There is one on E-bay now with a starting price of 40k that looks good. Ebay 41 Willy's

After my last project I realized just how expensive it has become to build a decent car/truck even if you get a decent body to work with. What I used to think of as crazy prices people list some cars/truck for don't sound so crazy now lol
LLLosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:51 PM   #7
3fastgtos
Smoked another BBC

My son’s boss (hot rod chassis builder) has one he may sell.
3fastgtos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:36 PM   #8
wrpnEthyl
Spooled up

+1 on the expense. I am at the end of a Factory Five Hot Rod Build. The kit was one of the early ones FFR sold. It had a few issues but I have to say that they have worked hard to improve the design, fit, and form over the years. The recent SEMA unveilings including the 35 Ford Truck and the redesigned Hot Rod which includes a 32 package all seem like they would be a fun car to build and own.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:03 AM   #9
Cooder2
aka old_shoe
Smoked Another SBC

Nice rod! ^^^^^^
Old 09-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #10
eliminator
Smoked another BBC

I built a 41 back in the late 90's. I used a Willy Works 1 pc seamless body and had the doors suicided and a tilt nose. I used a 40 willys frame and fabricated 2x 4 rectangular rear frame rails with an S&W dbl adjustable ladder bar set up and coil overs. the front had a mustang II front suspension and crossmember grafted into it. I ran a SBC and a TH350 going to a narrowed 9" rear. the body was prostreet as it was pre tubbed but I widened the tubs more to get the biggest MT DOT under it that I could 21.5's. I also put a S&W 10 pt roll cage in it to take it to the track and stiffen up everything but I never raced it. It was a lot of work, took me 3 years start to finish on week night and weekends mainly. Willy works is out of business now but there are a few good FB willys body producers out there.
One tip I wish I would have know before I built mine was to use an S-10 truck frame under the body. they are a perfect fit for the wheelbase and much stronger then the original willys frame (even with boxing the open sections). and if you use the s-10 frame you could buy pre-fab'd rear end suspension sections from people like S&W so there is no custom work on your end (like I had to do). a buddy built his 41 that was with an S-10 frame and was done way quicker than me and he doesn't have the hodge podge of Ford/Chevy and willy's parts all over the car, he can buy just GM parts for the brakes and such.
[IMG][/IMG]
eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2019, 10:28 AM   #11
eliminator
Smoked another BBC

as for cost on my built back then , it cost me $15K, for the body, parts,paint etc. I had the rear narrowed by a shop and another did the fab work on the front and rear of the original willys frame (the mustang II and rear frame rails) I did all the other work building the car,the cage,exhaust,wiring,interior,fitting and sanding the body,priming etc. then I sent it to a guy already in primer for paint ($800 paint job BC/CC). I drove this car for about 3 years and had fun with it but later sold it to go racing again. I sold it for $25K on ebay in 1 day, I could have asked for more but it had a "Hot Rod"interior (Pep boys black carpet,cloth camaro seats and a cheesy but acceptable headliner) and a sub par sound system. had I gotten the local upholstery guy to do a custom interior I could have asked for another $10-$15K but he wanted another $5K just to do the interior so I let it go.
eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote