external oil pump plumbing on Dart Big M - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Old 10-05-2019, 11:43 PM   #1
nob00st
Pre-Staged

Exclamation external oil pump plumbing on Dart Big M

Hello,

Like I said in my other thread, I am planning on running my BBC with a wet sump and an external oil pump while utilizing the factory oil filter (do not want a remote oil filter). I will be feeding the external oil pump from the pan with a wet sump, external pump specific pan (moroso 20486). My question is, where do i feed the block with pressurized oil so that it gets filtered by the factory oil filter before it goes through the rest of the engine? The factory oil pump on the rear main cap has been blocked off. The block is a Dart Big M. The Dart techs gave conflicting information. To accomplish what I want to do, would I use the port on the side of the block above the oil filter pad or the port in the rear of the block or some other port? Thanks.

port on the side of the block above the oil filter pad:

port on rear of the block

Last edited by nob00st; 10-05-2019 at 11:45 PM.
nob00st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2019, 11:54 PM   #2
nob00st
Pre-Staged

Default Re: external oil pump plumbing on Dart Big M

might I add, the Dart instructions says both of the ports I mentioned above are "external oil feed" ports.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:20 AM   #3
nob00st
Pre-Staged

anybody?
Old 10-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #4
makinchips
Smoked another BBC

Gotta feed the outer dia of the filter 1st.
Oil will fill the filter pleats and run thru the pleats into the filter inner dia then thru the center to the main oil galley.
makinchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #5
RCM Racing engines
Smoked Another SBC

If you use the port by the oil filter you must plug the passage that goes back to the main cap from the internal oil pump, either plug the block or the main cap.
If you want to use the rear feed on the bell housing you must use a remote oil filter adaptor or in line filter as that goes right into the main oil feed.

Just an old' Mennonite..........
RCM Racing engines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:44 PM   #6
nob00st
Pre-Staged

thanks makinchips and RCM Racing engines.

I plugged the rear main cap already, where the oil pump attached to. I was just confused with the Dart instructions since it said "external oil feed (filtered)" for the port above the oil filter. To me, that implied that it was an external oil feed, feeding filtered oil for things like a turbo for example. I just wanted to make sure that was the proper place for me to feed the ENGINE from my external oil pump to be able to utilize the stock oil filter. Like i said, i don't want a remote oil filter.

Thanks again
Old 10-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #7
BigLar368
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nob00st View Post
thanks makinchips and RCM Racing engines.

I plugged the rear main cap already, where the oil pump attached to. I was just confused with the Dart instructions since it said "external oil feed (filtered)" for the port above the oil filter. To me, that implied that it was an external oil feed, feeding filtered oil for things like a turbo for example. I just wanted to make sure that was the proper place for me to feed the ENGINE from my external oil pump to be able to utilize the stock oil filter. Like i said, i don't want a remote oil filter.

Thanks again
Is there a particular reason you do not want to use a remote filter? Just curious....nothing more.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #8
nob00st
Pre-Staged

mainly to simplify everything. extra oil lines running around turbos and hot parts. I actually have a System 1 remote oil filter roll-bar mount already from my old set-up but just want to do away with all that this go around.