What gear ratio for boost? - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Rearends and Differentials - Mark Williams Enterprises

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 01:45 PM   #1
jakes84k10
Junior Member
Pre-Staged
 
jakes84k10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mount Holly, NC
Posts: 98
Default What gear ratio for boost?

Me and one of my best buddies are turbo ls swapping his 76 c10. Combo will be a sbe 5.3, vsracing billet 7875, 4l80e with an hd2. He currently has a factory 12 bolt rear thats been recently rebuilt and had 3.73s installed. will be ran on a messily 5lbs or so until he gets used to power(going to be both of ours first 400+ whp vehcile), and then tuned up to a max of around 15 or so hoping to make around 600 to the tire. Hows the 3.73s going to act? will be a strict street truck and maybe see the local track a couple times a year.
__________________
Stock 07 Mustang GT auto/vert - daily driven
84 Chevy k10, built 700r4, 383 stroker, 1 3/4 headers, dual 3in exhaust(soon), work in progress
93 Wrangler, 4.0, 5 in lift, 33s, 8.8 swap, 4.10s, locked front and rear
jakes84k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #2
Topfun99
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
Topfun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Temporarily Away, Check Back Later For Updates
Posts: 16,266
Default Re: What gear ratio for boost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes84k10 View Post
Me and one of my best buddies are turbo ls swapping his 76 c10. Combo will be a sbe 5.3, vsracing billet 7875, 4l80e with an hd2. He currently has a factory 12 bolt rear thats been recently rebuilt and had 3.73s installed. will be ran on a messily 5lbs or so until he gets used to power(going to be both of ours first 400+ whp vehcile), and then tuned up to a max of around 15 or so hoping to make around 600 to the tire. Hows the 3.73s going to act? will be a strict street truck and maybe see the local track a couple times a year.
How much rpm and how tall a tire? At lower boost levels he might be able to get away with the 3.73 gears. I run a 3.50 with 30" tires and go thru the traps right at 7000 rpm - 168 mph.
__________________
Try not to take everything so literally. Just because someone suggests it's time to deal with the Elephant in the room doesn't mean you should break out the peanuts.

Thanks to:

HALTECH (Elite 2500 plus REM)
TRZ MOTORSPORTS
REAL STREET PERFORMANCE
FB PERFORMANCE
PTC
M/T Tires
Kris Starnes Racing

EMAIL - [email protected]
Topfun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:49 PM   #3
jakes84k10
Junior Member
Pre-Staged
 
jakes84k10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mount Holly, NC
Posts: 98
Default Re: What gear ratio for boost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topfun99 View Post
How much rpm and how tall a tire? At lower boost levels he might be able to get away with the 3.73 gears. I run a 3.50 with 30" tires and go thru the traps right at 7000 rpm - 168 mph.
rev limiter will be set around 7000-7200 as its a stock bottom end with arp2000 bolts. itll be a 30inch radial. will start with about 5-8lbs(somewhere in the 475hp range) and then our "high" boost ill be around 15 or 16 making around 600, or atleast thats the goal. were limited to pump 93 here.
__________________
Stock 07 Mustang GT auto/vert - daily driven
84 Chevy k10, built 700r4, 383 stroker, 1 3/4 headers, dual 3in exhaust(soon), work in progress
93 Wrangler, 4.0, 5 in lift, 33s, 8.8 swap, 4.10s, locked front and rear
jakes84k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:58 AM   #4
Topfun99
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
Topfun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Temporarily Away, Check Back Later For Updates
Posts: 16,266
Default Re: What gear ratio for boost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes84k10 View Post
rev limiter will be set around 7000-7200 as its a stock bottom end with arp2000 bolts. itll be a 30inch radial. will start with about 5-8lbs(somewhere in the 475hp range) and then our "high" boost ill be around 15 or 16 making around 600, or atleast thats the goal. were limited to pump 93 here.
You won't run out of RPM unless you have such a lightweight car that it goes over 160mph.
__________________
Try not to take everything so literally. Just because someone suggests it's time to deal with the Elephant in the room doesn't mean you should break out the peanuts.

Thanks to:

HALTECH (Elite 2500 plus REM)
TRZ MOTORSPORTS
REAL STREET PERFORMANCE
FB PERFORMANCE
PTC
M/T Tires
Kris Starnes Racing

EMAIL - [email protected]
Topfun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:37 AM   #5
Bad Medicine Racing
Member
Pullin gears
 
Bad Medicine Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 599
Default Re: What gear ratio for boost?

A 4500lb truck with 30" tire will probably need at least a 3.73. I would leave it in there a go with it.
__________________
5 second 3700lb G body, stock long block 4.8 with a LJMS cam and some boost.
Bad Medicine Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #6
Briansshop
Senior Member
Smoked another BBC
 
Briansshop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: MD,the East Coast CA
Posts: 1,885
Default Re: What gear ratio for boost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Medicine Racing View Post
A 4500lb truck with 30" tire will probably need at least a 3.73. I would leave it in there a go with it.

Agreed. Mine is 4280lbs with me in it,30" tire,3.73s.
__________________
SBE 351W 10.26/134, 4280lbs
Briansshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 0%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Yellow Bullet LLC
 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.