C3 Corvette driveshaft help needed - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Trash Or Be Trashed

Trash Or Be Trashed Where the weak are killed and eaten!!!! Vulgar language and nudity may be enclosed!! NWS

Old 09-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #1
opeliac
Smoked Another SBC

Default C3 Corvette driveshaft help needed

I have a customer that exploded the front yoke in his 70 big block car(taking out a bunch of the tunnel)...

What driveshaft have you guys been able to fit into a stock tunnel, with keeping the emergency brake? Denny's driveshaft makes a 3" nitrous kit, with moly yokes, but they dont seem to be sure of what mods need to be done to fit it in a stock tunnel...They do know that you have to take the rear diff out in order to get it in and out...

Any info would be appreciated.
opeliac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
Steve439
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: C3 Corvette driveshaft help needed

PM 540Hotrod, he'll know and is a really helpful guy.
Steve439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
flyin ryan
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeliac View Post
I have a customer that exploded the front yoke in his 70 big block car(taking out a bunch of the tunnel)...

What driveshaft have you guys been able to fit into a stock tunnel, with keeping the emergency brake? Denny's driveshaft makes a 3" nitrous kit, with moly yokes, but they don't seem to be sure of what mods need to be done to fit it in a stock tunnel...They do know that you have to take the rear diff out in order to get it in and out...

Any info would be appreciated.
I have run a 3 1/2" but it was stupid tight and I didn't have the emergency brake cables on at that point either. The one good thing to remember is the shaft is super short, so that helps out a bunch with strength. You don't necessarily treat it the same as a Camaro or Chevelle per sa'.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
bobbyls6
Pullin gears

Garage

I've run a 3 inch moly and a 3.25 carbon but no stock e brake...i currently run a MW 3inch behind 1000hp BB and a liberty 5 speed....unless that BB is 600+ hp 3 inch is overkill as the irs will explode first... if your customer wants the carbon shaft I've still got it with a 32 spline yoke
bobbyls6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #5
opeliac
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyls6 View Post
I've run a 3 inch moly and a 3.25 carbon but no stock e brake...i currently run a MW 3inch behind 1000hp BB and a liberty 5 speed....unless that BB is 600+ hp 3 inch is overkill as the irs will explode first... if your customer wants the carbon shaft I've still got it with a 32 spline yoke
What is the biggest that you think I can squeeze in with the E brake? It has a 12:1 505 with an Autogear 27 spline M23...We have several mild upgrades in the rear, with more to come...I'm just trying to figure out a shaft that will handle 700HP...I'll also build a safety loop this time, dont want anymore tunnel explosions.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #6
68camaroturbo
Satans Daddy
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

I ran a 3" MW shaft in 3200#'s running a 598 on 2 kits. 4.5- 4.60's 1.11 60' w/ 33w

A wise manís heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish manís heart directs him toward the left.
68camaroturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #7
opeliac
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68camaroturbo View Post
I ran a 3" MW shaft in 3200#'s running a 598 on 2 kits. 4.5- 4.60's 1.11 60' w/ 33w
Was that in a C3?