GM Splayed Valve - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Naturally Aspirated - Uratchko Racing Engines

Old 11-01-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
9SONN2O
Information Desk
Smoked another BBC

Garage
Default GM Splayed Valve

I've been doing some preliminary research on building a sb2.2 headed engine. I would go with a bigger cubic inch, though... probably a 427 using Dart Iron Eagle raised cam standard deck height block. While doing research on the sb2.2 heads, mostly the NASCAR take-offs that I would get worked over for drag racing, I cam across the GM Performance "146" splayed valve head. Does anyone have any experience with those? I never seem to see anyone talking about using them. Were they the original NHRA Pro Stock Truck heads? I can only find them for sale "semi-finished". Are most cylinder head porters able to finish them or have a CNC program for them? Just wondering what those with the knowledge thoughts are on these vs the sb2.2.
9SONN2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #2
Randy Wilson
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: GM Splayed Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9SONN2O View Post
I've been doing some preliminary research on building a sb2.2 headed engine. I would go with a bigger cubic inch, though... probably a 427 using Dart Iron Eagle raised cam standard deck height block. While doing research on the sb2.2 heads, mostly the NASCAR take-offs that I would get worked over for drag racing, I cam across the GM Performance "146" splayed valve head. Does anyone have any experience with those? I never seem to see anyone talking about using them. Were they the original NHRA Pro Stock Truck heads? I can only find them for sale "semi-finished". Are most cylinder head porters able to finish them or have a CNC program for them? Just wondering what those with the knowledge thoughts are on these vs the sb2.2.
I think they were the heads used in Pro Stock Truck right after the 15 degree wedge, but I ainít sure. Nick would know those answers.
Randy Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #3
bigblockmark
Smoked another BBC

Better heads for less money available today that are simpler to use. Check with Chad Speier or other members here that do heads. Those heads were used on dedicated blocks with modified lifter locations compared to standard Gen 1 blocks. More work than necessary for the same horsepower. Also very high RPM range to get the benefits. Mark Whitener the carb guy uses SB2 heads on his SBC dragster. He would be a good guy to ask.
bigblockmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:22 AM   #4
Michael Lanigan
Big Trev is a great guy!
Smoked Another SBC

They used to be pretty popular down here in Australia in comp and were even used in Aussie pro-stock. I think the downside is you now can buy an economical wedge head like the Profiler 13* or high end All Pro 13* wedge heads that will actually flow more than most of the splayed valve heads out there.

Michael Lanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:10 AM   #5
Graphic Man
Wild Addiction
Smoked another BBC

the Profiler Air strike is a bad ass splayed valve head,....flows 480 +
Diesel Dr.
TRB Machine

4sale SB2.2 heads
Graphic Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:46 PM   #6
Gitdowns
Smoked another BBC

GM Splayed valve heads don't require special block, that was the Little Chief heads. Other options are out there, if you ask some of he top engine builders, they will tell you, the splayed valve heads are still among the best. Not a great power adder head, but a great NA head.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:32 PM   #7
wes427
Burnout box

BES had one at 2012 engine masters made well over 1000hp
wes427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #8
*BOSSMAN*
Smoked another BBC

^^^^ Those were the Profiler Air Strike head, they filled the ports full of Splashzone too in the port roof.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #9
SDDL-UP
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lanigan View Post
They used to be pretty popular down here in Australia in comp and were even used in Aussie pro-stock. I think the downside is you now can buy an economical wedge head like the Profiler 13* or high end All Pro 13* wedge heads that will actually flow more than most of the splayed valve heads out there.
I think the fact they were used in ANDRA Pro Stock says it all.

Does anyone know what the Ford, Pontiac, and Chrysler teams were using?
SDDL-UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:08 AM   #10
Chris Uratchko
Smoked Another SBC

The Splayed Valve head is an awesome design. The casting is very light weight however... not the most durable. It also doesn't have material in it to support big CID and RPM.

The ProFiler airstrike is pretty much a duplicate.... but, more refined in port height and material where you need it. And a killer casting, compared.

But, if you had the Splayed Valve heads in possession ... like I did at one time. Use them... they'll support a lot of hp.
Chris Uratchko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #11
Chad Speier
Smoked Another SBC

All I can add is they are fragile..

Couples of years ago I updated a set of heads for a 358Ē Jenkins ex Prostock Truck engine. (Slawko) After sitting in a corner of his shop for a while he assembled the engine this spring and did some testing with very good results. Last weekend the new owner resets the European B/DA record with a nice 6.84/195 run. Competing with the current stuff.
Chad Speier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #12
fredo11
Spooled up

Are there issues with push rod alignment with the splayed valve or air strikes with a dart iron eagle? Would there be a preference with either head on a well thought out 440?
fredo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2019, 07:46 AM   #13
Chris Uratchko
Smoked Another SBC

No there doesn't seem to be any issue with pushrods. However there is a better lifter layout for that cylinder head.
Chris Uratchko is offline   Reply With Quote