Hose type - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Old 10-19-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
chrisjk383
Spooled up

Default Hose type

A friend told me to use Teflon hose for my transmission cooler lines... got me to thinking what else it should be used for... my aeromotive pump kit came with rubber steel braided hose which I would like to use because I already purchased fittings and lines are already run... question I have is what type of hose should we be using for engine oil cooler, fuel (gasoline, up to 30psi), and ATF?
chrisjk383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 02:53 AM   #2
TheNovaMan
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Hose type

Teflon is great because it's impervious to almost everything, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet. What brand and model lines do you have carrying what fluids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten5nova View Post
I know you're the Cragar king
You got that right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Uratchko View Post
there is nothing in an LS that will support more hp per CID than a Gen 1... absolutely zero.
TheNovaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:55 AM   #3
Topfun99
Smoked Another SBC

You can never go wrong with Teflon hose. For hot lubricants I always recommend Teflon.

I won't run braided rubber hose ever again for fuel if it has any alcohol content at all. If it's 100% gas it's "okay" but it does break down over time which you will find out if you run it long enough.

Thanks to:

HALTECH (Elite 2500 plus REM)
TRZ MOTORSPORTS
REAL STREET PERFORMANCE
FB PERFORMANCE
PTC
M/T Tires
Kris Starnes Racing

EMAIL - [email protected]
Topfun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:00 AM   #4
rodent4
Busy being a cunt
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topfun99 View Post
You can never go wrong with Teflon hose. For hot lubricants I always recommend Teflon.

I won't run braided rubber hose ever again for fuel if it has any alcohol content at all. If it's 100% gas it's "okay" but it does break down over time which you will find out if you run it long enough.
Not braided, but I recently turfed a piece of AQP hose I had soaking in E85 for nearly 2 years..........the E85 had NO impact on it(to the eye and feel).
rodent4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:44 AM   #5
Topfun99
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent4 View Post
Not braided, but I recently turfed a piece of AQP hose I had soaking in E85 for nearly 2 years..........the E85 had NO impact on it(to the eye and feel).
You missed 2 critical components that cause degradation of the hose. Heat and air, especially air.

In May 2018 I purchased 12 foot of Aeroquip AQP hose for my car for my secondary fuel system that uses E85. In October, it was leaking.

Thanks to:

TRZ MOTORSPORTS
REAL STREET PERFORMANCE
FB PERFORMANCE
PTC
M/T Tires
Kris Starnes Racing

Old 10-20-2019, 03:56 AM   #6
Topfun99
Smoked Another SBC

I got timed out but here's a better overview on my experience.

The original Aeroquip AQP hose lasted for almost 10 years while I ran race gas. In May 2018, it failed a few months after I started using E85. I purchased 12 foot of Aeroquip AQP hose after it developed it's first leak. In October 2018 it started was leaking and I had to replace it again. The second time I used Teflon.

One of the factors that contributed to it's short life was that was my secondary fuel system and it only pressurized when I was under boost. When it wasn't pressurized, part of the fuel in the hose would drain back to the fuel cell which exposed a section of the inside of the hose to air and would stay that way for days/weeks. That's where both lines ended up leaking.

Thanks to:

TRZ MOTORSPORTS
REAL STREET PERFORMANCE
FB PERFORMANCE
PTC
M/T Tires
Kris Starnes Racing

Old 10-20-2019, 04:00 AM   #7
rodent4
Busy being a cunt
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topfun99 View Post
You missed 2 critical components that cause degradation of the hose. Heat and air, especially air.

In May 2018 I purchased 12 foot of Aeroquip AQP hose for my car for my secondary fuel system that uses E85. In October, it was leaking.
I've been running AQP for the last 13 years, and the last 2 years with E85 without any problems....Maybe our E85's aren't equal
Old 10-20-2019, 04:16 AM   #8
rodent4
Busy being a cunt
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Maybe our E85's aren't equal
Topfun, check my pics out here........maybe our fuels are significantly different?

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/raci...vel-t1901.html
Old 10-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #9
Topfun99
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
I've been running AQP for the last 13 years, and the last 2 years with E85 without any problems....Maybe our E85's aren't equal
Maybe the fuels are slightly different but more likely the reason is simple - you are running a carb.

What fuel pressure are in your lines - 10psi? My fuel lines see 45-75psi which means the pressure expands and "exercises" the rubber liner a lot more every time it cycles. All the failures I've had were in -10 and -12 size lines - larger diameter sizes make the hose more sensitive to higher pressure. Working pressure for -12AN is 750 psi, -6AN is 1500 psi.

The first hose failure I wrote about didn't surprise me since the hose was in operation for 8 years, the second one after less then 5 months was a surprise. The common factor was how long E85 was used. I just started using E85 in early February 2018 and the first failure occurred 4 months later. The second failure occurred in early October 2018 - slightly over 4 months after it was installed.

That's enough proof for me.

Thanks to:

TRZ MOTORSPORTS
REAL STREET PERFORMANCE
FB PERFORMANCE
PTC
M/T Tires
Kris Starnes Racing

Old 10-21-2019, 03:23 PM   #10
litshoot
Spooled up

Could the secondary fuel system be drawing more water from air into the alcohol when it drains back, also condensation if it gets hot at engine then cools in the tank. doesnt it get more acidic when moisture goes up
litshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #11
n2omike
Smoked Another SBC

The local parts store offers both regular fuel line... and fuel line that is EFI approved. I'm guessing the EFI stuff is made for higher pressure, and may be more resistant to ethanol? I'm about to use some to replace the Power Steering return on an old Honda, as one of the metal lines has a hole in it.
9.88 @ 135.67
n2omike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #12
TheNovaMan
Smoked Another SBC

Yes. "Carburetor" fuel hose has a nitrile core, and "EFI" hose has a Viton (fluoroelastomer) core. Viton is more chemically resistant than nitrile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten5nova View Post
I know you're the Cragar king
You got that right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Uratchko View Post
there is nothing in an LS that will support more hp per CID than a Gen 1... absolutely zero.
TheNovaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:30 PM   #13
n2omike
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
Yes. "Carburetor" fuel hose has a nitrile core, and "EFI" hose has a Viton (fluoroelastomer) core. Viton is more chemically resistant than nitrile.
The hose I bought was Gates Bio Fuel and Flex Fuel compatible. The 3/8" size was rated at 225 psi. A 4 ft section and two clamps was around $18. Somewhat heavier and a little larger in diameter than regular fuel line, but not THAT much bigger.
9.88 @ 135.67
n2omike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:10 AM   #14
SuperStockAMX
Spooled up

The more I read about hose issues...the more I want to hard line the car!
Redline Racing Cams
4300 Autolite
SuperStockAMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 04:05 AM   #15
rodent4
Busy being a cunt
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStockAMX View Post
The more I read about hose issues...the more I want to hard line the car!