Big Nitrous Explosion at Grudge race at Middle Georgia Motorsports Park - Page 2 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Grudge, No ET and No Prep Racing

Grudge, No ET and No Prep Racing Talk about Grudge and No ET racing. Trash talk is allowed. Use common sense when posting..

Old 10-24-2018, 11:48 PM   #16
CDRoberts
remembers
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Big Nitrous Explosion at Grudge race at Middle Georgia Motorsports Park

dang

Last edited by CDRoberts; 10-24-2018 at 11:52 PM.
CDRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #17
Mike Beck
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Big Nitrous Explosion at Grudge race at Middle Georgia Motorsports Park

I don't care how slow or fast a nitrous car is, any that I have plumbed had a 1/4 turn valve right next to the driver! I also put the nitrous filter right in front of the valve to keep any possible trash from ever getting to the valve.
Mike Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #18
corcon
Smoked another BBC

Ball valve within reach should be a rule. I had a bad crash last summer that had a good fire. Fire system then ball valve off. Took 2 seconds then got my ass out. Nothing should be more important then getting out.
corcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:27 AM   #19
Bad00SS
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatwax View Post
what makes you think the bottle valve is within reach? and even if it is another 3-5 seconds turning a valve off is not first on my mind, sorry but if I see big fire like that right in front of me my first thought is get the hell out and away to save my ass!
I would assume anyone racing at a higher level than your average street car with 150 shot would have a 1/4 turn valve. I have my 1/4 turn and gauge next to my shifter. I open it after my burnout. it takes 2 seconds to close it if I have a nitrous back fire or something is going wrong. Close the valve, kill power, unstrap and get the fuck out.

346 cubic inches of straight crawlin junk
Bad00SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #20
fatwax
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad00SS View Post
I would assume anyone racing at a higher level than your average street car with 150 shot would have a 1/4 turn valve. I have my 1/4 turn and gauge next to my shifter. I open it after my burnout. it takes 2 seconds to close it if I have a nitrous back fire or something is going wrong. Close the valve, kill power, unstrap and get the fuck out.
You're making a lot of assumptions for a guy that was probably wearing a single layer jacket helmet and blue jeans at best. Never seems to me that grudge and safety go hand in hand
Old 10-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #21
Bad00SS
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatwax View Post
You're making a lot of assumptions for a guy that was probably wearing a single layer jacket helmet and blue jeans at best. Never seems to me that grudge and safety go hand in hand
True. My car is a no time car and street raced on occasion. I'm prolly safer than any car I've raced against on the street and that's a fact lol. You do see a lot of backyard mechanic thrown together shit at these grudge events lol.

346 cubic inches of straight crawlin junk
Bad00SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #22
fofo
Smoked Another SBC

^^^ What Corcon said. I cannot reach both bottle valves, so I have two 1/4 turn ball valves next to my shifter. Ball valves both "off", & then Ignition switch "off", to stop the fuel pump...will prevent a bad situation from getting worse. Also, EVERY TIME I start the engine I turn it over for a couple seconds BEFORE I turn on the Ignition switch...as a precaution in the event there is some n20 that leaked in to the engine.
'69 Camaro Yenko SC - Back Half / NHRA 25.2 / Stock Front Suspension - Fulton 718 & N20
337-781-4443
[email protected]
Lafayette, LA 70508

FOR SALE: $1,950
Stainless Headers (under car) 2 1/4" & 4" Merge Collector, by The Fab Shop for tube chassis car, BBC;

FOR SALE: $5,950
3 Stage n20 CFE Intake. Dual Split Carbs by David Cook DC Carbs. Was on 5" BS 738 BBC 11.36 deck with Sonny Leonard Heads;
fofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #23
Kane
Pullin gears

That quick burndown looks to be the result of fuel lines being ruptured during the intitial backfire and the fuel pumps running and pouring fuel into the engine compartment..nitrous is non-flammable however just like oxygen it accelerates combusion when a fuel is present... Pumps need to be shut off first IMHO...then the nitrous shut off via 1/4 turn ball valves etc...For a better safety system a 12v
solenoid could be plumbed in line for nitrous supply and immediately shut off if needed with the push of a button or flip of a switch..........
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:43 AM   #24
yeti
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
That quick burndown looks to be the result of fuel lines being ruptured during the intitial backfire and the fuel pumps running and pouring fuel into the engine compartment..nitrous is non-flammable however just like oxygen it accelerates combusion when a fuel is present... Pumps need to be shut off first IMHO...then the nitrous shut off via 1/4 turn ball valves etc...For a better safety system a 12v
solenoid could be plumbed in line for nitrous supply and immediately shut off if needed with the push of a button or flip of a switch..........
Will you guys please stop repeating the misinformation that nitrous is non-flammable, because it most certainly is. Nitrous does not need any other combustible to release a large amount of heat.

In fact, nitrous oxide is used in rocketry as a mono-propellant because it needs no other fuel or oxidizer to sustain a self-perpetuating exothermic (heat releasing) reaction with the energy release equal to 40% an equal weight of TNT.

The nitrous dissociation reaction is not combustion in the common understanding of the word 'combustion', in fact it is the opposite, the atoms in a molecule are separated, instead of combined, but in the case of nitrous oxide the dissociation releases heat.

The N2O molecule dissociates (splits apart) when subject to temperature above about 575 F and releases as heat the bond energy that holds the N and O together.

When N2O acts as an oxidizer, the exothermic molecular dissociation reaction occurs first, releasing heat and freeing the Oxygen atom from the Nitrogen atoms, the free Oxygen then is available to combust with available combustibles and release more heat.

Give your attention span a workout with this --> https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a489459.pdf
yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:58 PM   #25
spyder7724
Smoked another BBC

Garage

Was the camera attached to a dog or something? Somebody needs a tripod or Parkinson's Meds.
spyder7724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:17 PM   #26
GKsGS400
YB Managing Editor
Smoked Another SBC

Micheal J Fox on camera

David Shaker
GKsGS400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2018, 03:49 AM   #27
vegaman924
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder7724 View Post
Was the camera attached to a dog or something? Somebody needs a tripod or Parkinson's Meds.
Yup def lol ^^^^^
vegaman924 is offline   Reply With Quote