slicks to radials what neccesary changes. - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Chassis and Suspension

Old 10-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #1
Bad00SS
Smoked another BBC

Default slicks to radials what neccesary changes.

I'm going to be doing some prepped track racing this next season and will be ordering the 28x10.5 pro bracket radial. The car is usually street raced and no prep raced on 28x10.5 hoosier slicks. I know very little about radials. I will have 2 sets of wheels now and will need to swap them around depending on the event. Car is still a TQ arm car and has 13 hole adjustable lower brackets on the rearend. everything is adjustable, double adjustable shocks on all 4. car high 1.2x 60's right now and I'm looking for low 1.2x 60ft or teens if possible. car runs 5's to the 1/8. What are the immediate changes that need to be done before the first radial test hit? more control arm angle I was told? shocks will like a different setting I know. What are your thoughts? tire pressure? shock settings? control arm angles?

346 cubic inches of straight crawlin junk
Bad00SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 10:19 PM   #2
sscamaro2485
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: slicks to radials what neccesary changes.

My car is a ladder bar car. When I switched from bias to radial I did not have to change my set up at all. Started off with the same air pressure and the car picked up 0.13. Then I worked with the pressure to fine tune it. Never went back to Bias after that. I run Hoosier but have heard the pro bracket radial is a good tire.
sscamaro2485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
Bad00SS
Smoked another BBC

Thought this forum was all about the radials. I'm surprised no other response.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:52 PM   #4
mufflerguy
Smoked Another SBC

I can tell you what I had to change on mine, but your's being a torque arm car, I'm not sure the changes are the same. I switched to da shocks all around. Tightening the extension up front to keep the front wheels on the ground, and tightening the compression on the rear, while loosening the extension to let it separate. I also dropped the upper 4 link bar one hole on the chassis side to hit the tire a little harder. The big change was to change where I had the rear shock set, so that I had almost the full extension stroke of the rear shocks available. That last change was the big one that really made the car work. If the rear is trying to separate, but you don't have enough extension available before the shocks top out, you will knock the tire off. The car is now leaving on 1.5#'s more boost than it did with the slicks, and the 60's have dropped from 1.29 to 1.25. The car is definitely quicker, and much more stable with the 275's over the 10.5W's. Not sure about your PBR's but my 275's worked best for me at 18psi.

Last edited by mufflerguy; 10-14-2019 at 06:54 PM.
mufflerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:32 PM   #5
Launch
Banksters Paradise
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad00SS View Post
Thought this forum was all about the radials. I'm surprised no other response.
Search Kenny's posts over on ls1tech. (the guy with the 2k+HP black turbo 4th gen) . I recall he gave someone some very good and detailed info a few months back on how to do exactly what you asking.
Launch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:27 AM   #6
SuperStockAMX
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufflerguy View Post
I can tell you what I had to change on mine, but your's being a torque arm car, I'm not sure the changes are the same. I switched to da shocks all around. Tightening the extension up front to keep the front wheels on the ground, and tightening the compression on the rear, while loosening the extension to let it separate. I also dropped the upper 4 link bar one hole on the chassis side to hit the tire a little harder. The big change was to change where I had the rear shock set, so that I had almost the full extension stroke of the rear shocks available. That last change was the big one that really made the car work. If the rear is trying to separate, but you don't have enough extension available before the shocks top out, you will knock the tire off. The car is now leaving on 1.5#'s more boost than it did with the slicks, and the 60's have dropped from 1.29 to 1.25. The car is definitely quicker, and much more stable with the 275's over the 10.5W's. Not sure about your PBR's but my 275's worked best for me at 18psi.
So with the bias slicks the rear shock was topping out? If so, it would be interesting to see what the bias slicks would do with the shock travel being adequate.
Redline Racing Cams
4300 Autolite
SuperStockAMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:35 AM   #7
mufflerguy
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStockAMX View Post
So with the bias slicks the rear shock was topping out? If so, it would be interesting to see what the bias slicks would do with the shock travel being adequate.
No. With a bias slick, I take bite out (upper bar) and the shock setting are almost opposite. I want the car to squat the rear, and lift the front end (somewhat) on the slicks, as well as the physical positioning of the rear shocks is different, and we keep the front end down, and have the rear separating with the radials.

10.5W's

275's

Last edited by mufflerguy; 10-15-2019 at 06:39 AM.
mufflerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:01 AM   #8
thatmichael
Spooled up

Nice ride mufflerguy!!!
thatmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #9
mufflerguy
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatmichael View Post
Nice ride mufflerguy!!!
Thank you sir.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #10
Bad00SS
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch View Post
Search Kenny's posts over on ls1tech. (the guy with the 2k+HP black turbo 4th gen) . I recall he gave someone some very good and detailed info a few months back on how to do exactly what you asking.
sent him a message. Thanks!

Old 10-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #11
Bad00SS
Smoked another BBC

Anyone know anything about figuring instant center and anti squat for TQ arm cars?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #12
tblentrprz
Spooled up

Lots of good info. https://www.google.com/search?q=inst...hrome&ie=UTF-8
tblentrprz is offline   Reply With Quote