Crankcase Evac System fitment issue - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Old 08-25-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
Passmore
Spooled up

Default Crankcase Evac System fitment issue

So I'm putting a set of Hooker 2451 headers on my 76 Nova (these headers are made to fit my year model Nova). It has the crankcase evac weld in bungs and check valves on them from where someone welded them in near the transition zone of the headers. The driver side fits fine, the passenger side was hitting the bottom of the firewall. I took the check valve off to see how it would fit but the bung still just barely touches the firewall and will not work. I cut it off and tried seeing where I could possibly re-weld it in but the only possible place would be on the other side of the header but it would be very close to the servo cover on the trans and could probably create issues later when I go to run my transmission lines and I doubt that welding it into the transition zone of the header is recommended, unless it's ok to do that, then I could do that, but what little common sense I have, tells me it wouldn't be the thing to do...

If that's the case, could I run the evac system on just the left side header and just plug/cover my right side header up and run it like that or would I have issues?
Passmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 06:54 PM   #2
Passmore
Spooled up

Default Re: Crankcase Evac System fitment issue

I don't know why I didn't think about it sooner but I guess it will be worth trying to cut the bung at an angle and then see if it will work that way and then I can weld it back in it's original place.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:11 PM   #3
Mike Beck
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
Smoked Another SBC

I had to use some steel pipe fittings on the passenger side of our slower car so the check valve would clear the firewall. Driver side was no problem.
Mike Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:33 PM   #4
juiced coupe 78
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beck View Post
I had to use some steel pipe fittings on the passenger side of our slower car so the check valve would clear the firewall. Driver side was no problem.
I had to do the same thing. A 45 street elbow took care of my problem.
juiced coupe 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:58 PM   #5
Passmore
Spooled up

I'll check into it if this doesn't work, thanks
Old 10-14-2019, 11:19 PM   #6
Passmore
Spooled up

Different question but still related to the thread. Can I run a pair of bullet style, straight through race mufflers with an evac system??? I've seen where people have with no problem, some do have issues and some of the manufacturers that sell the evac kits say not to run it with a muffler. I figured if it's a straight through mini/small bullet muffler, I don't see backpressure being an issue?
Old 10-15-2019, 12:11 AM   #7
juiced coupe 78
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passmore View Post
Different question but still related to the thread. Can I run a pair of bullet style, straight through race mufflers with an evac system??? I've seen where people have with no problem, some do have issues and some of the manufacturers that sell the evac kits say not to run it with a muffler. I figured if it's a straight through mini/small bullet muffler, I don't see backpressure being an issue?
I use Pypes M-80 mufflers, which are bullet type. My evac works fine.
juiced coupe 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #8
Eman85
Smoked Another SBC

Evac generally has 1/2" pipe welded at an angle in the header collector. You say bungs, bungs are just a female threaded insert that gets welded in for an O2 sensor and such. A Nova should have a lot more room than my 3rd gen F body. I used short pieces of 1/2 pipe and test fit around the collector for clearance before I drilled the hole. The pipe needs to be at an angle to create the suction to make the evac work.
Eman85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #9
Gary Blair
Smoked another BBC

When I've had clearance problems with pipe and check valve clearing the floor or firewall I mount them on the outer side of the collector. Rocker panel side. Need a little longer hose maybe.
Gary Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:23 PM   #10
Passmore
Spooled up

I found out last Friday when I called Holley/Hooker, that part number 2451 headers fit only 68-74 Nova, not 75-79, even though Jegs and Summit both say 68-79 for the 2451. I ordered the correct pair from them when I called, so the fitment issues should be fine. Will have to buy another evac kit though after I check to make sure these headers fit like they should.

Just wanted to make sure that mufflers and evac systems are compatible. I guess those that have issues with the two being ran together are like eman said, they have to be at an angle, a certain depth into the collector and need to be in the correct range of the collector to work at optimum performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2019, 10:49 PM   #11
Eman85
Smoked Another SBC

If you have the check valves just buy some black iron 1/2" pipe nipples. I cut the ends at and angle and cut a notch in them for suction.
Eman85 is offline   Reply With Quote