427" Clevor Dragweek Build - Page 6 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Naturally Aspirated - Uratchko Racing Engines

Naturally Aspirated - Uratchko Racing Engines

Old 10-20-2019, 10:26 PM   #76
Doc's Notch
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: 427" Clevor Dragweek Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS#1540 View Post
Doc, have the Higgins heads and intake been ported?
The heads are straight out of the box from Higgins. The heads are CNC ported and hand finished by Higgins.

Street car with a 5 speed
427ci SBF
9.72 at 141mph

Higgins/FTI/PK Machine Clevor Coming soon

https://youtu.be/JninsZY-yIs

Drag Week 2013 SR\SB\NA Winner
Drag Week 2015 SS\SB\NA Winner
Drag Week 2016 SS\SB\NA Runner Up
Doc's Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #77
n2omike
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc's Notch View Post
Thank you for the compliment. I do not agree with the statement of the dyno being unloaded though. It is still turning a 3500# roller, which is 500# more than the car weighs. I realize it is not the same, but there is definitely a decent load there. Enough load that i put a bunch of clutch in the thing, more than i thought i needed, way more than what i use at the racetrack, and it was driving thru the clutch if i didn't roll into it.
Drivetrains don't usually break on inertia dynos. Launches and gear changes (especially with a stick shift) put momentary HIGH loads on the engine, which can cause it to detonate. Once detonation starts, it likely takes a little bit to go away.

If I had that kind of coin in a high compression engine like yours, the LAST place I would try to be frugal... would be with fuel... and it's not like you need the expensive stuff. I'm aware you likely enjoy the bragging rights of being 'pump gas'... but I would still add a little 'insurance' at the track.

The first paragraph is mostly 'theory' on my behalf... being the more you load an engine, the more likely it is to detonate... Take it for what you think it's worth. The engines in my mustang have always been 'stock block'... and running one of those into detonation is what kills/splits them when you're pushing their limits. I've gotten about 15 years out of the last two engines, with the last one still going strong... and that's with dozens of bottles through a 200 hp plate on one. Never split one.

If you decide to skip the good fuel, inspect the main caps carefully if/when you do a freshen-up. I was a little sloppy with detonation avoidance on the first engine in the beginning, and the caps were beat to hell. Never heard a thing... but made adjustments, and everything has been fine ever since.

Good Luck
9.88 @ 135.67
n2omike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:46 PM   #78
Mike Beck
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Thanks Mike, that sounds like some slimbo stips right there. BTW, I have been meaning to text you back, leaning out the fuel map in the area above the idle zone fixed the stalling when i kick the clutch pedal in.

He will out-stip the best of them!

Glad the tip helped ya, it can be frustrating at times!

Good to see you again at Drag Week.
Mike Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:40 PM   #79
GrannySShifting
Smoked another BBC

The rollers are 3000# if its a 248c dynojet. 2000# if 224 model. That is not a accurate load to weight however.

I had many cars 800hp range that were fine on dynojet air fuel, then on track would be different. I bought my mustang and after alot of calibration, cars were spot on with its eddy current absorber

2 degrees I dont think is going to keep it from being a handful haha, but def think smart for motor sake. That thing is gonna be wicked
GrannySShifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:00 PM   #80
BOSS#1540
Launchin

Quote:
The heads are straight out of the box from Higgins. The heads are CNC ported and hand finished by Higgins.
Wow, that's impressive, room to grow yet then.
BOSS#1540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:04 PM   #81
shane427
Spooled up

Quote:

There are a few guys in Australia that have similar combos, with more compression, more RPM, and more aggressive camshafts, on pump gas, with no issues. If those guys had not already done it, i would have not tried to be the first. That being said the plan has always been to take 2 degrees out just to knock a little power out of it for the first few passes just because this thing is going to be a handful on a small tire with a clutch.

Australian pump fuel is 98 not 93. My sbf engine made over 900hp on pump 98 with 12.75 compand 26deg of timing.

Sent from my SM-T595 using Tapatalk

Last edited by shane427; 10-22-2019 at 11:05 PM.
shane427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:07 PM   #82
TheNovaMan
Smoked Another SBC

Do you guys go by (R+M)/2 or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten5nova View Post
I know you're the Cragar king
You got that right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Uratchko View Post
there is nothing in an LS that will support more hp per CID than a Gen 1... absolutely zero.
TheNovaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #83
Doc's Notch
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane427 View Post
Australian pump fuel is 98 not 93. My sbf engine made over 900hp on pump 98 with 12.75 compand 26deg of timing.

Sent from my SM-T595 using Tapatalk
It is not 98 octane, it is 98 RON, which is very similar to our 93 octane.

Street car with a 5 speed
427ci SBF
9.72 at 141mph

Higgins/FTI/PK Machine Clevor Coming soon

https://youtu.be/JninsZY-yIs

Drag Week 2013 SR\SB\NA Winner
Drag Week 2015 SS\SB\NA Winner
Drag Week 2016 SS\SB\NA Runner Up
Doc's Notch is offline   Reply With Quote