Landrover Series 1 resurrection - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Build Threads > Other Builds

Other Builds Share any build that doesn't fit into the other categories.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #1
A sad fat dragon
Smoked another BBC

Default Landrover Series 1 resurrection

Well as the Torino is now dead for a while I've moved back to something I used to mess with before I bought the old muscle car.......

Say hello to my little friend! 1957 88" Series 1 Land Rover, I got it back in 2014 before the prices went stupid, took it green laning, killed the engine (forgot to turn the electric fan on and cooked a head), rebuilt that engine, lost interest, sold the engine, put a new engine in, lost interest and bought the Torino so sold that engine to fund some speed parts, bought another engine then sold it again when I decided it had to be a V8 not an Essex V6, lost interest again....and now the White Whale is dead and a bit more costly to repair than this I'm back to rebuilding the 88!

So here are a few old pics, a video and some new pics.

Spent today cutting off the old engine mounts as I'm going to solid mount the new engine.....prefer having a bit of vehicle rocking when you rev the motor and thats kinda hard with a 3.5L Rover (not my favourite engine by a longshot but it was only 2 packs of Haribo!)

Bit of off road action and I'm pretty sure this was the lane I cracked the head on

Just a bit of revving and idle

And the pics!

So this was it when it was in use

And that brings use nicely onto here where some magic is about to take place! My welding skills haven't really been taxed for a while and this month I've got this to repair, new engine mounts to make and a set of 12 Merlin engine exhaust stub pipes to fabricate, means I'll be getting a lot of TIG practice

And as of yesterday the front end was off, only took about 35 mins....this evening was then spent cutting off the old mounts and getting the frame ready to be welded.

Finally a baby V8! Its strange being able to carry the block round one handed when I cant even do that with one of the 429 heads without struggling! The valve pic is one of my 429 intake valves Vs. the whole chamber of the 3.5

Advertisement

Old 09-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #2
Firetruck1
draggin' ass
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Landrover Series 1 resurrection

Nice of the wife to let you haul parts in the Volvo wagon! Ive always wanted one of these but state side their hens teeth and worth more then a pot of gold.

What year did they go to aluminum bodies? Cool project.

Thank you to all who have helped me on my projects:

Dan Neumann Race Cars
Fast Forward Race Engines
FTI Converters and Transmissions
Holeshot Wheels
Jones Racing Products
NRC Motorsports
TRZ Motorsports

“Le Petomane Thruway? Now what'll that a**hole think of next? Does anybody got a dime? Somebody’s gotta go back and get a sh**-load of dimes!”

I have sincere gratitude for gold star families. Thank you
Firetruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
A sad fat dragon
Smoked another BBC

Oi thats my wagon I sold the other landrover and got a nice cheap runaround....although I think it may need a clutch and timing belt at some point in the next 15k

Always been ally bodies since 48, means they're nice and light. Got my engine mounts ready for forming and the mock up block ready to go in. All I need now is a dry day and a bit of motivation
Old 10-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #4
A sad fat dragon
Smoked another BBC

Minimal motivation and a lack of progress until Monday....

Carried the mock up block round to where the car is languishing and bolted it up, real nice being able to hold an engine block with one arm and wrestle it into place whilst having a hand free to stick the bolts through the bellhousing and tighten it!
Couldn't do that with the 429!

So plan of action is to triangulate the chassis mounts back to the chassis then put a nice radius on them so they don't look so agricultural, take a set of standard engine mounts and modify them to bolt up to the new chassis tabs then pull the mock up block out and drop in the new running one thats arriving next Monday......simple right?

The modified mounts will have two positions one 4" further back than the other, this will allow me to do a 5 speed conversion in the future as the engine needs to come 4" forward in order to allow the transfer case and handbrake assembly to clear the central crossmember

Last edited by A sad fat dragon; 10-13-2016 at 05:49 PM.
A sad fat dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #5
A sad fat dragon
Smoked another BBC

Change of plan on this, bought a 5 speed box so now I'm making the whole lot fit.....alongside that, thanks to uni I haven't had as much time as I thought I would.

Managed to get a little welding in and remembered how much I hate welding bodywork, its not pretty but its solid now.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #6
A sad fat dragon
Smoked another BBC

The new engines also been here for a while, this is what a 14,000 mile engine looks like internally.

Now as a 5 speed LT77-LT230 set up comes in around 8" longer than an LT76 Series transmission I have to move the engine forward in order to make it all work.

To do this I've simply made up some ally brackets with slots cut out, not neat but for measurement purposes it'll be fine. Plan is to slide the engine all the way forward (I know I need to leave 6" for the crank pulleys and water pump)

From there I can mark up exactly where the engine can sit in its maximum forward position and work back from there. The box actually only needs about 4" more clearance so you can get the hand brake drum off easily.....so basically I'll shove the engine and box back as far as I can if theres any leftover space, but the further forward I can get away with putting it the better the rear prop shaft angle

Old 12-04-2016, 02:14 PM   #7
A sad fat dragon
Smoked another BBC

Mmmmm oily, one 5 speed for the Series collected though

Old 12-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #8
440roadrunner
Smoked Another SBC

One thing is for damn sure. You are a glutton for punishment. I would not have a Rover up my ass. So, to each his own. I thought those things were aluminum? Shows what I know.

Closest thing to "Brit" is when my Gramps came home on my 14th birthday (he was a widower then) with a 54 Jag XK120 which he'd just bought for ELEVEN HUNDRED dollars. This was June, 1962. He kept it, drove it a bit, and mostly stored. Dad bought it from Gramps later on, and had it painted, but not restored. HE drove it a bit more. Managed to dent on front fender. Dad died at only 71, in 95. Mom sold the thing for 18K

This is Mom and the Jag not long after Dad bought it from Gramps, before it was painted. It was originally white, this is not the original paint

Old 12-04-2016, 05:42 PM   #9
A sad fat dragon
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440roadrunner View Post
One thing is for damn sure. You are a glutton for punishment. I would not have a Rover up my ass. So, to each his own. I thought those things were aluminum? Shows what I know.

Closest thing to "Brit" is when my Gramps came home on my 14th birthday (he was a widower then) with a 54 Jag XK120 which he'd just bought for ELEVEN HUNDRED dollars. This was June, 1962. He kept it, drove it a bit, and mostly stored. Dad bought it from Gramps later on, and had it painted, but not restored. HE drove it a bit more. Managed to dent on front fender. Dad died at only 71, in 95. Mom sold the thing for 18K

This is Mom and the Jag not long after Dad bought it from Gramps, before it was painted. It was originally white, this is not the original paint

Oh yeah I'm a moron and I know it.....

You're kinda right, its an aluminium body with a steel bulkhead and chassis. Very early ones (like 48-53 I think) had an aluminium bulkhead and front panel (the bit I've had to repair) but as ally became less cost effective they changed

Thats a lovely jag though! Worth a fortune now, I'd happily drive one if I could. I like cars with a danger factor.....so for me, this wins on the fact it has no doors and no seatbelts
Old 12-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #10
A sad fat dragon
Smoked another BBC

Seat box out and some measurements taken.

LT77 = 31 1/2" long, front drive flange 11" back from bellhousing lip

The space between engine and central crossmember is 32"

Pushing the engine forward 3 3/4" should allow enough space to take off the handbrake drum, if not a disc setup can be used

Wide angle UJs will solve the short ish rear prop issue

Amazingly my rough bastard engine mounts for mock up both lined up perfectly....s'aaaall good so far

Old 12-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #11
A sad fat dragon
Smoked another BBC

Bought myself a new welder to help finish this stupid project off and it makes my toolbox look kinda small.....

Old 12-10-2016, 01:13 PM   #12
A sad fat dragon
Smoked another BBC

About the most sunlight the series has seen in years.....removed the tarps and shoved it into a new position to work on. Much nicer now its not facing down a hill

Also turns out the new LT77 isn't in too bad a condition underneath the shitload of grime but its definitely not a one man lift like I thought it was....LT76 no problem as I lifted that out easily, but this must have another 50kg on the series box!

But progress is being made, I've now got the lovely job of tig welding the ally mounts tomorrow seeing as I've measured and cut the plates to brace them....definitely my least favourite metal to weld

Old 12-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #13
A sad fat dragon
Smoked another BBC

Welded up the chassis mounts and engine side mounts today, not the nicest job crouching between chassis rails.....but can you guess which side I fucked up the measurements on?

No pics of the ally bits because they really do look like shit! They're melted together but fuck they're ugly, they're like the Hilary Clinton of welds, fat, ugly and not fit for the light of day

Old 12-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #14
A sad fat dragon
Smoked another BBC

And with a bit of help from the death wheel the LT77 fits. There's even enough room to get the transfer case in and out

The chassis gearbox mounts nearly line up too!

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2017, 05:19 PM   #15
A sad fat dragon
Smoked another BBC

If I fits I sits! Might be a tight squeeze but it's in the series and ready for a top end rebuild now ��
Just wish I wasn't working on a fucking gravel hill.....

Got the fat crack in the bellhousing welded up by a friend too. Landrover aluminium quality is absolutely wank.