Anyone make anything good lately? - Page 4 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Cook of the weak

Cook of the weak Grilling, Smoking, Slow Cookers, Dutch Ovens and other forms of cooking!!!

Old 02-21-2016, 10:08 AM   #46
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Thought this was good. My "Lamb". Well, being it was a Pork Standing rib roast, slow cooked it like I would do a Prime Rib and did a reverse sear.

Did an Apple reduction Carmel Sauce with it. Basically just a bottle of Apple juice, add some butter to it, reduce it and add some brown Sugar. Once it starts to thicken add some sliced Apple.

Denny
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #47
CrustyRackson
Low Life
Smoked another BBC

Oyster stew and fried haddock today so far.........
CrustyRackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #48
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyRackson View Post
Oyster stew and fried haddock today so far.........
I love Oyster stew! Problem is find good Oysters in Dallas, Tx plus they are getting pricy from what they used to be. Did you do it New Orleans style with the scalded milk?

Pictures?

Denny
Old 02-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #49
CrustyRackson
Low Life
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny McLain View Post
I love Oyster stew! Problem is find good Oysters in Dallas, Tx plus they are getting pricy from what they used to be. Did you do it New Orleans style with the scalded milk?

Pictures?

Denny
Any Maine seafood can be shipped anywhere you want, live lobsters next day also. I paid $ 13.00 per pint for fresh oysters.
I use a double boiler and I am sure you know what that is. Scalding the milk is not what I do but just as the butter starts to curdle turn down the heat so not to scald the milk because it will stick to the bottom of the pan, you went too far.
When the oysters firm up and float it is pretty much done. Never over cook a milk dish. enjoy
CrustyRackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #50
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Any Maine seafood can be shipped anywhere you want, live lobsters next day also. I paid $ 13.00 per pint for fresh oysters.
I use a double boiler and I am sure you know what that is. Scalding the milk is not what I do but just as the butter starts to curdle turn down the heat so not to scald the milk because it will stick to the bottom of the pan, you went too far.
When the oysters firm up and float it is pretty much done. Never over cook a milk dish. enjoy
Great dish, really is. Sounds like you have it nailed.

Denny
Old 02-29-2016, 04:30 PM   #51
ndmp40
Smoked Another SBC

Made lentil soup last night.
One pound of lentils, in 12 cups of water. Add salt, pepper, garlic, 2 tbl spoons balsamic, 4 tbl sp of EV olive oil, simmer for 4 hours or so.
Add chopped carrots half way through, and baby spinach a half our or so before its done. Healthy and tasty.
ndmp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:16 PM   #52
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmp40 View Post
Made lentil soup last night.
One pound of lentils, in 12 cups of water. Add salt, pepper, garlic, 2 tbl spoons balsamic, 4 tbl sp of EV olive oil, simmer for 4 hours or so.
Add chopped carrots half way through, and baby spinach a half our or so before its done. Healthy and tasty.
Damn, guess my problem is I love food food that was made using a little love. Good for you!

Denny
Old 02-29-2016, 10:27 PM   #53
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Got to add that I've sat at the counter at the Acme Oyster House on Burbeon Street and watched them make Oyster Stew. They use two pans, one is to scald the milk, the other is to pan sear the Oysters in butter till they curl slightly. Dump the milk into pan with the Oysters, dump into a bowl .....done.

Denny

Last edited by Denny McLain; 02-29-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:43 PM   #54
ndmp40
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Damn, guess my problem is I love food food that was made using a little love. Good for you!

Denny
Simple, cheap and very good for you. Tasty too.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:13 AM   #55
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

This is more than good.........! Not sure what size you would even call these, but 6 of them weighed 18oz. Biggest Shrimp I recall seeing and was all over then like stink on poop when I spotted them. Being an early spring here, gearing up for summer food already.

Seasoned with McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning, about an hour prior to cooking. Let um rest for 45 minutes, light coat of Olive Oil and then wrapped in Bacon. What else........Grilled!

Severed with a Saffron Rice Pilaf and grilled Zucchini. Hard to beat. Real hard to beat.

Denny
Old 03-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #56
ndmp40
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
This is more than good.........! Not sure what size you would even call these, but 6 of them weighed 18oz. Biggest Shrimp I recall seeing and was all over then like stink on poop when I spotted them. Being an early spring here, gearing up for summer food already.

Seasoned with McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning, about an hour prior to cooking. Let um rest for 45 minutes, light coat of Olive Oil and then wrapped in Bacon. What else........Grilled!

Severed with a Saffron Rice Pilaf and grilled Zucchini. Hard to beat. Real hard to beat.

Denny
How do you manage to cook the bacon without overcooking the shrimp. When I grill shrimp, they cook for only a couple minutes, and I do mean a couple. What is the secret?
Old 03-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #57
ndmp40
Smoked Another SBC

Oh and grilled zucchini is on my top 10 grilling list!
Old 03-02-2016, 01:03 PM   #58
Hickoryhound
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
How do you manage to cook the bacon without overcooking the shrimp. When I grill shrimp, they cook for only a couple minutes, and I do mean a couple. What is the secret?
Denny may have another secret, but when we wrap anything with bacon for a short cook...( like shrimp, scallops etc.) we normally pre cook the bacon a little to where it is still pliable , let it cool and then wrap the protein or veggie in question and then grill it to temp.....

Bacon wrapped grilled zucchini is outstanding btw.........hell, bacon wrapped milk bones would probably be good.
Hickoryhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #59
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickoryhound View Post
Denny may have another secret, but when we wrap anything with bacon for a short cook...( like shrimp, scallops etc.) we normally pre cook the bacon a little to where it is still pliable , let it cool and then wrap the protein or veggie in question and then grill it to temp.....

Bacon wrapped grilled zucchini is outstanding btw.........hell, bacon wrapped milk bones would probably be good.
The only secret I have is to use the largest shrimp you can find, the thinnest sliced bacon you can find and jump through hoops trying to find the sweet spot on the grill. I will only do the bacon wrap if I can find the under 12 to a pound or larger Shrimp. As far as Shrimp goes, these were monsters. The truly tricky part is keeping the lid closed a much as possible while trying to move the Shrimp around so to prevent flare-ups. Really is a tap dance and takes a little effort to get it right. Got lucky and everything came out perfect and can honestly say I have never had better shrimp.

Denny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #60
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Oh and grilled zucchini is on my top 10 grilling list!
I like grilled Zucchini also. Didn't do it this time as I had just done an Okra n roasted Red Pepper dish the day before, but I like get as much color as I can and grilled Zucchini and roasted Red Peppers go good together.

Denny