Ride height and front end alignment - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Stock Suspension - TRZ Motorsports

Stock Suspension - TRZ Motorsports

Old 08-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #1
VMAX1209
Pullin gears

Default Ride height and front end alignment

Will changing the ride height ( front coilovers) on my 4th gen Camaro affect my front end alignment?? Want to raise the car about an inch or so
Also will replacing the front struts change the front end alignment?
Who does race only alignments and any tips on what to do for the 4th gen front end?
It has the tubular stuff and k member
Thx
VMAX1209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 10:38 PM   #2
HAULIN' IT
Pullin gears

Default Re: Ride height and front end alignment

Kinda sad around here! 5 years ago you would have had 10 knowledgeable guys offering advice within a day. Now either a couple guys are ruining most posts by taking shots at each other or like this one, crickets.
Since no one has offered any help, I'll add what I can. Yes, When you change ride height the Toe will change...just how much depends on the angle of the tie rods from the body to the knuckle. Envision if they angle upward to the knuckles (compared to level with the ground) & you raise the vehicle (raising the center compared to the outers) the inner tie rods "get longer" by becoming straighter thus pushing the wheels outward (on the front steer type steering like yours) as they get closer to level. Likewise, as you raise the vehicle the Camber will change as well.

Onto the struts. Im going to assume you still have a "stock type" front suspension (with an upper control arm) besides the move of the spring to a coil over? If so, this will be correct. If you change ONLY the strut...re-use the spring & re-install it at its same height, then no, it will not change the alignment. If you don't get it back exactly where it was (changing the ride height) well you back to the above. Or if you have eliminated the upper control arm (with some aftermarket stuff), there is more to discuss

On the settings. The only thing I would offer is that if its a track only car I would try to get some photos of how much the front end rises under load going down the track
& get the shop to raise the body with a jack close to that amount when setting the Toe. Camber 0* & really as much Caster as you can get is likely the answer...within reason, 4*-6* & very similar side to side.
If this is a mostly street driven car, Id think more along the lines of a stock setting with a touch more Caster.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to help you. Lorne
HAULIN' IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
CoreyMac
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAULIN' IT View Post
Kinda sad around here! 5 years ago you would have had 10 knowledgeable guys offering advice within a day. Now either a couple guys are ruining most posts by taking shots at each other or like this one, crickets.
Since no one has offered any help, I'll add what I can. Yes, When you change ride height the Toe will change...just how much depends on the angle of the tie rods from the body to the knuckle. Envision if they angle upward to the knuckles (compared to level with the ground) & you raise the vehicle (raising the center compared to the outers) the inner tie rods "get longer" by becoming straighter thus pushing the wheels outward (on the front steer type steering like yours) as they get closer to level. Likewise, as you raise the vehicle the Camber will change as well.

Onto the struts. Im going to assume you still have a "stock type" front suspension (with an upper control arm) besides the move of the spring to a coil over? If so, this will be correct. If you change ONLY the strut...re-use the spring & re-install it at its same height, then no, it will not change the alignment. If you don't get it back exactly where it was (changing the ride height) well you back to the above. Or if you have eliminated the upper control arm (with some aftermarket stuff), there is more to discuss

On the settings. The only thing I would offer is that if its a track only car I would try to get some photos of how much the front end rises under load going down the track
& get the shop to raise the body with a jack close to that amount when setting the Toe. Camber 0* & really as much Caster as you can get is likely the answer...within reason, 4*-6* & very similar side to side.
If this is a mostly street driven car, Id think more along the lines of a stock setting with a touch more Caster.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to help you. Lorne
Problem around this site now is every time a knowledgeable guy offers up some good advice, there is 100 wanna be ,know it all, keyboard jockeys who call the guy out and say he doesn't know shit. It's kinda wrecked it for legit people who want info and the people that potentially help them.

My opinion
Corey
Old 08-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #4
Lumbergh
Smoked Another SBC

As stated a ride height change will affect alignment, but it shouldn’t be a huge change. Struts alone on a 4th Gen will not affect the alignment as long as you don’t remove any parts that will affect alignment while changing the struts.
Lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:41 AM   #5
1972bird
slams revolving doors
Smoked another BBC

Garage

As far as aliment you could go to a local track and ask. Most Tire shops don't like to put cars out of the factory numbers.

Mark Twain
1972bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2019, 03:43 AM   #6
lumen8
Smoked another BBC

Garage

Not much to add here on top of whats already been said.

Check the wheelbase on each side when you get the front where you want it, the rear of these cars can be off. If you have adjustable lower arms on the rear you can even things up.

You can do the toe yourself with these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toe-Plates-...e/323311825512

and there are toe plates that can do camber and caster also

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compact-2-W...Y/281779213264
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote