My not so "eXtreme 275" 1970 AMC Hornet - Page 3 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Build Threads > Other Builds

Other Builds Share any build that doesn't fit into the other categories.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #31
KyleCim
Launchin

Default Re: My not so "eXtreme 275" 1970 AMC Hornet

It's not rude, its the truth. I understand the motor we have is nothing special and I can take the criticism.

Admittedly, I am 28 years old so I am no veteran to the AMC world and besides my fathers 68 AMX this is only the second one I have ever worked on. Could I have done a motor for cheaper with parts that were different and obtained the same power and results? Yes, But like any other non mainstream car/models the 'OG" guys who have done the testing, blew shit up and failed, then tried other things that work are not quick provide info to "new" people since they have not done the time and learned things the hard way. I get that, and understand it and agree with it for the most part. The thing that bugs me a little is I read on some AMC Forums guys talking about how there is no real "young" blood in AMC's and how they are likely to die off as the "OG's" get older and eventually we will find AMC's even fewer and far in between at race tracks than they are. Considering the last AMC's were being built when I was born, that in itself is going to limit itself from bringing new blood/generations into the mix but the fact that most of the AMC Hot Rodding was done prior to the internet age leaves most valuble information locked iside the heads of 40-70+ year old people. I tried many outlets through the AMC Forums to have a motor built by someone who was in the know but all were either too busy/backed up to take more work or not interested. It needed to be done so I found someone within a few hours who had atleast some experiance with them.

I am no machinist or engine builder, don't pretend to be. So building a motor myself was not something I wanted to do or had the knowledge of doing. With that being said, obviously any engine shop will charge more and it is no gripe of mine considering how few and far inbetween a skilled machine shop is these days. I could have used stock 40 yr old rods (not something I wanted to do, especially since I want to mess with nitrous) and could have gotten the same out of ported Iron heads. I wanted aluminum for heat dissipation and more flexibility running cheaper/lower octane fuel if I decide to do any street driving. We were ready to spend a bit more for Indy SR's but the engine builder wanted no part of dealing with Indy or their product at all.

As far as Chevy builds, I don't feel like throwing numbers around but lets just say I could have bought an LSA crate motor from Summit for less than this motor cost us and that would only make 556 but have a ceiling of 800+ also. Stupidity? maybe/probably but that's the kind of $$ it costs to build these things when you rely on a business to build something for you and we are ok with that on this build. My only gripe with the product we ended up with is the fact that the engine builder quoted and told us he was using a Diamond Piston set on the original estimate and when the motor was done, without asking he used a Wiseco off the shelf. I was out of the country when the call came in that the motor was done and my father picked the motor up so that concern went by the wayside.

I am coming from messing with 122 cubic inch Mitsubishi motors, all of this is a learning curve for me so I do not expect the car to just perform. We decided to build this because I have not messed with carbs, nitrous or any reasonably powered RWD car and I want to learn. I know for a fact for under 10k I could put a 4cyl turbo in the car and run 8's but that's the same shit I've been doing the last 12 years. So in the end, my cost to build comment and the sentence following regarding not building another is just common sense telling me that if for some reason something catastrophically goes wrong in this motor it is financially stupid to build another unless I start building my own which I do not see happening. Besides Chevy motors, I agree that building a Ford/Mopar with similar parts will cost similar.

I appreciate the input. It is guys like you who HAVE put the effort and hard work in, learned certain things the hard way who can reap the rewards of reliable home built stock crank/rod motors in the mid 10's. I guess you could say we bought our way in with this motor, hopefully it works out because if not it is not for a lack of enthusiasm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #32
THE STING
Smoked another BBC

You have a good engine there and i'm sure it will run very good....I get cranky when AMC guys post certain things that I know better , so don't mine me..

Your engine builder is correct on some of Indy's QC.....But its not that bad for the hp you can get out of there stuff...pressure check and get your own hardware is the best way to go....the SR heads with a little port work along with a small custom roller and your at 700+hp n/a with your bottom end....overall funds would not be much more.

If you have any questions when you get your hot rod going you can pm me if you like..

Last edited by THE STING; 10-30-2014 at 05:23 PM.
THE STING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #33
KyleCim
Launchin

Thank you, I appreciate it. I still do see indy heads in the future of this car but worked by someone who knows exactly what the AMC dogleg head wants.

I wouldn't call it cranky, your just educated by real world experience and know better. I am always open ears to learn, feel free anytime to critique that's part of the reason I have these posts. I hear you boys have quite the collection of killers out there, hope to see them some day.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:15 PM   #34
peterlocal22
Pullin gears

Garage

Hey bro, great looking build. NED is my local track as well.
Have you run the car yet?

Pete
peterlocal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #35
KyleCim
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlocal22 View Post
Hey bro, great looking build. NED is my local track as well.
Have you run the car yet?

Pete
We are hoping to start testing early next season. I will keep the thread updated as we go through the winter.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:21 PM   #36
THE STING
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleCim View Post
Thank you, I appreciate it. I still do see indy heads in the future of this car but worked by someone who knows exactly what the AMC dogleg head wants.

I wouldn't call it cranky, your just educated by real world experience and know better. I am always open ears to learn, feel free anytime to critique that's part of the reason I have these posts. I hear you boys have quite the collection of killers out there, hope to see them some day.

If you land up with the Indy heads down the road let me know , either I or one of my 3 core guys I trust can get them done for you.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #37
sardeanie
Spooled up

Wow, what a cool build. The Hornet is a great drag platform. I just wanted to throw my support behind you. Looks like it's going to be real nice.
sardeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #38
KyleCim
Launchin

Earlier pictures were just a mock up, now have the engine and Trans in and set up. Waiting on a fuel cell then it is on to plumbing and a pump and we will have fire in the pipes.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:03 PM   #39
Hissing Cobra
Smoked another BBC

Garage

Awesome build! It's been years since I've seen one of those. NED is my home track as well so hopefully I'll see you up there. P.S., I think I've read about your Laser on New England Motorsports, if I'm not mistaken.
11.49 @ 121.86
306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
307 rwhp/278 rwt
12.38 @ 111.38
August 2005 Issue of MM&FF Magazine
April 2007 Issue of Modified Mustangs & Fords Magazine
Hissing Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:09 PM   #40
KyleCim
Launchin

Thank You, and I remember your car from back in the fun ford days when I raced my fox body. I haven't been on NEMS for a while but I have been racing my Laser for a while now.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #41
THE STING
Smoked another BBC

Kyle where did you get the trans shield for the 727 from ?
Old 12-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #42
1986iroc
Smoked another BBC

You can get in touch with Stickshifter on here. He a Gremlin that has been in the bottom 7's on and Indy block and heads. also makes some custom parts.
1986iroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:47 AM   #43
KyleCim
Launchin

Rob- I bought the trans used out of a spirit race car that was being parted out (big mistake in hindsight because I basically had the whole thing rebuilt with good stuff). I can get you the PN but it is trimmed so I am guessing it is simply a Mopar shield trimmed to fit.

1986iroc- Kevin is a good dude, those are his fabricated valve covers in the pic.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #44
THE STING
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleCim View Post
Rob- I bought the trans used out of a spirit race car that was being parted out (big mistake in hindsight because I basically had the whole thing rebuilt with good stuff). I can get you the PN but it is trimmed so I am guessing it is simply a Mopar shield trimmed to fit.

1986iroc- Kevin is a good dude, those are his fabricated valve covers in the pic.

I thought it looked trimmed but still will do the job , if you get a chance i'll take that part number...

Kevin did a nice job on them valve covers...good dude.
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #45
fofo
Smoked Another SBC

Kyle, thanks for sharing. Very nice build, & unique for sure. Keep us posted. You have lots to be proud of, & I wish I had half your talent.

Merry Christmas!
'69 Camaro Yenko SC - Back Half / NHRA 25.2 / Stock Front Suspension - Fulton 718 & N20
337-781-4443
[email protected]
Lafayette, LA 70508

FOR SALE: $1,950
Stainless Headers (under car) 2 1/4" & 4" Merge Collector, by The Fab Shop for tube chassis car, BBC;

FOR SALE: $5,950
3 Stage n20 CFE Intake. Dual Split Carbs by David Cook DC Carbs. Was on 5" BS 738 BBC 11.36 deck with Sonny Leonard Heads;
fofo is offline   Reply With Quote