SBF heads - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Turbo Charged - Precision Turbo & Engine

Turbo Charged - Precision Turbo & Engine

Old 09-26-2019, 05:10 PM   #1
Growler
Spooled up

Default SBF heads

Just had the motor in my fox freshened up and the heads need to be replaced.. It's a 347 stroker, Dart Iron Eagle and forged internals built for forced induction.. Most likely going with a TT setup.. Leaning towards AFR's but don't know much about the Trick Flow heads.. Pretty common so wanted to get some feedback from you guys from your experience with which way to go..
Growler is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #2
NONVTEC
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: SBF heads

Buy a set of TF high ports and be done with it..
Old 09-26-2019, 06:41 PM   #3
TurboII
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

Depends on how much power you want to make and what your budget is. The Brodix Neal's are a killer head but needs a specific valve relief. The new Brodix SBF Head Hunters are pretty sick but are 15* and basically a revamped Victor Sr. like Edelbrock used to make before the Glidden Victor 2's came out which is an 11* head. I just finished a Drag Week 368 SBF that I'm predicting will make 750hp on pump gas, pretty trick high rpm setup for street/strip. They flow +400cfm at .750" valve lift. I would have them do a different exhaust port for boosted application making over 1K hp. Trickflow has some decent options, again depending on power goals.

KINETIC RACECRAFT
"Turning your potential into motion"
[email protected]
Dealer for: Haltech EFI, Billet Atomizer Injectors, ProTorque Converters

Coming Soon - 6000HP Mainline Pro Hub Dyno

Manifold EFI conversions, Fuel Hoop installation, Dry Deck Conversions, LS/LSX 1/2" Stud Conversions
Custom crimped AN hoses

"He who is without oil shall throw the first rod."
-Compressions 11.5:1
TurboII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:42 PM   #4
TurboII
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

I can post some pics later tonight of the Head Hunter setup I just completed.

KINETIC RACECRAFT
"Turning your potential into motion"
[email protected]
Dealer for: Haltech EFI, Billet Atomizer Injectors, ProTorque Converters

Coming Soon - 6000HP Mainline Pro Hub Dyno

Manifold EFI conversions, Fuel Hoop installation, Dry Deck Conversions, LS/LSX 1/2" Stud Conversions
Custom crimped AN hoses

"He who is without oil shall throw the first rod."
-Compressions 11.5:1
TurboII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
spyder7724
Smoked another BBC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONVTEC View Post
Buy a set of TF high ports and be done with it..
+1
spyder7724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:41 PM   #6
Screwblower
Smoked Another SBC

Buy a set Yates/ Cleveland heads. Better head gasket clamping under boost. By a set bare and have them ported to accommodate your cubic inch and rpm . Later if more cubes are added then you could go bigger in the porting without having to buy again.
Afr sucks for Sbf.
High ports> Victors>Yates/Cleveland.
Port to your cubes/rpm so that it’s not soggy down low.
Screwblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:17 PM   #7
EnginerdII
Burnout box

I ran ported low dollar TW170 heads on my 347. Went 8.30's at 168 with twin 66's at 3400 lbs with driver
EnginerdII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #8
Growler
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboII View Post
Depends on how much power you want to make and what your budget is. The Brodix Neal's are a killer head but needs a specific valve relief. The new Brodix SBF Head Hunters are pretty sick but are 15* and basically a revamped Victor Sr. like Edelbrock used to make before the Glidden Victor 2's came out which is an 11* head. I just finished a Drag Week 368 SBF that I'm predicting will make 750hp on pump gas, pretty trick high rpm setup for street/strip. They flow +400cfm at .750" valve lift. I would have them do a different exhaust port for boosted application making over 1K hp. Trickflow has some decent options, again depending on power goals.
It's just a pump gas, street car with the motor built up for piece of mind.. Horsepower doesn't need to be crazy, but even with the smallest ball bearing Precisions (59mm) it'll have the potential of pumping out 1400hp which is no where wherw I want to be in a cageless 83 Fox on the street.. Definitely going to look into the Brodies now as I want to do something different and everyone seems to run AFR/TF on these cars..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwblower View Post
Buy a set Yates/ Cleveland heads. Better head gasket clamping under boost. By a set bare and have them ported to accommodate your cubic inch and rpm . Later if more cubes are added then you could go bigger in the porting without having to buy again.
Afr sucks for Sbf.
Port to your cubes/rpm so that itís not soggy down low.
That's interesting.. I know very little about the SBF's and how to set them up.. Was always impressed with AFR's BBC setups and figured theyd be that good across the board... The Yates/Cleveland heads work on an 8.2 block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnginerdII View Post
I ran ported low dollar TW170 heads on my 347. Went 8.30's at 168 with twin 66's at 3400 lbs with driver
Nice! Who's you use to do your TT setup? Can't seem to get any of the Foxbody turbo kit builders to respond..
Old 09-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #9
Growler
Spooled up

Also, I was leaning towards AFR's because it looks like they offer the biggest combustion chamber at 72cc, and I need to get the compression in the low 8's because I'll be running pump gas.. At 62.1cc's it right at 9.1:1..
Old 09-27-2019, 11:35 AM   #10
johndickjr
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwblower View Post
Afr sucks for Sbf.
Port to your cubes/rpm so that itís not soggy down low.
AFR sucks ..lol what a clown you are
johndickjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:50 AM   #11
Growler
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboII View Post
Just got off the phone with Brodix and the BF202 Brodies would work perfect and flow huge, BUT there's no intakes out there for them on an 8.2 block.. Any ideas other than a sheet metal setup?
Old 09-27-2019, 05:47 PM   #12
Screwblower
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndickjr View Post
AFR sucks ..lol what a clown you are
Put your feelings away. Butt hurt is easily cured.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #13
Screwblower
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler View Post
It's just a pump gas, street car with the motor built up for piece of mind.. Horsepower doesn't need to be crazy, but even with the smallest ball bearing Precisions (59mm) it'll have the potential of pumping out 1400hp which is no where wherw I want to be in a cageless 83 Fox on the street.. Definitely going to look into the Brodies now as I want to do something different and everyone seems to run AFR/TF on these cars..

That's interesting.. I know very little about the SBF's and how to set them up.. Was always impressed with AFR's BBC setups and figured theyd be that good across the board... The Yates/Cleveland heads work on an 8.2 block?

Nice! Who's you use to do your TT setup? Can't seem to get any of the Foxbody turbo kit builders to respond..
the BBC are good. The sbf program needs some work. Jmo.

Last edited by Screwblower; 09-27-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:51 PM   #14
94tealGT
Pullin gears

Quote:
Also, I was leaning towards AFR's because it looks like they offer the biggest combustion chamber at 72cc, and I need to get the compression in the low 8's because I'll be running pump gas.. At 62.1cc's it right at 9.1:1..
THe thinking of pump gas and low 8ís for compression is a thing if the past. Itíll be a slug to spool etc. Even just run 9.0 upwards of 9.5. Itíll be plenty happy and have a large, wide tuning window.
94tealGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2019, 05:56 PM   #15
Screwblower
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Brodix and the BF202 Brodies would work perfect and flow huge, BUT there's no intakes out there for them on an 8.2 block.. Any ideas other than a sheet metal setup?
Buy a 9.2 cut the flange and re-weld the flange or buy the sheet metal.