Intercooler pump flow test data - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Turbo Charged - Precision Turbo & Engine

Old 04-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Jason Haines @ LPE
Burnout box

Default Intercooler pump flow test data

I thought some of this data might be of interest to the yellowbullet racing community.

Here are some of the results of recent electric intercooler pump testing performed at Lingenfelter Performance Engineering.

We have performed this type of testing before on several of these pumps but, since we recently upgraded our coolant flow measurement equipment to a much higher level of flow meter that allows us to very accurately measure flow over a very wide range of flows with very little to no impact on the system restriction, we felt this was a good time to perform this testing again and to do so on an expanded range of pumps and conditions.

For this testing we tested the pumps in two primary ways:
  • fixed known restriction using a ZL1 intercooler (from inside the supercharger assembly) and intercooler radiator with OEM diameter coolant hoses (3/4")
  • variable orifice restriction after the pump so that we could simulate any level of restriction that the pump might encounter (depending on the installed application)
We tested several different intercooler pumps including:
  • stock OEM ZL1 intercooler pump (this is also the GMPP LSA and LS9 crate engine pump)
  • stock OEM Cadillac CTSV/Bosch PCA 1150LPH intercooler pump
  • stock OEM ZR1 intercooler pump
  • VariMax 410110 DC brushless intercooler pump
  • a common aftermarket 20GPM inline electric pump
  • a common aftermarket 55GPM inline electric pump
  • Stewart-EMP E2512A DC brushless intercooler pump
  • Stewart-EMP E2512A pump reprogrammed to raise the current/pump RPM limit (revised pump part # 1030002107 when programmed with this software)
We tested a few other pumps as well but the above pumps are the primary ones we focused on.

During the testing some of the variables logged by our data acquisition equipment included:
  • coolant flow
  • outlet pressure
  • inlet pressure (positive or negative)
  • differential pressure across the pump
  • pump voltage
  • pump current
  • coolant temperature
All tests were repeated multiple times (at least three times), the data checked to make sure we had test to test repeatability and then the results were averaged to produce the data described below.

The Bosch 1150 LPH PCA pump continues to be the baseline standard pump used in many liquid to air intercooler systems in both OEM and aftermarket applications. In the ZL1 system it flowed 3.6 gallons per minute (GPM). This is the same pump used in the 2009-2013 Cadillac CTSV, Cadillac STSV, Cadillac XLRV, 1999-2004 Ford Lightning, Fort GT500 and many other OEM applications. It is also the pump used in Magnuson, Edelbrock, Whipple and many other aftermarket supercharger kits. It is fairly compact, very reliable and has low current draw. It performs fairly well against an outlet restriction but doesn't flow as well as some of the newer, higher output pumps that are available. This same pump has existed for well over 10 years without any major design changes.

As expected from our previous testing, the ZL1 pump flowed more than the Bosch pump (4.8 GPM vs 3.6 GPM) and the VariMax pump (PN TAFX410110) flowed the same as the ZL1 pump when tested in the stock ZL1 intercooler and intercooler radiator circuit. The Varimax pump is the pump that is in our CTSV pump upgrade kit (part # L330030709) that brings the CTSV up to the same pump flow specification as the ZL1. At 3.6 GPM, the Bosch pump flowed 25% less than the ZL1 and the VariMax pumps.

Also as expected, the ZR1 pump performed very well. It flowed 5.7 gpm, 19% more than the stock ZL1 pump. For its size and current draw the ZR1 pump is a very impressive pump as it is no bigger than the ZL1 pump yet flows more than pumps more than twice its size and does so with 3/4" hose fittings in and out. On the other hand it is a fairly expensive pump, with an MSRP of over $1000 and "street price" of not much under that.

The Stewart-EMP E2512A intercooler pump also performed well, matching the ZR1 pump flow when installed in the ZL1 circuit despite the fact that the inlet hose was 3/4", not the recommended 1" inlet. When we reprogrammed the Stewart-EMP pump to raise the internal pump speed and current limit, the flow was significantly increased to 7.7 gpm. That is 60% more than the ZL1 stock pump. This pump performs very well at high pressure drops but the current draw does increase significantly when the pressure across the pump is high (when the restriction is high) so you need to make sure you account for that in your wiring. The Stewart-EMP pump is a pump we have been using for several years in high horsepower supercharged and turbocharged vehicle applications including our 1250RWHP Camaro SS, our white turbo drag Camaro, and numerous 1000-1600+ HP customer builds.

The 20GPM and 55GPM pumps we tested are pumps that are commonly being used and sold as intercooler pumps so we felt we needed to test how these performed compared to the above pumps that we use on a fairly regular basis. When tested with very little restriction these pumps flowed fairly well and used little electrical current to do so. Once the restriction started to increase the flow of these pumps dropped significantly though. Both pumps, when installed in a stock ZL1 intercooler system, flowed less than the stock ZL1 pump and not much more than the Bosch pump. At higher differential pressures (outlet restrictions) even the Bosch pump flowed more as can be seen by the graph of pump flow vs differential pressure. In 2002 when we were developing and testing a turbo Ecotec engine in the NHRA Sport Compact series we had found similar results. The billet housing electric pump that we had purchased and installed in the vehicle that was supposed to be a high flow pump actually flowed less than the Bosch production pump we were using in the low boost, 500 HP supercharged customer street cars at the time. As we found out then, many pumps being sold in the marketplace are being flow rated with no pump restriction and that many of these pumps did not flow nearly as well when tested in an as installed configuration.

Here are the graphs of the test data described above:

And here is a picture of the pumps mentioned above (to give you an idea of the size etc.):

Hope this is of interest.
260-724-2552

Last edited by Jason Haines @ LPE; 04-12-2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: typo
Jason Haines @ LPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Intercooler pump flow test data

Killer info Jason! Did you record any info on amps used?

Kurt

Official car junky!
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
Honk if parts fall off
Drag Week Survivor
Smoked Another SBC

How about the Rule pumps commonly used in an Air to Water ice tank?
Honk if parts fall off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
quick-silver
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honk if parts fall off View Post
How about the Rule pumps commonly used in an Air to Water ice tank?

A rule 2000 was tested as well. It did pretty well at lower restrictions. Ill see if jason can post the flow data
quick-silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
Honk if parts fall off
Drag Week Survivor
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick-silver View Post
A rule 2000 was tested as well. It did pretty well at lower restrictions. Ill see if jason can post the flow data
Thanks, I'd be interested to know. Of course the 2000 and 3700 is usually used with very large lines.

That Stewart pump looks alot like a BMW engine water pump.
Honk if parts fall off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #6
Jason Haines @ LPE
Burnout box

Kurt,

We have had problems with getting noise in the data when we log current across the shunts so we didn't log current draw. We did record it manually at given pressures so I will find that data and post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
Killer info Jason! Did you record any info on amps used?

Kurt
260-724-2552
Old 04-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
Jason Haines @ LPE
Burnout box

I will post Rule 2000 data next week.
260-724-2552
Old 04-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
Jason Haines @ LPE
Burnout box

The Stewart-EMP pump is actually based off of the Ford GT intercooler pump.

I believe Pierburg makes the BMW engine pump you are probably thinking of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honk if parts fall off View Post
Thanks, I'd be interested to know. Of course the 2000 and 3700 is usually used with very large lines.

That Stewart pump looks alot like a BMW engine water pump.
260-724-2552
Old 04-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #9
onfire
Pullin gears

Jason, killer test. My Rule pump curve lookes like the 55gpm pump blue line curve in your test...dropped to 12gpm at 5 psi...any pressure kills their flow. Replaced it with a Stewart-EMP...more than doubled the flow and the amps dropped to 10amps total under load. IC efficiency picked up as well. Thanks for sharing.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Hazmat
Smoked another BBC

Thanks for sharing. Well documented.

This confirms some of my real world experiences & suspicions on some past & current IC set ups.

Used the same 55gpm pump listed above on a rear mount engine coolant system on my drag car. The return flow was ridiculous, could have pissed a stronger flow. A competitors 30GPM pump out performed it. Didn't get a chance to test a Rule submersible in this configuration. I think it would have done well. It's done great on the IC-tranny cooler set up.

I would love to see all of the pump impellers exposed to compare designs & blades.

Last edited by Hazmat; 04-13-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Hazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
JFontaine
Smoked Another SBC

It would be interesting to see the info with a Rule 3700 IN TANK pump.

In-line 3700 vs in-tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwlF2SnO-KY
JFontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
TurboII
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

I assume the Bosch pump is the cheapest of pumps tested. That being said and assuming the amp draw was among the lowest as well, would you consider testing two of the Bosch pumps in series to see how well it handles system restriction using two stages. I used to install alot of multistage industrial pumps as well as using low press high volume pumps to supercharge the suction pressure to high pressure pumps making over 1000psig. Its just a thought, if the amp draw is too high to be practical then its probably not worth it but the test results would be interesting. Thanks for posting all the info.
TurboII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #13
CurtisEmery
Pre-Staged

Is the 55gpm pump a meziere?
Forced Inductions
Pressurized Solutions
Socal Diesel
Profab Performance
Ridge Runner Diesel
DNE Performance
Inferno Diesel
CurtisEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
TurboII
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

I don't think they want to call names out which is admirable but yes and the 20gpm too. Just a guess from the pic. Wink, wink.
TurboII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
dan schoneck
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE View Post
The Stewart-EMP pump is actually based off of the Ford GT intercooler pump.

I believe Pierburg makes the BMW engine pump you are probably thinking of.
I will be ditching my 55gpm meziere on my ford gt Supercar for the emp unit. My original pump was bad from accident so I put a meziere in it but wow after your data.... The factory ford gt pump is badass wish you would of tested it and if I send one to you will you test it ???

Thanks for the info
Dan

Also Wanted 2005-2006 Ford GT Supercar parts Buy sell Trade

dan schoneck is offline   Reply With Quote