Yellow Bullet Forums banner

floor bar advice

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  JL Performance 
#1 · (Edited)
i have a wide back half in my car. what i am looking to do is add a 1-5/8" gusset shown in red, and the diagonal bar (8a) in blue.
what do you guys think?

adding bars by y, on Flickr

See less See more
#5 ·
Agree with the others -- it needs triangulation and now is the time to get your seal mount(s) located.

Something I would look at changing though. I would run the diagonal in (blue) to align (intersect) with the tubes that the 4-link brackets are welded to, on the cross member. Of course, tie the front of that diagonal into the rocker bar and the diagonal bar joint, shown in the pic. The reason I offer to do it like this is because the forward force vectors are acting right at the locations where the two tubes the 4-link brackets are welded on, are welded to the cross member. That location is where the diagonal needs to be located, imho.

Then with regards to the diagonal in (red), then you can move it to intersect the outer, rear corner of the rocker bar and cross member joint, and then intersect the long diagonal (blue) you've added, then carry the (red) diagonal on to the other side and tie into the inner frame rail / gusset joint - adjacent to the transmission mount bar. Keeping that diagonal straight.

Hope that helps.

#6 ·
thanks for the input guys. this started off as a 25.5 and i later decided to shoot for a 25.3. i dont have my book yet for that spec, but im thinking with my 1" diagonals im going to need to put the stock floor back in it? was thinking 25.3 needed 1.25" or something like that....

#10 ·
I have that (those) red bar (s) in mine.
If the OP's inner frame rails had aligned with / intersected the tubes the 4-link brackets are welded to, the short gusset bars (red) would be the only ones he would need to add, like those shown on your chassis.

#11 ·
in my infinite wisdom, i wanted a wide backhalf 36" wide because in my head it seemed like it would all work better with the small tire. when it came time to do the inner frame rails, i didnt like how they were going to 1) be spaced so wide at the rear placing them so close to the outer rails 2)putting them on a diagonal making all the other bars difficult to notch. the front subframe spacing is something like 26" i think.
so i decided to put them parallel and add gussets to transfer the forces from the 4 link brackets directly into the inner framerails/front subframe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.