Aerodynamics/feeding intercooler - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Auto Body and Paint

Old 08-18-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
Kris396
Spooled up

Default Aerodynamics/feeding intercooler

Long shot but do we have any aerodynamics gurus here, because I sure as hell ain't one LOL

I'm building my street car, a 96 Impala SS with an overdriven/ported LSA supercharger on top of an LSX B15 crate engine.

for my heat exchanger placement I didn't want to obstruct the AC condenser/Radiator stack fully and I found I could get more surface area by mounting it behind where the bumper support sits now (going to build a new bumper support that doesn't obstruct the HX).

This would place the HX completely behind the bumper cover though. Simple people call for simple solutions, so my plan was just to cut a hole in the bumper cover like what you see in the car in this link

https://www.procharger.com/gallery/1...et-impala-ss-0

at slow speeds, I'm sure this will allow air to flow freely into the HX. What i'm worried about is what will happen at high speeds?

will air just pass over that hole and continue into the grille, making it completely useless?

will this work against the low pressure area that the air dam creates behind the rad support and either hinder air flow to the radiator or cause reversion?

will this screw up the aerodynamics of the car completely and cause me to veer off into the sky towards Kansas someplace during a standing mile event, if I ever should partake in one?

I could use some advice here. Not looking to race salt flats here but just want to make this work without causing too much of an issue, and my knowledge of aerodynamics is limited to knowing which way a fart will blow in the wind.
Kris396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 12:21 AM   #2
Wabash Cannonball
The Liquor Makes Me Think
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Aerodynamics/feeding intercooler

You could use a splitter to make a high pressure zone. but also need a way to vent the under hood area. You need the pressure differential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #3
Kris396
Spooled up

Default Re: Aerodynamics/feeding intercooler

A friend of mine who does some race car body work told me about the hood vents saying that heat extractors would be a good idea to allow air to flow in and out of the engine bay, reducing lift.

Doing some rudimentary reading on aerodynamics, I see how the splitter would work but this is one thing I am struggling to understand with this car.

This car already has an air damn that almost acts in the way a splitter would, only the air dam is placed just at the front of the radiator support. Unlike most newer cars, the area between the front bumper cover and radiator support is open. Supposedly the air dam works to create a low pressure area behind it (behind the radiator) and this forces air UNDER the car to flow up into the radiator through that open area between the front bumper cover and air damn.

So I guess you could say the car is a bottom feeder when it comes to getting air into the radiator.

Now I'm not sure how the hole in the bumper would affect this. If I cut a hole in the bumper cover to feed the HX, that would probably reduce air flow going under the bumper which would mean less air flow going under the front end hitting the air dam, therefore less air being fed into the radiator from the bottom.

Now maybe the hole in the bumper would make the whole bottom feeder design a moot point anyway, as the air going through that hole and into the HX would also be flowing through the HX and to the radiator?

And what part does the grille play in all this? Until I read about the function of the air dam, I figured the grill had been the cars primary way to force air into the radiator but now it seems like that's not the case, and most air is fed from the bottom.

Again, I know squat about aerodynamics, but it seems like the only conclusion I could come to so far is that hood vents would probably benefit regardless of how air is fed to the radiator, as I can't see any good reason to have a high pressure area under the hood.
Kris396 is offline   Reply With Quote