Anyone make anything good lately? - Page 25 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Cook of the weak

Cook of the weak Grilling, Smoking, Slow Cookers, Dutch Ovens and other forms of cooking!!!

Old 09-06-2017, 04:38 AM   #361
cepx111
Former RJ instigator
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

I found a nicely marbled strip steak ( choice, angus, reduced for quick sale $8 bucks ) that was equally good, maybe a bit over cooked to my liking but still very good and loaded with flavor.

cepx111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #362
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

It only took me 30 years to duplicate a real Japanese Restaurant Hibachi Meal, but I finally did.

Scallops have kicked my butt forever. Tried Hot Stones, Hot Salt Stones, All-Clad, etc. Finally figured it out, a real grill at 470 degrees. Came out perfect.

First thing cooked on my new griddle and think I picked the perfect thing to start with. Replicated exactly right down to the bean sprouts at the end. The only thing I didn't do was the broth at the start. Tickled pink right now.

Denny
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:00 PM   #363
JHOLE
Smoked another BBC

Good job Denny.. I'm very curious.. was that done on one of those skillet / grill things..?? One aspect of cooking that has always intrigued me is - thermal mass / constant temperature vs. food added ,and loss of thermal mass.... Always seemed like the meth heads at the diners had a much easier time cooking an egg , than the housewife did on her skillet..

And, i've come across the same in my experiences.. Something makes me think that some of the " Low and Slow " craze has to do with a false understanding of temperature swing at the early stages... Always thought of putting a big granite rock in the smoker to see if it bufferred any initial heat swing / heat sink..

Seems like something difficult to cook ( like scallops ) , may be subject to a heat drop...
JHOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:52 PM   #364
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOLE View Post
Good job Denny.. I'm very curious.. was that done on one of those skillet / grill things..?? One aspect of cooking that has always intrigued me is - thermal mass / constant temperature vs. food added ,and loss of thermal mass.... Always seemed like the meth heads at the diners had a much easier time cooking an egg , than the housewife did on her skillet..

And, i've come across the same in my experiences.. Something makes me think that some of the " Low and Slow " craze has to do with a false understanding of temperature swing at the early stages... Always thought of putting a big granite rock in the smoker to see if it bufferred any initial heat swing / heat sink..

Seems like something difficult to cook ( like scallops ) , may be subject to a heat drop...
Wow! That was a pretty complicated n depth post! Good for you! Let me do my best as I get most of what you are saying, just bare with me as I'm in a learning curve. (As I have always been in life, don't grow; ya go!) Everything in the last couple of posts were made 100% on the griddle. Pre-fight feeling out.

Tried to do hash browns n eggs yesterday morning n it wasn't nearly as good as my typical telflon pan hash browns n covered eggs. Let me play with it some more as my dome was just delivered.

Certainly with you on the heat thing. Hot is good in my opinion. Very high end Japanese cooking is done on hot rocks at your table. Eggs are the obvious exception!! Only time in my life scallops came out exactly like a high end restaurant. Only time. Really think the heat sink factor made a huge difference. Just an initial observation, but a 50+ lb chunk of hot metal has to matter.

Like I say, learning. But will certainly share wins/failures.

Denny
Old 09-08-2017, 12:21 AM   #365
SouthernTrendKill
Revolution Is My Name
Smoked Another SBC

For some reason I always love the rice not sure why. You did nail the rest of the meal! The large surface of hot metal does seem to make a difference when compared to a pan. Does not take long to get the griddle smoking hot.

Last edited by SouthernTrendKill; 09-08-2017 at 12:24 AM.
SouthernTrendKill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:02 AM   #366
Mista Bone
Trolling the Trolls
Smoked Another SBC

Denny, love the always learning aspect.

Hot and fast is how most cooks work, but the simple backyard folks (I is one) don't pay enough attention to get it right.

Get a temp reading of the grill as Waffle House, hotter than most think. BUT keeping that temp (recovery) during a rush in the hardest part. Drop 10 orders of double hash browns and the grill temp will drop. SOC's (short order cooks) as well as Japanese places know how to do this.
Mista Bone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:57 AM   #367
cepx111
Former RJ instigator
Smoked Another SBC

Oh boy, good stuff!, this thread sure has become an informative one!

I hate to even post up my boring chicken and dumplings but oh well.

Easy chicken & dumplings.

4 chicken thighs

2 cans cream of chicken, or one can of cream of chicken and one can of cream of whatever, I used CC and cream of celery.

1/2 stick butter

1 small white onion, finely diced

2 celery stalks, finely diced

1 can cheap biscuits

water

salt and pepper to taste

Put enough water into a stock pot to cover thighs well, add seasonings, half the chopped onion and half the chopped celery, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 1/2 hour to 45 mins or until meat is falling off the bone, remove chicken, discard skin and de-bone, reserving broth.
Return meat to pot, add onion, celery, butter and the two cans of cream of chicken or whatever and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes, you may need to add more water, I did.
Remove biscuits from can, flatten biscuits to about 1/8 inch thickness and cut into fourths, this is an important step because if you don't flatten them they will puff up too much, you want the dumplings thin and dense verses puffy doughy.
Drop biscuit dough into pot and simmer about 45 mins stirring occasionally or until dumplings become firm, serve immediately. ( note : ) The liquid will thicken up quite a bit as it cools, you may need or want to add more water to get the consistency you prefer, my wife and I kinda like ours less soupy than some people do, enjoy.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:04 AM   #368
cepx111
Former RJ instigator
Smoked Another SBC

I burnt some ribs last weekend over at our fishing cabin in Ark, they were still pretty damn good, our dog loved them.

I gotta quit drinking so much when I cook ribs.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #369
Hickoryhound
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepx111 View Post
Oh boy, good stuff!, this thread sure has become an informative one!

I hate to even post up my boring chicken and dumplings but oh well.

Easy chicken & dumplings.

4 chicken thighs

2 cans cream of chicken, or one can of cream of chicken and one can of cream of whatever, I used CC and cream of celery.

1/2 stick butter

1 small white onion, finely diced

2 celery stalks, finely diced

1 can cheap biscuits

water

salt and pepper to taste

Put enough water into a stock pot to cover thighs well, add seasonings, half the chopped onion and half the chopped celery, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 1/2 hour to 45 mins or until meat is falling off the bone, remove chicken, discard skin and de-bone, reserving broth.
Return meat to pot, add onion, celery, butter and the two cans of cream of chicken or whatever and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes, you may need to add more water, I did.
Remove biscuits from can, flatten biscuits to about 1/8 inch thickness and cut into fourths, this is an important step because if you don't flatten them they will puff up too much, you want the dumplings thin and dense verses puffy doughy.
Drop biscuit dough into pot and simmer about 45 mins stirring occasionally or until dumplings become firm, serve immediately. ( note : ) The liquid will thicken up quite a bit as it cools, you may need or want to add more water to get the consistency you prefer, my wife and I kinda like ours less soupy than some people do, enjoy.

Can biscuits are highly underrated........

Next time you do a pot of pintos or butter beans , pinch off some gnocchi size dumplings from the can of biscuits and toss in the pot of beans for about the last hour.

Fresh dough always better, can biscuit dough.....works like a MF too.

And the chix/dumplings look great......might be wierd, but we always throw a hand full of frozen green peas in at the end for the presentation and it tastes pretty good if you like them.

Last edited by Hickoryhound; 09-08-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Hickoryhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:30 AM   #370
cepx111
Former RJ instigator
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickoryhound View Post

Next time you do a pot of pintos or butter beans , pinch off some gnocchi size dumplings from the can of biscuits and toss in the pot of beans for about the last hour.

And the chix/dumplings look great......might be wierd, but we always throw a hand full of frozen green peas in at the end for the presentation and it tastes pretty good if you like them.
I would normally add sweet peas to chicken and dumplings but my wife hates them as much as I hate Brussel sprouts so I nixed them.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:44 AM   #371
Mista Bone
Trolling the Trolls
Smoked Another SBC

add peas to anything

Velveta Shells and cheese, nuke a bag of frozen peas to add in.

Diced taters, add in peas and make a flour/water cream sauce...

Just don't blend then into a pulp like those crazy brits do.

As a kid, I knew how to work the can opener. Stay home from school because of snow day or just sick? I'd pop open a can of peas or corn. Eat them cold or warm them up on the stove at age 7-8. Parents never had to force veggies on me to eat....the had the opposite problem...keeping me from eating them all!
Old 09-09-2017, 02:46 AM   #372
Mista Bone
Trolling the Trolls
Smoked Another SBC

Denny and Hickoryhound....fuck this diet thanks to ya'll!
Old 09-09-2017, 10:01 AM   #373
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickoryhound View Post

Chicken n Dumplings has always been one of my favorites and always add peas n carrots. Gotten into making my own stock which I usually reinforce somewhat with concentrated chicken base but doing your own stock adds a richness. Love the dish. As I keen saying, good food is............. good food. Sometimes the simple things are the best.

Denny
Old 09-09-2017, 10:07 AM   #374
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bone View Post
Denny, love the always learning aspect.

Hot and fast is how most cooks work, but the simple backyard folks (I is one) don't pay enough attention to get it right.

Get a temp reading of the grill as Waffle House, hotter than most think. BUT keeping that temp (recovery) during a rush in the hardest part. Drop 10 orders of double hash browns and the grill temp will drop. SOC's (short order cooks) as well as Japanese places know how to do this.
To do the hash browns got the griddle up to 480 using an infrared gun to check temps. About as hot as it gets using the two middle burners. My biggest issue with hash browns is patience and just letting them sit n crust before flipping. We will give it another shot n see if I can do better.

What griddle temp do you cook eggs? Basically winged it cooking them just away from the hot zone but didn't check the temp. It was a bit too hot and crusted the bottom some. Guess I need to go out and buy a dozen eggs just to play with. Thinking a good starting point might be 250 degrees, throw down a gob of butter and make changes accordingly.

Denny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2017, 10:22 AM   #375
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTrendKill View Post
For some reason I always love the rice not sure why. You did nail the rest of the meal! The large surface of hot metal does seem to make a difference when compared to a pan. Does not take long to get the griddle smoking hot.
If you can find an Asian market, buy rice there. It is a smaller grain and a little sticky once cooked. If you don't have a rice steamer, get one. Huge difference in consistency vs trying to make it in a pan. Done it where it came out good in a pan, done it where it was horrible in a pan. A rice steamer will nail it perfect every time. I have a dedicated Asian style rice steamer that I never use, my favorite is an old fashion Rival steamer. On my second one and probably used one for the last 25 years. Problem is they don't make them anymore. Go on ebay and people are asking ridiculous prices for them (like $175). Guessing I'm not the only one addicted to one as brand new they were in the $25-30 range.

On a side note, working on my third rebooking going to Hilton Head. This time due to the hurricane but American Airlines is a genuine PAI. Had to pay $200.00 change fee the first time, this time my flight was cancelled and they wanted to force me to travel on a date they wanted to travel giving me a hard time. Finally got a refund and they shortchanged me by about $20.00. What a genuine PAI to deal with. Always a card up their sleeve. Will screw with them on Monday as I burned out dealing with them.

Denny