63 AMC Classic Pro Touring Build - Page 2 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Build Threads > Other Builds

Other Builds Share any build that doesn't fit into the other categories.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:25 PM   #16
amxdreamer
Pullin gears

Garage
Default Re: 63 AMC Classic Pro Touring Build

I'm pretty confident when i say you don't see 4 door Ramblers built like this! lol If you're going to this level why not be really different and do a turbo 4.0 litre? Should be easy to find and build due to the big Jeep aftermarket. IMO it would get more attention at events than an LS which is in every other car....and is still AMC!
amxdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2018, 09:18 PM   #17
asel.mike
Burnout box

Garage

I had a few hours this morning to work on the rambler, so I worked on the mounts for the trailing links. I started with a 2x2x1/8 angle and drilled the holes. Then I cut and welded in gussets.

I had to cut the mount to fit under the lip inside the wheel well where the frame meets the floor.

I got the mounts tacked into place using the marks we made last weekend to locate them. I wont fully weld either one until I can bolt everything up and verify the wheel locations are correct relative to the front. The trailing links will pull forward when I put in the bolts and tighten them. That will pull the wheel into the final location.

I wont be able to bolt everything up until I cut some clearance holes in the frame. The bolts going through the end of the links are interfering with the frame right now. I'm thinking of cutting the clearance holes and then sleeving them large enough for the nut to fit

On a different note, I'm starting to question my commitment to using an LS. I've been looking at a bunch of inline 4's and inline 6's, and they're very appealing. Any thoughts? I've been thinking about the vortec 4200, the 1jzgte, and a couple of nissan 4 and 6 cylinders. I'm still pretty open.

Last edited by asel.mike; 07-15-2018 at 09:20 PM.
asel.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #18
asel.mike
Burnout box

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxdreamer View Post
I'm pretty confident when i say you don't see 4 door Ramblers built like this! lol If you're going to this level why not be really different and do a turbo 4.0 litre? Should be easy to find and build due to the big Jeep aftermarket. IMO it would get more attention at events than an LS which is in every other car....and is still AMC!
Man its funny you bring that up! My commitment to the LS idea has been shaky lately. I'm not sure I wanna do a jeep inline 6, but I've been considering all kinds of inline 6's and 4's lately.

I'm gonna have to go do some research on the jeep engine. I hadn't given it any serious consideration until now.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:26 AM   #19
amxdreamer
Pullin gears

Garage

You can build a pretty strong AMC 258 with the 4.0 head etc. there are a few guys that have built decent power with a turbo on these. TurboTom raced a Spirit with a turbo 6 to some very respectable times.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #20
asel.mike
Burnout box

Garage

Quote:
You can build a pretty strong AMC 258 with the 4.0 head etc. there are a few guys that have built decent power with a turbo on these. TurboTom raced a Spirit with a turbo 6 to some very respectable times.
Iíd like to choose something I donít have to put a lot of work into to get some respectable power out of. What kind of work do you have to do to the 4.0 to get decent power? And what are we talking as far as power goes?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:13 PM   #21
amxdreamer
Pullin gears

Garage

I was looking for the build threads from a guy that ran an AMC Spirit with a Turbo setup he made himself, I think he was here also. He had the username TurboTom and it was a pretty quick combo. That being said, are you building a racecar, cruiser or daily? There are a lot of guys that are better than me as far as engine combos but it really isn't that hard to get some fun power in a unique powertrain.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:19 AM   #22
asel.mike
Burnout box

Garage

Primary use is as a daily driver. I have a really long commute, so reliability is the most important factor, followed by decent power.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #23
amxdreamer
Pullin gears

Garage

You should be able to get an honest 275-300hp out of a basic turbo build. The coolest part would be popping the hood at a show etc and NOT being an LS! lol
Old 07-19-2018, 08:32 AM   #24
asel.mike
Burnout box

Garage

Quote:
You should be able to get an honest 275-300hp out of a basic turbo build. The coolest part would be popping the hood at a show etc and NOT being an LS! lol

Without a doubt! Iím pretty sold on no LS now
Old 07-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #25
GLHS60
Smoked another BBC

Cool build!!

Your suspension/chassis work looks great.

I'm a strong AMC fan and really like the AMC 199/232/258/4.0L Engines as well.

A local guy has a 1961 Rambler Classic Wagon that runs LS Turbo power that runs really strong.

Today its hard to beat an LS for inexpensive power although the inline six would be unique.

I put a 1969 455 Olds in an AMC Spirit years ago, very easy swap.

Canadian Hotrods Magazine that built a 1963/64 Rambler Classic project car a while back.

There is a guy over at Speed Talk that built a stroker 287/327 AMC Engine, that's AMC loyalty!!

I remember Barney Navarro built an AMC 199 Turbo for Indy back in the 1960's.

It would me so much easier today!!

Did I mention I like AMC!!

GLHS60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:48 AM   #26
asel.mike
Burnout box

Garage

Man that’s bad to the bone!
Old 09-02-2018, 09:59 PM   #27
asel.mike
Burnout box

Garage

I got the front and rear suspension fully mocked up with springs to check ride height and measure for wheels. I put jacks under the uprights on the front and rear to put weight on the suspension. As you can see in the picture I piled heavy stuff in the engine bay to simulate engine weight. I think i got 5 or 600 lbs in there so its not full weight but it helped give an idea.

It's looking like ride height will be just right, or a little low. If I have to I can get a stronger front spring. Hopefully I don't have to.

I've been measuring and trying to figure out the most affordable/ good looking rim setup for the car. I've gotten tired of doing all the armchair quarterbacking, so I went to the pick and pull and grabbed a set off a 2001 blazer to check out, and to get a better idea of what I'm dealing with for space. They're 15x7 with a 50ish mm positive offset, according to google.

The 15" rim fits over the brakes no problem, but I can't find steel wheels or factory wheels with a deep enough positive offset to fit without any modifications.

These blazer rims are pretty similar size and offset to most factory rims I've found. I'm thinking no matter what I need to flare my fenders to fit any kind of wider rim or affordable rim. The deep positive offset rims I'd need to fit are too expensive for me.

What do you guys think of these rims? I think they're kind of cool, especially for $35 each. I could repaint the background color on the rims to complement the car's final color scheme.

I can get most of my money back for them so I'm not super attached. However I think they look pretty cool.

It looks like the front will just barely fit after the camber and caster are set. All the spacers on the upper control arms are removed here.

Here you can see the offset issue in the rear. I'd need another 1.5 to 2" probably to clear the blazer rims, or anything similar.

Please give me y'alls thoughts on the rims, the fender flares, and the wheel and tire situation in general!

Old 09-09-2018, 10:37 PM   #28
asel.mike
Burnout box

Garage

More progress today. I went out and got a set of tires for the Blazer rims I bought. They're 195/65/15's. I chose that size since I could get them cheap on craigslist. It was $150 for 5 tires, mounted and balanced... you can't beat that. I'll definitely go wider in the future, but this will get the car rolling, cheap!

Here's one mounted on the front. I think once the suspension is properly compressed it will look a little better. I may need to go larger diameter, aesthetically speaking. I'll wait to decide on that till I've driven it a bit to check out gear ratios. These tires will definitely work to get us going.

I also made progress in the rear of the car. The trailing links mount needs space for the bolt head on the inboard side. I sectioned out part of the frame behind the mount to make space.

I also finish welded the new trailing link mounts. With this done, I only have sway bar mounts, and differential solid mounts left and the mechanics of the rear end will be totally finished. I'm going to wait on those two things till after I've got an engine and transmission.

Getting tires got me all worked up over engines and transmissions. I've been doing lots of reading on line about my options, but I'm not ready to pull the trigger on either yet. To keep me busy, I'll probably work on flaring the fenders next. I'll probably also get bump stops installed too.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:47 PM   #29
asel.mike
Burnout box

Garage

I knocked out enough stuff on my to do list, so I had some time to work on the rambler. I removed the bolts attaching the rear springs to the uprights. Then I mounted a tire and lifted it in the wheel well to figure out where I needed clearance.

Then I laid out the cut I needed to make just above the fender lip.

After I made the lower cut I pulled the fender lip out to give good clearance around where the tire will interfere at full bump. I'm trying to make sure I'll have enough clearance with a wider tire. I made several of these paper templates to visualize the shape of the flare before I cut it.

I like the shape of it.

After I got the inner wheel well cut for clearance too, I was able to take the wheel almost all the way to full bump.

The sway bar mount is hitting the cross member I installed for the rear suspension. If I remove it I'll be able to make it to full bump with a corvette bump stop installed. I haven't decided yet if I'll modify the crossmember, or run without a sway bar.

Next I made a paper template off one of the body lines to transfer the upper cut I made on the right side to the left side.

After I cut the lower lip loose I measured and pulled the lip out to try to match the other side. Then I used my paper mock up flare to check all my cuts and pulling were matching up side to side.

I only found bad body filler in one place, so that's encouraging. I'm planning on tacking in my flare panels before I try to cut the rust out and replace it. That way the flare panel will hold the shape while I make the repair.

I've never done any body modification before, so I'm sort of winging it. If any of you guys sees something I'm doing that's going to send me to disaster please let me know! Hopefully what I've done so far wont bite me later on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2018, 11:15 PM   #30
asel.mike
Burnout box

Garage

This weekend I worked on sheet metal some more.

I got the fender flares cut out and welded in. I started by cutting metal versions of my paper templates, then fine tuning the shape to fit. I tried the tack tack method on one side.

I tried stitch welding the other side.

I didn't really have a preference one way or the other. They both welded up nicely.

I still have to do some rust repair on the passenger side, then the welding on the flares will be done.

Next I worked on filling in the material I removed from the trunk. I got it cut out using a paper template, then tacked in with lots of tacks. Then I welded it out. There's a small empty spot on the passenger side I still need to make a filler piece for.

I haven't done anything with the wheel well I had to cut for clearance. I cant decide if I need to connect them to the original lip of the wheel arch. Alternatively, I was wondering if I could just install a filler piece between the wheel well liner and the top of the new flare? I don't know if this would cause issues with the body down the road? Any advice would be appreciated.