Which block bbc - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Turbo Charged - Precision Turbo & Engine

Turbo Charged - Precision Turbo & Engine

Old 12-02-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
izcain
Smoked another BBC

Default Which block bbc

If you were building a base for a tt bbc build. Conventional headed 2500+ hp capable which block would you choose? Hipped aluminum, or cgi iron, or just a billet capped dart M?

Like the idea of aluminum and I have seen many engines in the power range. The lbs saved would be nice since we are adding the weight back with the turbo setup. But I dont know the longevity of it. Also hear mixed reviews with many saying it wont hold up and develops cracks quickly.

Have a big m right now but it is a sportsman block, nodular caps, and 4.610 bore. It was a 585. I am not thinking the large bore would be stable enough to last if I just dropped the stroke down. Not to mention I would want to add billet caps and change to studs on all of it.

Looking to see what peoples thoughts are on it. I know some of you have pushed well beyond this!

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Old 12-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #2
TurboII
Smoked Another SBC

Garage
Default Re: Which block bbc

My first choice would be a New Century block, second choice would be a Brodix. I like the billet aluminum caps but if you go to a Y-Block like the New Century be sure they are hard anodized. Otherwise they will gaull in very short order when they are being driven home or removed. They are usually very tight with a good amount of press and usually installed/removed with a slide hammer. These style blocks have the most stable bottom ends. The New Century has a flat pan rail which makes bearing inspection a painless affair with virtually no chance of leaking afterwards. I don't think there is a W-Block made that can make this claim without a $1200-1500 two piece oil pan. Hope this helps

KINETIC RACECRAFT
"Turning your potential into motion"
[email protected]
Dealer for: Haltech EFI, Billet Atomizer Injectors, ProTorque Converters

Coming Soon - 6000HP Mainline Pro Hub Dyno

Manifold EFI conversions, Fuel Hoop installation, Dry Deck Conversions, LS/LSX 1/2" Stud Conversions
Custom crimped AN hoses

"He who is without oil shall throw the first rod."
-Compressions 11.5:1
TurboII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:30 AM   #3
izcain
Smoked another BBC

Do you think a cgi big m would be stronger then the brodix?

Old 12-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #4
TurboII
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

I just don't like cast iron blocks. One crack and its pretty much done. Aluminum is easily repairable. If it's a race only combo solid aluminum is even better. There are more options available on the New Century block.

KINETIC RACECRAFT
"Turning your potential into motion"
[email protected]
Dealer for: Haltech EFI, Billet Atomizer Injectors, ProTorque Converters

Coming Soon - 6000HP Mainline Pro Hub Dyno

Manifold EFI conversions, Fuel Hoop installation, Dry Deck Conversions, LS/LSX 1/2" Stud Conversions
Custom crimped AN hoses

"He who is without oil shall throw the first rod."
-Compressions 11.5:1
TurboII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:20 PM   #5
NPS Nova
Smoked Another SBC

Donovan has always made nice blocks. They seem to handle the power too.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #6
10sec_rx7
Smoked another BBC

if weight is not a problem the dart big M is hard to beat, im making way more power on a 10 year old one that's had a couple of rods let go inside it and it still kicking on fine,

if you want lighter then I know the Brodix hipped will do that power no issues and the NC will do it as well from what im told but I haven't used one to confirm
315 radial
3300lb land barge...
10sec_rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:56 PM   #7
tempname
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sec_rx7 View Post
if weight is not a problem the dart big M is hard to beat, im making way more power on a 10 year old one that's had a couple of rods let go inside it and it still kicking on fine,

if you want lighter then I know the Brodix hipped will do that power no issues and the NC will do it as well from what im told but I haven't used one to confirm
There's only about half a million race cars agreeing with you on the iron Dart. Well, maybe not that many. But they are the mainstay for sportsman drag racing.

Some say that an aluminum block is not as strong and rings will not hold seal as well. I have no experience with that. But you will spend more with an aluminum block, and save some weight.
tempname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:04 PM   #8
izcain
Smoked another BBC

Ok the century block is enticing, looks very strong but concerned about who machines these. Does new century do this in house?

Will all the top end components fit liie a normal conventional bbc?

Maybe time to call century and ask..... Or maybe you guys know?

Old 12-03-2018, 10:10 PM   #9
izcain
Smoked another BBC

Spoke with another company and they talked about the cgi also being throw away if something blows. They thought it would hold but were worried about it getting wounded. Recommended a hipped aluminum.

I guess I'll call new century tomorrow and talk to them.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:05 PM   #10
10sec_rx7
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempname View Post
There's only about half a million race cars agreeing with you on the iron Dart. Well, maybe not that many. But they are the mainstay for sportsman drag racing.

Some say that an aluminum block is not as strong and rings will not hold seal as well. I have no experience with that. But you will spend more with an aluminum block, and save some weight.
you will buy 2 iron blocks for the price of a brodix block, and save 100lb.. if the 100lb is worth the $3000 then the answer is pretty simple,

ive tuend cars to well over 2200rwhp with the brodix blocks and zero issues at that power level with a water jacket or solid block,

personally I would only use a solid cast one or billet at or above those power levels
315 radial
3300lb land barge...
Old 12-03-2018, 11:10 PM   #11
10sec_rx7
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by izcain View Post
Spoke with another company and they talked about the cgi also being throw away if something blows. They thought it would hold but were worried about it getting wounded. Recommended a hipped aluminum.

I guess I'll call new century tomorrow and talk to them.

my current block has had 2 rods let go in it before I brought it, its got 2 sleaves and it still works fine at 3000+

ive seen more alloy blocks with holes out the side if it takes a oil gallery out then its junk either way, its a risk you take with any block.. if you are worried about throwing it out after a blow up then leave the car in the shed
315 radial
3300lb land barge...
Old 12-03-2018, 11:48 PM   #12
izcain
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sec_rx7 View Post
my current block has had 2 rods let go in it before I brought it, its got 2 sleaves and it still works fine at 3000+

ive seen more alloy blocks with holes out the side if it takes a oil gallery out then its junk either way, its a risk you take with any block.. if you are worried about throwing it out after a blow up then leave the car in the shed
In not worried about being able to save something if it blows. I am worried about selecting a foundation that will take the power reliably without blowing to pieces. If you think the basic iron block is fine I understand.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:05 AM   #13
10sec_rx7
Smoked another BBC

if your not worried about the 100lb then get a dart big M with the steel caps.. good from anything you will ever throw at it.
315 radial
3300lb land barge...
Old 12-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #14
izcain
Smoked another BBC

Spoke with Lowell over @ new century. Very nice guy and full of information and help. Going to look into pricing and compare. I can say though based on customer service I would like to purchase from him anyways.

We will see. For aluminum, this sure does seem like the way to go. Yes I know that the cast iron is going to be far cheaper.

This one might have some factor for sure! Will look good in there with the Pro mod 94's

Last edited by izcain; 12-04-2018 at 08:29 PM.
izcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #15
prost63vette
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by izcain View Post
Spoke with Lowell over @ new century. Very nice guy and full of information and help. Going to look into pricing and compare. I can say though based on customer service I would like to purchase from him anyways.

We will see. For aluminum, this sure does seem like the way to go. Yes I know that the cast iron is going to be far cheaper.

This one might have some factor for sure! Will look good in there with the Pro mod 94's
Spend the extra $$$$$ and do it right the first time sure other blocks will hold the power for a little bit but they can not take the abuse for ever . Just my 2 cents