63 AMC Classic Pro Touring Build - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Build Threads > Other Builds

Other Builds Share any build that doesn't fit into the other categories.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
asel.mike
Burnout box

Garage
Default 63 AMC Classic Pro Touring Build

I bought this 63 classic in 2010 when I was 16. I drove it through high school in stock form. The paint started to come off, so I gave it a rustoleum paint job inspired by an art car I saw at the time. I think its awesome, and it has obviously always attracted a lot of attention.

I parked the car in 2012 and went to college for mechanical engineering. Through college I fantasized about turning the car into a cool pro-touring style daily driver. When hurricane Harvey hit Houston, the car was parked in my grandma's garage. Her house and the car flooded. After the waters receded, I took it as a sign I needed to start the project.

Dragging it out of the garage and onto the trailer was an adventure, but its at my house now

My plan is to re-do the interior similar to stock, for the old school feel. The sheet metal will stay stock, but the drivetrain and suspension will be totally replaced. I'll be removing the engine, tranny, rear end, front suspension, and subframe to replace them. I'm removing everything carefully and cleaning them up so others might be able to use them on their projects.

I plan to replace the suspension, and drivetrain with newer equipment from a late model donor car. I'm not settled on anything yet, but the engine will probably be something from the LS family.

Here's the car the day I pulled it back to my house, after a power washing to remove all the mud from the flood. You can kind of see the high water mark near the top of the windshield.

Untitled by asel.mike, on Flickr

Here's the car as it sits today

asel.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
asel.mike
Burnout box

Garage
Default Re: 63 AMC Classic Pro Touring Build

I made some more progress this weekend. I pulled the engine and transmission out together. I cleaned them up and separated them. Then I tore the engine most of the way down to clean it, get the Pistons free, and check for damages.

Here's the crime scene left behind after pulling the drivetrain out.

Here's the drivetrain after cleaning.

Here's the codes from the tranny

Here's the top end after opening it up.

Here's the head without any cleaning.

Here's the bottom end after lots of degreaser.

Here's a sample cylinder. They all looked pretty much the same.

Here's all the stuff I pulled off the engine to clean it up. After I was done cleaning I sprayed the hell out of everything with WD40. Then I re-assembled and just snugged everything up with two ugga-ugga's from the impact. Whoever takes the parts or the whole engine will need to do some more cleaning anyways. I just wanted to free the motor and stop any more decay.

Next up will be removing the front suspension, crossmember, etc. after that I'm gonna make one big post with everything I'm selling. Pretty much everything to do with drivetrain and suspension will be going.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:52 PM   #3
Smoked Another SBC

I've got a real nice 63 Ambassador 990 4 door you need!

Ray
Old 04-13-2018, 12:29 AM   #4
TomP
Smoked Another SBC

That engine looks great inside for having been submerged in a flood.
TomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #5
asel.mike
Burnout box

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4406 View Post
I've got a real nice 63 Ambassador 990 4 door you need!

Ray
No, I've got a slightly used engine and tranny your ambassador needs! This dude named harvey cleaned them inside and out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP View Post
That engine looks great inside for having been submerged in a flood.
I was kind of surprised too. Of course the oil was a nasty mess, but the rest wasn't that bad.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #6
asel.mike
Burnout box

Garage

Yesterday I got the rest of the front suspension out of the car! I bought an oxy acetylene rig a little while ago and got to use it to help loose a few bolts, and cut a few that wouldn't come out. Definitely very happy to have it now!

Next step is to finish pulling the dash so I can repair some rust around the heater core/ rain gutter up there. Also gonna start working on gathering money/ parts to work on getting the new suspension fitted up.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:44 PM   #7
asel.mike
Burnout box

Garage

Well I found a smokin deal on a C4 suspension this week so I worked on that a little this week. Friday I left work in Beaumont early, picked up my tools, and drove to Waco to look at this beauty!

The owner even cut the frame in the front instead of unbolting it to speed things up

After we got everything loaded up he showed me his 57 Chevy truck he swapped the C4 suspension into using a fat man kit. I forgot to take pics, but that thing is gonna be sweet with a clear coated rusty panel look. I coulda chewed the cud with him for a long while, but I still had to drive 3 hours home. So I cut it short and got home around 1am.

I took everything home and pressure washed it. It's a Dana 36, which isn't the greatest. However I got it all for $400, which is a steal.
Next i started cutting the fender wells and front subframe. I plan on doing the front conversion the same way timberwolf is doing in this thread. http://theamcforum.com/forum/1964-ra...597_page1.html

His rambler inspired me to pick the C4 in the first place. The rear suspension I'll have to show some creativity, but with what a great job timberwolf is doing on his front I feel no need to innovate there.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #8
gxjetmech
Smoked Another SBC

Cool man. Nobody can say that itís been done before thatís for sure. Iíll be following this.
gxjetmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:19 PM   #9
Geerbangr
Smoked Another SBC

Just when I think I’ve seen the most Phucked up paint job, this jewel shows up. OP I dig your enthusiasm in this build and will be following along. I like the oddball car builds
Old 05-07-2018, 05:54 PM   #10
asel.mike
Burnout box

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxjetmech View Post
Cool man. Nobody can say that itís been done before thatís for sure. Iíll be following this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geerbangr View Post
Just when I think Iíve seen the most Phucked up paint job, this jewel shows up. OP I dig your enthusiasm in this build and will be following along. I like the oddball car builds
I'm glad y'all can appreciate it. It gets lots of attention, and lots of WTF looks!

I forgot to post my progress last weekend!

I got the new subframe tubes welded in last weekend. Everything is welded in and fishplated.

I had to cut the stock mounts off the C4 crossmember and cleaned it up to set up for the new mounts

I fitted and welded in the new mounts out of angle iron to match the stock C4 arm angles. I gussetted with 3/16 flat.

Then I drilled and sleeved my bolt holes to locate and hold in the front cross member.

And here's how it sits today. Next I need to clearance for the steering rack and fab up shock mounts.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:11 PM   #11
asel.mike
Burnout box

Garage

I got a little distracted the last couple of weekend. I worked on trimming trees, went to a wedding in OKC, and worked on projects at the house. Along with other things, I finished building our driveway gate and fence. I bought a spray gun, and sprayed the fence with rustoleum.

This weekend I worked on pouring a new concrete pad for the back porch. While I waited for it to dry this afternoon I decided to make some progress on the rambler!

I cut a clearance hole through the frame using a small cup as my template.

[/url]

I test fit the drivers side suspension without the springs. This let me test the clearance on the tie rod through the new hole in the frame.

Once I checked the clearance I traced the same cup on the top of my work bench as a template for the insert. I didn't have any pipe or tube bigger than 2". So I cut some 1/8" sheet and bent it to match the hole I cut. I haven't made any special equipment to bend stuff with. I used the good old two wrenches and a bench vice method.

[/url]

I checked my progress against the circle I drew on the bench. I kept bending until it matched pretty well.

[/url]

I set the inserts aside, so I could do all my welding for the day at once.

Next I set myself to the task of installing the shock mount. I decided to re-use the one from the original Corvette frame, since I had it lying around, and I could use the holes in it to locate it prior to welding.

I attacked the old frame with a torch. I sweated, and cut, and sweated, and cut. I got the part I needed rough cut out.

[/url]

I started coping the drivers side mount to fit the frame. I screwed that up BIG TIME. I cut my losses, and lopped off the bottom part of the mount. Then I bent up a new piece out of 1/8" sheet to replace the lower piece I screwed up. It's gonna do the job, but its not as pretty as I wanted. I rode that struggle bus all the way home.

[/url]

After getting the first one fitted up, I cut the second one out and fitted it to the passenger side. I learned from my mistakes and the passenger side went to plan. It also went WAAAY faster.

[/url]

Since I used the old suspension mount for the shock mount, I get the added benefit of bracing the crossmember.

[/url]

I welded everything out, and called it a day. Next time I'll get the front suspension mocked back up and verify everything fits and moves as needed. Then I can start on mounting the rear suspension!
Old 06-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #12
asel.mike
Burnout box

Garage

It's been a little bit since my last post, but I haven't quit on the project. I've been working my butt off at work, going on vacation, and trying to make some progres on projects around the house. Something about summer increases my motivation on house projects.

To give this post some kind of car nature, here's a pic of my car I just traded in for. Its a 2015 Golf Tdi

Old 07-09-2018, 09:34 PM   #13
asel.mike
Burnout box

Garage

One of my best buddies came down from Iowa for a long weekend. We decided to make some progress on the rambler.
We decided to crank on the rear end, and get it as in as possible. We started by measuring the bat wing and figuring out how far back and how high up to mount it. We took lots of sketchy measurements of pictures of ramblers and pictures of the corvette I took when I bought the rear end. Then we did some figuring on what we thought the spring rates would be and made our best guess at the final ride height of the rambler. Time will tell if we were right or wrong. The whole time we were working on it, we were discussing ways to adjust the ride height later if we were wrong, so I feel confident I'll be able to get it set up right in the end.

First we built a crossmember with tabs to mount and locate the batwing.

Then we used our measurements to locate the Batwing cross member. We cut out the frame rails and the trunk to fit the cross member in the right place.

We tacked up the crossmember, but our fit up was pretty loose, so we made plans to make re-enforcement plates to weld in around the crossmember.

Then we hung the rear end from the cross member. This part taught me my next tool should be a tranny jack. We ended up lowering the car onto the rear end to mount it.

Next we started working on making our upper shock mounts. We decided to cope 3" square tube to the side of the frame, and cut the holes into the bottom of the tube.

Here's what they looked like before adding the weld nuts.

Before we tacked in the shock mounts, we welded up the re-enforcement plates around the crossmember on both sides of the frame members.

Then we welded in the shock mount tubes in front of the crossmember.

[/url]

After that we took even more measurements of the old corvette geometry. We mapped out exactly where the trailing links need to mount for the rear suspension. That just leaves making those mounts and making sway bar mounts for front and rear. Then it'll be ready for wheels and tires to set on the ground for the first time!
Old 07-12-2018, 08:55 AM   #14
THE BUILDER
Pullin gears

Garage

Cool to be diffrent coming along nice
THE BUILDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #15
asel.mike