Chris Straub (Straub Technologies ) - Page 3 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Classifieds Feedback > Negative seller/buyer feedback

Negative seller/buyer feedback This section is designed to keep everyone informed on bad experiences when buying and selling parts.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #31
247apache
Spooled up

Default Re: Chris Straub (Straub Technologies )

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post

Is it that easy to get a date? Post her pictures.
247apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2016, 07:34 PM   #32
blown65
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
so because people have had good dealing, it doesn't necessarily mean that he is like that to everyone.

ive been waiting a year for him to get back to me about Jager rods, which I no longer want by the way. So don't send me a bill.
Ya, I got a cam from him, dealing was ok but it did not perform in anyway better. Even though it was stated it would pick up xxx amount. Not worth going back and forth cause I know how that shit always ends up, end users fault. I just moved on.
blown65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:12 AM   #33
DART540
Pre-Staged

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown65 View Post
Ya, I got a cam from him, dealing was ok but it did not perform in anyway better. Even though it was stated it would pick up xxx amount. Not worth going back and forth cause I know how that shit always ends up, end users fault. I just moved on.
I found the fix
Old 03-03-2016, 11:19 PM   #34
LarryO
Unbanned
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247apache View Post
Is it that easy to get a date? Post her pictures.
she looks alright, eh.
LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:18 PM   #35
blown65
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DART540 View Post

Lol, car is history with the new and not improved cam. New owner runs it
blown65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:28 PM   #36
LarryO
Unbanned
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
No I want this thread to stays sir. I'll let the members decide for themselves.

look at all the people in here deciding.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:38 PM   #37
JRonfel66
Burnout box

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-p...er-slower.html

Here is my experience....cam was removed last week to be put up for sale. #8 exhaust lobe had casting defect. Cam is on the way back to Chris to "have bullet take care of it"..........
JRonfel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #38
LarryO
Unbanned
Smoked Another SBC

Now im getting PM's from people that tell me they cannot post in here?

needs moderator approval or something.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #39
JRonfel66
Burnout box

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-p...er-slower.html

Here is my Chris Straub experience....I pulled the cam out last week to put it up for sale. When I pulled it out I noticed the #8 exhaust lobe appeared to have a casting defect in it. I new it was unsaleable. I contacted chris and sent him a pic. He said to send it back and he would have bullet take car of it. Cam landed in his hands today, so I guess we will see....
JRonfel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #40
nikolas812
Pullin gears

Interesting Thread.

Nik
Old 03-15-2016, 07:36 PM   #41
dino17
TD 3550
Smoked another BBC

^^^ How is the car coming along?
dino17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:59 PM   #42
cstraub
Smoked another BBC

I'm going to address this then move on....

First experience with Chris is a camshaft in my 532 bbf. Claimed the camshaft I was running was junk. I did the swap and peak power was down and average power was up. I wasn't happy so we had a little chat. He told me we needed more valve area in the head to achieve my goals.

KP was a customer of one of my customers. I had done camshaft for this shop in Canada for many years. They called me with a combination and I ran some numbers and I said the camshaft was way to big. They called back and I did a camshaft. New cam although down at peak picked up an average of 70HP and 90#/ft of torque. Powerband much broader. KP begged to talk to me and finally customer agreed to let him. Myself and Scott shared a ton of info with him on the phone and my customer. It was during this conversation KP was told it need more valve area to turn up. He said his head porter told him that putting a bigger valve in it would kill velocity. Scott told him the higher you go in rpm the more valve area you need. I told him peak number didn't mean anything, with the average power higher and wider the truck would perform better. The truck was run for a season like this and it won many pulls. This combination was run for a season.

So try #2. We do a bunch of head work and pick up 35 cfm intake head flow with a larger valve and port work. Order new camshaft and Chris has a good deal on some PAC valve springs for me. Customer ordered them and never paid for them so he will discount them for me. I get them in a regular unmarked cardboard box with no ID. I ask him what they are and he sends me a part # for a tripple spring and its a double spring that he sent. I let him know and never hear back about it.

KP decides he will go with our recommendation and put a larger intake valve in the head. We discussed him sending the heads down here but in the end he has his head porter do the work that Scott told him needed done. New cam is designed for engine and sent to my customer who is not KP, it is the shop. PAC springs are sent and they are an open box that were not used on a project.

So i test them and they dont mach up to anything in the cataloge. Now they are useless to me because i cant replace one if it breaks. I install camshaft and engine has almost 60 hp over a previous best. All is great at this point. The cam is wiped out (went soft)after a season and he sees fit to charge me full price for a new one.

Second engine makes more power because of Foxwells tech support and new camshaft. Engine runs most of the season but does loose a lifter at a given point. At this time we discover customer has 3/8" pushrods in engine. I tell him he needs to have 7/16" minimum in this thing for the rpm he is turning. To KP's defense this is not his wheelhouse, he is a welder with some good basic knowledge but not a professional engine builder.

Next project. A 350 Oldsmobile. New cam and lifters from Straub. He has just what I need. Engine has less power than before. O,well , Chris sais it's not the camshafts fault. Customer doesn't have a pile of money to spend on the project so I eat the cost and tell him we need to do some induction work when he can afford it.

I have checked my records and KP has never bought a Olds cam from me. Now I will say this. KP contacted me to buy direct from me. He said he was hours away from my other customer and they were over the boarder and he was in the USA and it was hassle. So I called my customer that originally had KP as a customer and we discussed this. We worked out a mutual agreement that worked for my customer and myself. Now the olds cam was ground June 30th, 2014. This is first I have have heard any issues.

Well I thought we could give it 1 more go. A 6.0 LQ4 in a 2500 Silverado. I will give Chris the benefit of the doubt. Something was out of the ordinary with the other projects. Customer tows a heavy camper and wants a little more grunt. I talk to Chris and Yep, I got just what you need. A "drop in" no tuning required camshaft will pick it up 50 hp and 40 ft lbs. Sell the customer on it, great let's get it done. Order cam, lifters, head bolts, oil pump, timing chain and gears and gaskets from Chris. Tear the engine apart and find substantial wear everywhere. Do a little price checking and find its cheaper to get a new gm crate engine than fix everything. So we get one of them coming and ask Chris if he will accept the parts I don't need, I am just going to install the new cam and the new chain and gears.

KP ordered cam and parts. I shipped out open account, not smart on my part. My bookkeeper at the end of 30 days called to get payment. KP said he would take care of it. At some point KP stopped picking up the phone. An invoice is a contract. If I had been told within 30 days that we needed to send some stuff back that would have been fine. 10 months later and you haven't paid for it....no that's not acceptable.

Nope, can't take anything back. Well we finish the project and put the vehicle back in service. Check engine lights shortly after. All kinds of codes, it's not happy. So here we go. New mass airflow sensor and O2 sensors and adjustable fuel psi regulator and now it's somewhat better. Tell the customer to haul his camper to the lake and try it. Comes back next week dissatisfied. Pulled better stock than now. So now what? I have a dissatisfied customer that spent a lot of money and is watching his truck in the shop more than he is driving it. I spend the money and custom tune the thing so it actually runs correctly. Now I have a happy customer but I just lost thousands of dollars on another job. Call Chris for some support and " I'll get back to you on that" . Never heard back.

8 months later KP tells me this thing runs great. Pulls great and all but when you shut it off the computer resets and it does not want to run. The 6.0L cam sent has been sold more than dozen times. A customer close to KP has one in a 6.0L and loves it. I have not had an issue with this profile in a stock EFI computer truck. MI Offroad runs these in their 6.0L Dune trucks. KP informs me that he has spent $4K to get an EFI software package so he can tune stuff himself. Great...that's business decision. Not my decision. I do feel that we all have a lot to learn each day. Not getting back to him I don't understand because we tried to call him multiple times to get paid for all the parts that he had gotten and could not get him on the phone.

Meanwhile during all of this the 611" Thor project is in process for my brother. He has a pulling truck as well. Was considering a new Sonny's engine but Straub said he could build a engine to out power one of them with a lot less money.

Owner of shop in Winnipeg that introduced KP to us and KP's brother are friends. Since KP's truck was running so good and won so many pulls the decision to let us build the engine was made. KP's brother can buy from where ever he wants, his choice. It was my suggestion that we could run a set of Thor heads, Jager was getting back into the rod business, and a billet crank would go in the engine. Invoice is from Oct. 22nd, 2014. Major deposit was received on February 1st, 2015. Original quote HAS NOT CHANGED ONLY IN PARTS, PRICES HAVE GONE DOWN.

Originally we were going to use the customers fuel system, aluminum block, belt drive, and damper. The block after removing sleeves was found to need work. Estimate given and customer chose eliminator block and sent it. Now go into your ARP catalog and find a stud set for Eliminator Block with Thor heads. Don't exist so custom set was made. Engine plate that was sent had to be machined for drive accessories, the Eliminator block....not in the quote EXTRA. The fuel system was a 20 year old design. My fault on this as I should have told the customer we needed to go carbs and be done. Well could not find the mfg of the alky pump, it was not marked. Not going to fire a high dollar engine on pump I knew nothing about. Consulted the brother told him we needed to be sure the system was correct and replace what was needed. He agreed. Waterman stuff was used.....not in quote EXTRA. Customer had bought a Daytona Sensors ignition. In speaking with a few at 17 to 1 that system was border line. I new where there were 3 Crane HI8 systems were and new they were good for 2500HP and no problem for this build. At under $700 that is a deal for that system. .....NOT ON QUOTE. Customer also added valve covers, gauges, Alternator......NOT on QUOTE. Oh yeah, with alternator comes modification of engine plate for mounts.

We are late and behind. This project has fought us from day one. Not many Thor headed Eliminator block combos out there. This is a one off build and any professional knows these things are not money makers they are money pits. After spending good money on what I was told would be a plug and play fuel system, Scott and Mr. Meyers spent 2 days fighting of 240# plus fuel pressure at idle and up ward of 320# during a pull. It was decided to pull her off the dyno and check her. The alky had washed the rings out. No help to me from the guy that set it up. It was our fault for not calling. Him. Engine got new rings, bearings, and full check up. Engine looked very good on the inside. Researched mechanical injection guys and sent system out again. Was told this was a very dated system and would take more money to get it right and in the end would not make good power. At his point I said enough is enough and I having AED build 2 Pro Doms at the cost of $2200 each for the engine. I AM PAYING FOR THESE. MY MONEY NOT THE CUSTOMERS.

I have told the brother what I am doing. Carbs are ordered and should be done the end of the month. He has asked for decals to put on the truck and will be building another engine and has asked Scott and I to be a part of that project in the future also.

Those things are way overpriced with inflated power numbers. My brother buys a cheap engine to pull for a year while Straub builds the new power plant. Gonna have Jager rods and Bryant crankshaft and all the best technology. Turn the thing as hard as you want. 6 months later the phone rings. What kind of rods do you want?

In October I ordered and got the Thor heads from C&C Motorsports. I had no deposit. I called Bryant and Scat. Scott's friend works in the crank department and told us same material as Bryant and out stuff does very well. Jager rods were not going to be available so I contacted customer to tell him I wanted to use Oliver. Brother was worried about Scat crank as he had been told that they break and just had one break in a 1000HP build. He sent me pictures. Yes it was a SCAT crank but it was a CAST crank. I told him anybody that puts a cast crank in a compression build that is going to make 1000HP is nuts. Carrol Carter at C&C uses Scat in his Top Sportsman, Pro Mod, and other combinations and has no issue.

Next thing you know it has a Scatt crankshaft in it. Price goes up every time you talk to him and he sells you every part you can think of. Tells us what ignition he would like in the truck so we purchase it.

Pricing on the original invoice has in fact gone DOWN. The cost of this build has gone up as we have added to it. All of which the brother has approved. The cylinder head studs took 1 kit from ARP and 2 kits from C&C. Each stud, nut, and washer had to be modified by Foxwell in the lathe. The customers choice in block was a change. The result is more cost.

Next we need a ignition that only he has.
Crane has not made the HI8 in years. Why, they never failed. I made sure that we could get it serviced. Brother approved.

We sent him a fully functional fuel system and he takes pieces of it and orders new stuff for $2500 to update it.

If anyone can identify this fuel pump let me know. I couldn't. This was not a functional fuel system. The barrel valve had a piece of all thread bent around it for mounting. Also per 2 people this system is at least 15 years old. Pictures of fuel pump were sent to both and they were both not sure on the system.

Wrecks the thing on the dyno due to the fuel system. Chris has $45,000 parts supplied and cash for this build and is over a year behind delivery date on the project.

If there is anyone on this board that is perfect on the dyno for no issues let me know. I have explained above what happened. The true measure of a man is how you handle it. I didn't bitch, I fixed the problem and have cut my losses and paying for out of my pocket for a new fuel system. I has been stated that we are 2 years out on this project. Major deposit was received 2/01/2016. By my math that is 1 year 15 days.

Next thing you know, I ask a question in the N/A section about some cylinder heads and Chris humiliates me over a couple thousand dollars I owe him on a different project.

KP, Scott and I have given you hours of technical support. Apparently that is not good enough. Yes you owed me money and then you come on here and ask questions that we have already given you the answers too all the while you still owe me money for over 14 months. For some this is hobby or a passion. For some of us this is our lively hood. Could this have been handle differently yes.

I bring out a few facts and the thread is deleted. I however did promptly pay the bill though. Guess that's all that matters.

Ken in every story there is 2 sides. In the middle is the truth. All you posted was your side. Now I have posted mine. Promptly paying the bill is not 14 months later. I will say thank you because after all of this, I smartened up and I am not letting stuff go out of here because I think the guy is a good guy. It is paid for when it leaves.

Any large projects you do with Straub , MAKE SURE IT IS DOCUMENTED.

Anyone on here gets a quote. Just like your brother did. That quote has stayed the same except for some brands and the cost has actually gone down. Any parts added to this build including labor has been invoiced on separate invoices and it is all DOCUMENTED. Anyone customer that gets stuff from me gets a written quote up front. That protects both parties. If things change then stuff gets added to new quote or invoice. In the case of all this that KP has brought up I have all the documentation in QuickBooks with dates and amounts. Thank God. That is business and that is how I role.

Those that have dealt with me know how I am and how I do things. Those that have had issues with something please contact me and lets discuss. God did not make me perfect and I do make mistakes I just want the chance to make it right.

This is all I have to say. Back to business.
Chris Straub
Straub Technologies
423 391 7774
[email protected]
www.straubtechnologies.com
www.distributorgears.com
cstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:08 PM   #43
killer puller
Launchin

Now I understand why you say that there are 2 sides to every story and in the middle is the truth. Don't think even half of what you said is true Chris. I never asked to talk to you. You guys set up a 3 way call, remember. The numbers you suggested are not even close but at this point it's "he said, she said". I will have to dig up the dyno sheets. I am not a welder, and I don't know how anyone would expect a welder to put a engine of this caliber together. I have been a mechanic/engine builder for many years. I could go on and on and dispute about every point you made but at this point I just want to move on. Is it that hard for you to acknowledge you did something wrong Chris? It doesn't have to be in public. You can call, PM, email or whatever you want. I don't care to drag you through the mud any more and I don't hold onto grudges forever. Seems to me it would be much easier to settle this in person than arguing on some forum.
killer puller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:08 AM   #44
DART540
Pre-Staged

I was asked to post my story on here but i know it will get changed to a version that will be far from the truth. Just like whats being displayed above. Whats the point? My friends called it the worn out bread truck cam. It was sold on ebay to someone in Florida. Dont ask me who because i really dont know as i had friend sell it for me so my name wasnt a part of it. He wouldnt let me destroy it like i wanted.
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2016, 12:24 PM   #45
cstraub
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DART540 View Post
I was asked to post my story on here but i know it will get changed to a version that will be far from the truth. Just like whats being displayed above. Whats the point? My friends called it the worn out bread truck cam. It was sold on ebay to someone in Florida. Dont ask me who because i really dont know as i had friend sell it for me so my name wasnt a part of it. He wouldnt let me destroy it like i wanted.
Russ Schildroth, how have you been sir? John Deere must not be busy if your posting while working.
[email protected]
www.straubtechnologies.com
www.distributorgears.com
cstraub is offline   Reply With Quote