Heritage Gas: Period Correct Gas Class Racing - Page 5 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Hot Rod - Nostalgia - Gasser

Hot Rod - Nostalgia - Gasser Talk about Hot Rod/Nostalgia/Gassers. Trash talk is allowed. Use common sense when posting..

Old 07-25-2017, 01:45 AM   #61
Geerbangr
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Heritage Gas: Period Correct Gas Class Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by curator View Post
Thanks! I think we are closer to the same page than I thought! We are not keeping any body with a gasser from running, just putting them in a class that fits their interpretation of what a gasser is. We also are not telling anybody how to build their car. Just segregating them to like builds if you will. If you were to read the 1965 Rule book, Plastic parts are allowed, but not plastic bodies, therefore, Heritage Gas is the same, Steel cars only!
Just so you understand I'm not trolling this thread I have an all steel gasser in the build right now. I understand the 65 rule book very well. I started my build 3 years ago in effort to run with the rest of the gasser gang. Unfortunetly a year or so into the build I quickly learned that every 3st person I ran across pertaining to a gasser had their very own ideas. So after loosing enthusiasm over so much boo hooing I said Phuck it I'll build my car to suit me on the streets.

I'm from Ohio as well and would like to see something come to fruition with your attempt. After all, Ohio is where all the fast gassers were from. However I feel any attempt at a more stringent set of rules will further decay the number of cars in a class. One thing you can't do is knock a fella for trying. I wish you all the luck with your efforts and maybe we'll cross paths at a track someday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2017, 01:50 AM   #62
SpeedSceneLiveTV
Smoked another BBC

I think this is a great idea. If you want to go period correct, run with them. If you don't, lots of nostalgia index classes to run in like Geezer Gassers, NDRL, and others.

I don't care what you say, any kind of heads up racing will be very expensive.
But if this class is just a part of the days racing activities that makes it good. Run with this group, or run with a more affordable index class.

The only problem is the racers continuing to split up into little groups. Lots of other groups are already doing this, (perhaps with slight differences), like Quan Stout and the double AA gassers.

Wouldn't it be much more helpful and better for drag racing to try to bring all these groups together so that members of each group could race against each other rather than starting another class?
SpeedSceneLiveTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:37 AM   #63
Geerbangr
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedSceneLiveTV View Post
I think this is a great idea. If you want to go period correct, run with them. If you don't, lots of nostalgia index classes to run in like Geezer Gassers, NDRL, and others.

But if this class is just a part of the days racing activities that makes it good. Run with this group, or run with a more affordable index class.

The only problem is the racers continuing to split up into little groups. Lots of other groups are already doing this, (perhaps with slight differences), like Quan Stout and the double AA gassers.

Wouldn't it be much more helpful and better for drag racing to try to bring all these groups together so that members of each group could race against each other rather than starting another class?

This has been mentioned 48 times in this thread. That's the problem with the gasser gang, everyone has their own idea. And if you show up to play ball on their court and outrun them all you'll be banned from their group. Look what Stott did to Gene Fulton with the old sbc Willys. The biggest turnoff to the gasser class is the amount of crybabies involved.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:28 AM   #64
BFLY
Regulator
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life's a Drag View Post
Instead on making wise cracks, why not contribute to the cause.

It's guys that will run in this class that could use all those old slicks you have.
Those old slicks are for sale!! As far as my post I am really thinking about it!!
BFLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #65
Life's a Drag
Same User Name since 2013
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
I have said this to many of those groups over the years and was told to my face, it would never happen.

There are various reasons but can be summed up to egos, attitudes politics and people that have their own version of what they perceive a "Gasser" is based on what they "saw" when they were younger.

What Don (the OP) is attempting is what I have said for years. Pick a cut-off year, use that year's rule book, add the current safety rule and that makes up the rules for the class.... End of story.

Don just happens to take it one step further with this "date code" thing that I strongly believe will hurt his efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geerbangr View Post
This has been mentioned 48 times in this thread. That's the problem with the gasser gang, everyone has their own idea. And if you show up to play ball on their court and outrun them all you'll be banned from their group. Look what Stott did to Gene Fulton with the old sbc Willys. The biggest turnoff to the gasser class is the amount of crybabies involved.
Let's not forget Jim Oddy getting quietly booted from the Nostalgia AA Gassers by a rule change because his period correct Gasser (Junkyard Dog) was winning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Chevy II View Post
Ask Lanigan, he would have felt Grouchos nuts getting cold...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtruckdrivah View Post
I am bitch made, and run my mouth writing checks my ass can't cash.

Quit wasting my time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Mikho View Post
I'd rather drive a Ford!!!!
Life's a Drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:47 AM   #66
1970ls
Aviation Section
Smoked Another SBC

I can't play, it is too rich for me, but if my situation changed I would be there in a heartbeat with a 57',58' 392, a hydro, and an old Willys body! That would be so much fun and I think it is a class where it would police itself, would be a bunch of mostly older guys and their families out having fun just like it was back in the day with some racing thrown in! Dave

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Part of the Tribe!
1970ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:52 PM   #67
SpeedSceneLiveTV
Smoked another BBC

"That would be so much fun and I think it is a class where it would police itself, would be a bunch of mostly older guys and their families out having fun just like it was back in the day with some racing thrown in!"

That is already what the gasser index classes at many nostalgia races are today. Races put on by NDRL, Geezer Gassers, and even the NHRA nostalgia heritage series.
Show up, run your car, have a BBQ, enjoy a cold frosty beverage at the end of the day, and enjoy racing with great people.
SpeedSceneLiveTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:27 AM   #68
curator
Pre-Staged

Garage

Quote:
Just so you understand I'm not trolling this thread I have an all steel gasser in the build right now. I understand the 65 rule book very well. I started my build 3 years ago in effort to run with the rest of the gasser gang. Unfortunetly a year or so into the build I quickly learned that every 3st person I ran across pertaining to a gasser had their very own ideas. So after loosing enthusiasm over so much boo hooing I said Phuck it I'll build my car to suit me on the streets.

I'm from Ohio as well and would like to see something come to fruition with your attempt. After all, Ohio is where all the fast gassers were from. However I feel any attempt at a more stringent set of rules will further decay the number of cars in a class. One thing you can't do is knock a fella for trying. I wish you all the luck with your efforts and maybe we'll cross paths at a track someday.
I hope we do! It is too bad you lost enthusiasm over some self serving individuals that run groups and try to re-write history. I got alot of shit when I separated the nose high gassers from the low to the ground cars, and removed convertible sports cars from the gas classes! Come out to Rock'N'Race at the end of August! It will be a good time!
curator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:36 AM   #69
curator
Pre-Staged

Garage

Quote:

Great comments! I have a great relationship with the NDRL, we work together at the Blue Suede Cruise on the race side of the event. Quain Stott has a nice nostalgia group that has lots of rules. I am friends with the Scott Rods AA/Gassers and know some of the guys in the other two groups as well. I have run with the Nostalgic Notions, Geezer Gassers, Great Lakes Gassers and the East Coast Gassers! This is none of them! This is not a group, you don't need to join anything to race at any of our events. Heritage gas is just one class, we also have Nostalgia Gas, that is an index and Competition Gas that is dial in to the nearest 10th. We just feel that the term "period correct" has been in the forefront of our hobby lately and feel the need to make it right. Gasser Madness is a website started by Byron Stack to help preserve the history of the Gas Classes. We think sanctioning this class will help that cause, and alot of folks can have some fun doing it!
Old 07-26-2017, 12:40 AM   #70
curator
Pre-Staged

Garage

Quote:
I have said this to many of those groups over the years and was told to my face, it would never happen.

There are various reasons but can be summed up to egos, attitudes politics and people that have their own version of what they perceive a "Gasser" is based on what they "saw" when they were younger.

What Don (the OP) is attempting is what I have said for years. Pick a cut-off year, use that year's rule book, add the current safety rule and that makes up the rules for the class.... End of story.

Don just happens to take it one step further with this "date code" thing that I strongly believe will hurt his efforts.

Let's not forget Jim Oddy getting quietly booted from the Nostalgia AA Gassers by a rule change because his period correct Gasser (Junkyard Dog) was winning.
Since this isn't a group, one can't get kicked out! If he comes in and dominates, put a bulls-eye on his back and see who can catch him! There will be no changes in rules to level the playing field, it will be as close to the way it was as we can get.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:46 AM   #71
curator
Pre-Staged

Garage

Quote:

As far as getting all the groups together, I am running an event at Dragway 42 at the end of august called Rock'N'Race. I sent this out there to see how many gassers I could get to one event. Not sure this has ever been done before! Gas Mileage for all gassers! We even have Gasser Magazine sponsoring a true Weight/cubic inch gas class race on saturday night for all Nostalgia Gas cars. Should be fun watching the heads up action with live bands playing next to the track!
Old 07-26-2017, 03:02 AM   #72
Geerbangr
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
I hope we do! It is too bad you lost enthusiasm over some self serving individuals that run groups and try to re-write history. I got alot of shit when I separated the nose high gassers from the low to the ground cars, and removed convertible sports cars from the gas classes! Come out to Rock'N'Race at the end of August! It will be a good time!
Nose high gassers ttf
Old 07-26-2017, 03:05 AM   #73
Geerbangr
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
As far as getting all the groups together, I am running an event at Dragway 42 at the end of august called Rock'N'Race. I sent this out there to see how many gassers I could get to one event. Not sure this has ever been done before! Gas Mileage for all gassers! We even have Gasser Magazine sponsoring a true Weight/cubic inch gas class race on saturday night for all Nostalgia Gas cars. Should be fun watching the heads up action with live bands playing next to the track!
If you can get all the whiny cunts to stfu and put their junk in the beams and do 6500 rpm clutch dumps it'll be an epic event. Wish you the best! Post pics for us
Old 07-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #74
Life's a Drag
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Now this is cool and old school.

Quote:
Nose high gassers ttf
STFU with the nose high B.S.

Quote:
Quote:

Quit wasting my time
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #75
Life's a Drag
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Nose high gassers ttf
I got yer nose high right here..........

Quote:
Quote:

Quit wasting my time
Quote: