WTF is going on - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Diesel Power

Old 10-21-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
chrisjk383
Spooled up

Default WTF is going on

Hey guys,

I just finished replacing the head gaskets o my 6.5TD for my 1996 K3500... Along the way I did studs, gaskets, injectors, glow plugs etc... The truck is running now however there is an intermittent problem and I have been all over the 6.5 forums, but I figured it was time to try YB out... Every other day (roughly) I go out to start the truck, it takes a good 8 seconds to start, followed by a big puff of white smoke. The other days it starts right up. To add to that, if i start it once, it will start great for the rest of the day zero issues. Also, when it does run, it runs awesome! Before asking the inevitable: The glow plug system is working perfectly, all new grounds, and brand new raptor lift pump putting out 10PSI... Brand new crank sensor, brand new PMD, OPS filter removed... only other thing i can think of is an optical sensor itself, or the pump itself? I have been driving the truck with this issue for the last month, trying all the above things one step at a time with no success.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
chrisjk383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
JRogers
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: WTF is going on

cracked head
JRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:25 PM   #3
chrisjk383
Spooled up

Not saying its not possible, but the heads are brand new.
chrisjk383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 04:27 PM   #4
Gdogg
Trump Voter NRA Member
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

A 6.5, you don't see many of those around.
So, typically your problem sounds like it sucking air or bleeding down overnight. When I get a truck that's bleeding down I just change every O-ring and rubber fuel hose on it, it's all old brittle rubber and that usually fixes it. So try that first.

The reason your probably getting the white smoke is because you cranked it for those 8 seconds, every revolution those injectors spray fuel, if it does burn that fuel (not start) the fuel goes in the exhaust, when it finally starts the fuel in the exhaust burns and creates the cloud of white smoke. White smoke = unburnt fuel, if the injectors are worn out and don't atomize the fuel like they should you will also get white smoke.