Anyone make anything good lately? - Page 4 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Cook of the weak

Cook of the weak Grilling, Smoking, Slow Cookers, Dutch Ovens and other forms of cooking!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2016, 10:08 AM   #46
Denny McLain
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
Denny McLain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 15,626
Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Thought this was good. My "Lamb". Well, being it was a Pork Standing rib roast, slow cooked it like I would do a Prime Rib and did a reverse sear.



Did an Apple reduction Carmel Sauce with it. Basically just a bottle of Apple juice, add some butter to it, reduce it and add some brown Sugar. Once it starts to thicken add some sliced Apple.

Denny
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #47
CrustyRackson
Low Life
Smoked another BBC
 
CrustyRackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: 45,41N 69,43W
Posts: 1,741
Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Oyster stew and fried haddock today so far.........
CrustyRackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #48
Denny McLain
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
Denny McLain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 15,626
Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyRackson View Post
Oyster stew and fried haddock today so far.........
I love Oyster stew! Problem is find good Oysters in Dallas, Tx plus they are getting pricy from what they used to be. Did you do it New Orleans style with the scalded milk?

Pictures?

Denny
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #49
CrustyRackson
Low Life
Smoked another BBC
 
CrustyRackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: 45,41N 69,43W
Posts: 1,741
Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny McLain View Post
I love Oyster stew! Problem is find good Oysters in Dallas, Tx plus they are getting pricy from what they used to be. Did you do it New Orleans style with the scalded milk?

Pictures?

Denny
Any Maine seafood can be shipped anywhere you want, live lobsters next day also. I paid $ 13.00 per pint for fresh oysters.
I use a double boiler and I am sure you know what that is. Scalding the milk is not what I do but just as the butter starts to curdle turn down the heat so not to scald the milk because it will stick to the bottom of the pan, you went too far.
When the oysters firm up and float it is pretty much done. Never over cook a milk dish. enjoy
CrustyRackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #50
Denny McLain
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
Denny McLain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 15,626
Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyRackson View Post
Any Maine seafood can be shipped anywhere you want, live lobsters next day also. I paid $ 13.00 per pint for fresh oysters.
I use a double boiler and I am sure you know what that is. Scalding the milk is not what I do but just as the butter starts to curdle turn down the heat so not to scald the milk because it will stick to the bottom of the pan, you went too far.
When the oysters firm up and float it is pretty much done. Never over cook a milk dish. enjoy
Great dish, really is. Sounds like you have it nailed.

Denny
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:30 PM   #51
ndmp40
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 53,474
Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Made lentil soup last night.
One pound of lentils, in 12 cups of water. Add salt, pepper, garlic, 2 tbl spoons balsamic, 4 tbl sp of EV olive oil, simmer for 4 hours or so.
Add chopped carrots half way through, and baby spinach a half our or so before its done. Healthy and tasty.
ndmp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:16 PM   #52
Denny McLain
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
Denny McLain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 15,626
Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmp40 View Post
Made lentil soup last night.
One pound of lentils, in 12 cups of water. Add salt, pepper, garlic, 2 tbl spoons balsamic, 4 tbl sp of EV olive oil, simmer for 4 hours or so.
Add chopped carrots half way through, and baby spinach a half our or so before its done. Healthy and tasty.
Damn, guess my problem is I love food food that was made using a little love. Good for you!

Denny
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:27 PM   #53
Denny McLain
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
Denny McLain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 15,626
Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyRackson View Post
Any Maine seafood can be shipped anywhere you want, live lobsters next day also. I paid $ 13.00 per pint for fresh oysters.
I use a double boiler and I am sure you know what that is. Scalding the milk is not what I do but just as the butter starts to curdle turn down the heat so not to scald the milk because it will stick to the bottom of the pan, you went too far.
When the oysters firm up and float it is pretty much done. Never over cook a milk dish. enjoy
Got to add that I've sat at the counter at the Acme Oyster House on Burbeon Street and watched them make Oyster Stew. They use two pans, one is to scald the milk, the other is to pan sear the Oysters in butter till they curl slightly. Dump the milk into pan with the Oysters, dump into a bowl .....done.

Denny

Last edited by Denny McLain; 02-29-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:43 PM   #54
ndmp40
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 53,474
Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny McLain View Post
Damn, guess my problem is I love food food that was made using a little love. Good for you!

Denny
Simple, cheap and very good for you. Tasty too.
ndmp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:13 AM   #55
Denny McLain
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
Denny McLain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 15,626
Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

This is more than good.........! Not sure what size you would even call these, but 6 of them weighed 18oz. Biggest Shrimp I recall seeing and was all over then like stink on poop when I spotted them. Being an early spring here, gearing up for summer food already.




Seasoned with McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning, about an hour prior to cooking. Let um rest for 45 minutes, light coat of Olive Oil and then wrapped in Bacon. What else........Grilled!



Severed with a Saffron Rice Pilaf and grilled Zucchini. Hard to beat. Real hard to beat.

Denny
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #56
ndmp40
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 53,474
Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny McLain View Post
This is more than good.........! Not sure what size you would even call these, but 6 of them weighed 18oz. Biggest Shrimp I recall seeing and was all over then like stink on poop when I spotted them. Being an early spring here, gearing up for summer food already.




Seasoned with McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning, about an hour prior to cooking. Let um rest for 45 minutes, light coat of Olive Oil and then wrapped in Bacon. What else........Grilled!



Severed with a Saffron Rice Pilaf and grilled Zucchini. Hard to beat. Real hard to beat.

Denny
How do you manage to cook the bacon without overcooking the shrimp. When I grill shrimp, they cook for only a couple minutes, and I do mean a couple. What is the secret?
ndmp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #57
ndmp40
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 53,474
Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Oh and grilled zucchini is on my top 10 grilling list!
ndmp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:03 PM   #58
Hickoryhound
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
Hickoryhound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 11,062
Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmp40 View Post
How do you manage to cook the bacon without overcooking the shrimp. When I grill shrimp, they cook for only a couple minutes, and I do mean a couple. What is the secret?
Denny may have another secret, but when we wrap anything with bacon for a short cook...( like shrimp, scallops etc.) we normally pre cook the bacon a little to where it is still pliable , let it cool and then wrap the protein or veggie in question and then grill it to temp.....

Bacon wrapped grilled zucchini is outstanding btw.........hell, bacon wrapped milk bones would probably be good.
Hickoryhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #59
Denny McLain
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
Denny McLain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 15,626
Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickoryhound View Post
Denny may have another secret, but when we wrap anything with bacon for a short cook...( like shrimp, scallops etc.) we normally pre cook the bacon a little to where it is still pliable , let it cool and then wrap the protein or veggie in question and then grill it to temp.....

Bacon wrapped grilled zucchini is outstanding btw.........hell, bacon wrapped milk bones would probably be good.
The only secret I have is to use the largest shrimp you can find, the thinnest sliced bacon you can find and jump through hoops trying to find the sweet spot on the grill. I will only do the bacon wrap if I can find the under 12 to a pound or larger Shrimp. As far as Shrimp goes, these were monsters. The truly tricky part is keeping the lid closed a much as possible while trying to move the Shrimp around so to prevent flare-ups. Really is a tap dance and takes a little effort to get it right. Got lucky and everything came out perfect and can honestly say I have never had better shrimp.


Denny
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #60
Denny McLain
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
Denny McLain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 15,626
Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmp40 View Post
Oh and grilled zucchini is on my top 10 grilling list!
I like grilled Zucchini also. Didn't do it this time as I had just done an Okra n roasted Red Pepper dish the day before, but I like get as much color as I can and grilled Zucchini and roasted Red Peppers go good together.

Denny
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 0%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Yellow Bullet LLC
 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.