Intercooler pump flow test data - Page 5 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Turbo Charged - Precision Turbo & Engine

Old 08-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #61
Hazmat
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Intercooler pump flow test data

Time for a bump.......Anyone with results of using the LPE Pump on a street car please post up your results.
Hazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #62
badblacklx
Burnout box

Any iat data with two different pumps yet?
badblacklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #63
sam92lx
Pre-Staged

I'm fighting this same issue, have the rule 1100 pump on my street/strip car. With tank packed with ice the IATs are going from 84* to 172* in a 1/4.
sam92lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #64
dan schoneck
Smoked Another SBC

I've already seen 15-20 degree inlets drops on Dyno alone. These pumps are no joke!!

My inlet temps now are now less then 100 degrees on Dyno with a f1x procharger

Also Wanted 2005-2006 Ford GT Supercar parts Buy sell Trade

Last edited by dan schoneck; 10-13-2013 at 10:19 PM.
dan schoneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #65
63T-Bolt
Smoked another BBC

Were any of these pumps tested at 16-17 volt range like what most race cars now currently use? Redoing our intercooler system and want to plan things out accordingly.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #66
PremierJosh
Pullin gears

I'm looking at replacing my jabsco pump to a lingenfelter modified Stewart EMP pump. I'm only running -10 lines now but would upgrade to -12 in most of the system except the intercooler brick itself. I can enlarge the heat exchanger inlet and outlet along with the ice tank. My system has about 9' on line. Does anyone have a idea of the pressure the pump sees in a small system? Also does the EMP pump come with a wiring harness?

[email protected]
11 ctsv - [email protected]
PremierJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #67
Jason Haines @ LPE
Burnout box

Yes, we went back and tested some of the pumps at higher voltage. The conventional brush type motor pumps respond to the increased voltage and flow more fluid since the pump is now turning faster. On the pumps that drop off quickly with outlet pressure, this doesn't result in a significant flow increase since the pressure increases, reducing the flow. So increasing the voltage generally makes a gain in the zero pressure (open to atmosphere) flow but when it really has to pump into a restriction, the gains drop off.

On the pumps with external or built in controllers (primarily the DC brushless pumps), increasing the voltage doesn't do as much and in several cases didn't do anything at all. That is because on these pumps the controller is often controlling to a target pump speed and/or maximum current draw. Increasing the voltage in these applications doesn't increase pump output if you are already at the maximum current capacity and/or pump speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63T-Bolt View Post
Were any of these pumps tested at 16-17 volt range like what most race cars now currently use? Redoing our intercooler system and want to plan things out accordingly.
260-724-2552
Jason Haines @ LPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #68
68Bird
Smoked Another SBC

Did you guys at LPE ever test and update your graph with the 3700 Rule pump? Interested how it compares to the Steward pump. Thanks.
68Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #69
Jason Haines @ LPE
Burnout box

I would mount the EMP pump as close to your ice tank as possible and run 1" hose from the tank to the pump. Be careful with the inner diameter on AN fittings and all your fittings, especially on the inlet to the pump side. Not all fittings are the same in inner diameter even though they appear to be the same from an external dimension and connect to each other. Also, each fitting is a much bigger restriction than the hose it connects to because the fittings have to be smaller in inner diameter than the hose. Because of this, try to minimize the number of fittings you use and try not to use fittings with bends in them if you don't have to (the entire bend is usually at the smallest inner diameter dimension).

AN fittings and hose sizes:
-10 is 5/8" hose
-12 is 3/4" hose
-16 is 1" hose

A -12 AN fitting is actually around 0.58" inner diameter, so less than 3/4" hose by a significant amount.

A -16 AN fitting is actually around 0.69" inner diameter.

Upgrading to -12 fittings in most of the system would help in reducing restriction, even if the hose size stayed the same.

If you want to stick with AN fittings for the lines, you need to go to -16 on the inlet side (between the tank and the pump). The other option would be to go to NPT or similar hose type fittings.

In terms of pressure, it depends on the components in your system and the pump output. For the same system design, the more flow you have, the more pressure you have.

If you put a pressure gauge on the pump outlet you will be able to see what the actual system pressure is (ignoring inlet restriction). A cheap hardware/home improvement home/garden hose type water pressure gauge can be found for $10 to $25 and gives a good idea of what the system pressure is (just put a t-fitting in the outlet).

I assume you have an ice tank and no intercooler radiator. I would estimate you have somewhere around 3 to 6 psi of differential pressure with the Jabsco pump. In the same system you would probably have 15 to 20 psi of differential pressure with the high output (25 amp) EMP pump.

Yes, the EMP pump comes with a wiring harness. It looks like this (just noticed we don't have it in the picture of the product on our web site, I will see if we can get that added to the product images as well):

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierJosh View Post
I'm looking at replacing my jabsco pump to a lingenfelter modified Stewart EMP pump. I'm only running -10 lines now but would upgrade to -12 in most of the system except the intercooler brick itself. I can enlarge the heat exchanger inlet and outlet along with the ice tank. My system has about 9' on line. Does anyone have a idea of the pressure the pump sees in a small system? Also does the EMP pump come with a wiring harness?
260-724-2552
Old 11-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #70
Jason Haines @ LPE
Burnout box

Haven't tested that pump yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Bird View Post
Did you guys at LPE ever test and update your graph with the 3700 Rule pump? Interested how it compares to the Steward pump. Thanks.
260-724-2552
Old 11-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #71
dizuster
Pullin gears

Any flow restriction results from the various intercoolers you mentioned checking earlier in the thread?
dizuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #72
Drockws6
Launchin

LPE,

I have the emp pump in stock form. Can i buy the wiring pigtail from you guys?
Old 11-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #73
jdpepper
Spooled up

Have you guys tested the Stewart E389A? How do you think it compares to the pumps you've tested?
jdpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:01 AM   #74
Jason Haines @ LPE
Burnout box

Not sure how I missed this question. Sorry for the slow response. I am sure you have figured this out yourself by now but in case anyone else needs it, yes we sell the pigtail harness as a service part.

You can also buy just the connectors from a couple sources. I think the connectors are described in the instruction manual on our web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drockws6 View Post
LPE,

I have the emp pump in stock form. Can i buy the wiring pigtail from you guys?
260-724-2552
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 01:23 AM   #75
Jason Haines @ LPE
Burnout box

Default Voltage impact

We have done more pump testing and some of this testing should answer a few of the questions that a couple people have asked.

1st on the voltage vs flow question - on DC brushless pumps with the built in controllers that usually are designed to limit pump RPM and/or pump current, we normally see little to no gain in flow. On the brush type pumps we are seeing a gain. But in actual use don't expect to see the same gain you would in a fuel pump application because here you are not pressure regulated like you are in a fuel system. Any increase in coolant flow also results in an increase in pressure in a cooling system which in turn reduces the pump flow. So you can't just look at this graph and make a vertical line from the 13.5 volt graph point to the 17 volt point and think that will be you new flow. For example, at 4 psi the higher voltage pump may indeed flow 8 gpm instead of 5 gpm but due to the increased flow you may now be at 6 psi of pressure and then you would only be at 6.6 gpm. This is because you will have more pressure so your new flow will be further down the new graph. Given the cost of voltage boosting one of these pumps it would very likely be cheaper to just upgrade to a higher flowing pump.

Here is the graph of pump flow at 13.5 volts vs 17 volts on the common Bosch 0392-022-002 pump. This is the stock pump in: the 2009-2014 CTS-V; many other OEM applications; and used in most Magnuson, Edelbrock, Whipple and other aftermarket supercharger systems.

260-724-2552