The Broke EF SC400 build - Page 6 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Build Threads > Import Builds

Import Builds Share all Import Builds in this section.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #76
quick_8
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: The Broke EF SC400 build

What rear end are you going with? Stock or Fab 9"?

I am running the stock rear end with 3.266 gears and a Kaaz locker (locker is adjustable which is cool)

Are you running the DP all the way to rear bumper?

Looking at that passenger exhaust looks super close to the AC comp.

let me know if you have any questions man!
quick_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #77
Broke EF
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick_8 View Post
What rear end are you going with? Stock or Fab 9"?

I am running the stock rear end with 3.266 gears and a Kaaz locker (locker is adjustable which is cool)

Are you running the DP all the way to rear bumper?

Looking at that passenger exhaust looks super close to the AC comp.

let me know if you have any questions man!
Stock, welded for now (I guess) until I do a 8.8 or 9" I would get a sock LSD but people want crazy money for them. Rather put that toward a more long term solution.

Exhaust will go all the way out the back.

No AC right now. I am still a little on the fence about it, but probably just wont bother with AC.

Sean
Old 08-19-2019, 03:49 PM   #78
Broke EF
Smoked another BBC

Time for another small update! I have gathered a few more parts, and also decided to make some changes. First up lets bring you guys up to speed on whats been happening. A few weeks back I rolled it out of the garage so I could do an oil change on my daily driver. While it was outside I figured I may as well clean off some of the dust

Also while it was outside I got rid of the garage door opener on that bay so I can raise the car up higher.

In case anyone was wondering, it was a pain in the ass to get it back on the lift! Just another reason I need an ATV

Anyway I have been trying to think through what parts I need, and what are some of the next steps on the car. I may not be working on it, but my brain never stops. I happened to find some Siemens Dekka 80lb injectors, so I jumped on them real quick.

So then I was thinking about the fuel system. That reminded me that I have some parts laying around somewhere. I knew I had a filter around, and some other things so I went on the hunt. Ended up finding the Fore Innovation fuel pressure regulator.

I know I also have a Fuelab 5" filter with -8 in/out somewhere as well. Looking through old pics it was installed post pump, so I ordered up a matching pre-pump filter, and an AEM inline fuel pump which is basically a Bosh 044.

I know that at one point I had some fuel rails, but I cant remember if I sold them or not. I need to dig though some more boxes to find that filter, and see if I do still have those rails. I have a lot of AN line and fittings already as well, so regardless I have most of a fuel system now Of course this pump will only support around 500-600 HP, but it will get the car up and running a lot sooner than spending 5 times the money on a massive fuel pump. The rest of the system will support plenty more (I also have 160lb/hr injectors) so it should be a simple change of pump when I need more down the road.

The other thing I have been going back and forth with for months now is my order of operations. I wanted to finish the fabrication work (at least all tacked up) before blowing it all apart to work on other areas. But since I don't currently have 220v power out in the garage, and the welder I use is 220 only I have been twiddling my thumbs. The other day while driving I had a thought about how to redo the passenger side piping to allow me to put AC in the car (another thing I have been debating since the start). Well when I got back home I looked at it, and decided to not only do what was thinking, but also redo the driverside as well. It has been bugging me that the radiator has to be moved because I fucked up (kind of) the turbo placement. The turbo is staying exactly where it is, but all of the existing hot side will be changed. It will fix the radiator "issue", allow me to put in AC if I want, give me better wastegate location, and should also help with under hood temps which will already be an issue I think. Not only that, but it also means I can blow everything apart and work on other shit before I get the power sorted out in the garage!!! Another thing I did while I was looking at it was throw on the new valve cover to see how my clearance was on the down pipe.

Has to move over a little, but it was going to anyway. That down pipe was just tacked to be representative of the ballpark where it would be. Its not fit up worth a shit.

So the TL;DNR version is that I am going to start doing some actual work to the car pretty soon! I am expecting some kind of actual update in a couple weeks. This weekend I want to try and do something, but since its the wife's birthday I highly doubt I will. It has been driving me nuts to not be working on this car! I am really excited to have a game plan again so I can stop collecting parts and actually make progress!

Thanks for following along!
Sean
Old 08-23-2019, 10:57 PM   #79
quick_8
Smoked Another SBC

You keeping the ABS motor? That thing is going to get smoking hot with that DP by it. Also replace that heater hose behind the engine, if it springs a leak you will piss coolant all over that engine. Can't wait to see it done, mine rips pretty good...and its only on WG spring #11.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:58 AM   #80
Broke EF
Smoked another BBC

Holy shit, I actually worked on the car a little bit yesterday!!! I am just as shocked as you guys are. I knew this weekend would be hard since we were celebrating the wife's birthday. I was able to get the SC outside Saturday morning so I could get her car in to do an oil change before we left for the day. We were really productive Sunday which is a bit surprising after two days of partying. I don't drink, but I expected the wife to be useless Sunday Anyway we got a bunch of shit done around the house/yard and I got the SC back into the garage pretty early in the day. Then I was kinda standing around so I decided I could at least start taking stuff off.

That took all of about 3 minutes. I wanted to get the motor out, but wanted to pull off the hood first. The wife ran out while I was taking off the piping so I was kind of stuck. My buddy Dom was sitting around bored so I said come on down. I got the grass (mostly) cut while he was on the way. Once he got there we pulled off the hood, and then I finished the grass. Then we ordered some dinner and thought we may as well get as far as we can getting ready to pull the motor before we go pick it up.

That took about 10 minutes, just in time to clean up and go get food. After we ate we moved the SC back on to the lift which I didn't expect to get done. Got the trans separated from the motor, and the motor up on the stand. After that just straightened up and put everything back inside.

Can't believe I can actually fit all of my vehicles in my own garage at the same time! Anyway, not all that exciting but I got a jump on what I wanted to get done next weekend so that is good. Next on the list is to clean up the engine bay and the motor. On the car side I want to get rid of the ABS and all that BS. I also need to do some other stuff you will see later. On the motor I want to get the broken exhaust studs out of the heads, that's about all for now. I need to start getting parts for that soon like valve springs, oil pan, hardware for the intake, etc. Hopefully you guys will see a bit bigger of an update next weekend!

Thanks for following along,
Sean
Old 08-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #81
Broke EF
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
You keeping the ABS motor? That thing is going to get smoking hot with that DP by it. Also replace that heater hose behind the engine, if it springs a leak you will piss coolant all over that engine. Can't wait to see it done, mine rips pretty good...and its only on WG spring #11.
Nah, I have had an ABS delete kit for it for a while now. I was waiting until the motor was out to start messing with it. I also have some LS400 brakes for it, but need different wheels for those. Probably do SC300 rears, the LS400 fronts, lines etc. all at the same time with the wheels/tires.

Sean
Old 09-20-2019, 11:51 PM   #82
quick_8
Smoked Another SBC

Any updates?
Old 09-24-2019, 10:39 AM   #83
Broke EF
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Any updates?
I was just coming to update this thread actually. Unfortunately we have been pretty busy, so not much with the car yet. I cant remember the order of everything, but we had some family things, kids birthdays, a wake and shit like that. I bought an ATV at some point in there.

All the boxes in the background are the plow setup for it, which I got all assembled this weekend (was waiting for the winch)

I did get my trans dropped off to be built a couple weeks ago. Nothing too exciting to see there, but here are some pics of the JW Ultra Bell

This past weekend we worked on my buddies car.

So I at least got a chance to use the new ATV to pull the SC back into the garage. it was WAY better than using the mower!! I am thinking of building a push bar set up for it so I don't have to fuck around so much with everything.

Anyway, this Saturday we are going to be installing a new sub panel out in the garage with a 220v outlet (and some 110's) so I can weld again! I still need to get the engine bay and motor all cleaned up, and the ABS delete done. I was going to do that while we were working on my buddies car this past weekend but it was raining so I stayed in the garage and did the plow instead.

I think we are done with all the birthdays, family things, and I fucking hope wakes for a while. I want to get everything cleaned up ASAP so when I get the trans back I can put everything back in the car and get to fabricating. Wish I could work on it all day every day, but just cant. I WILL have a good update for you guys soon!!!

Thanks,
Sean
Old 10-08-2019, 05:22 PM   #84
Broke EF
Smoked another BBC

Its not much, but I did actually do something to my SC this weekend!!! The wife is still being a slave driver having me do all kinds of stuff around the house. Some of it is general stuff, most of it is in preparation for a "small get together" after we decided we would not be ready to throw a Halloween party this year....

ANYWAY, I guess we need to go back to last weekend first since I never updated you guys. On schedule my buddy came out and we got my sub panel installed 2 weeks ago. We also got some electrical in the house taken care of while he was over. Nothing too exciting, but now I have two 120v circuits and a 220v outlet so I can do some work.

You can see we also stubbed some 3/4" pipe for future work since my main panel is basically full. We have two down to the basement and one up to the attic so we should be able to get anywhere we need. That was about all that I was able to accomplish that pertains to the garage/car that weekend.

This past weekend some friends were by working on their cars. I was in and out helping them while doing stuff around the house. The fun one was Dom finishing his air ride install on his GS350 F-Sport.

Like I said I was kind of helping with his car (and another friend who came by), and doing stuff around the house. I decided to pressure wash the mower and ATV, and since the SC was in the driveway I hit it too. I just used some simple green though the pressure washer, brushed it a very little in the bad spots, and then hit it with high pressure to clean it up some. Came out pretty good I think!

You will notice its not back on the lift. While Dom was working on his car the lift did not sound too happy. When he was finishing his car up I put the lift up and gave it a look. It was not good.

I emailed them today about it, and they said the pulley must have rusted in place which made the came slide against it and eventually come off. That would be pretty impressive in the 3 months I have had it where it has always been inside. Once I responded with that, I haven't heard back yet. So that is another project on the list.

Back to the car, my plan (as it has been for WEEKS) is to remove the ABS crap, and get everything a little neater. I will probably try and get a coat of paint on the bay as well. For sure I need to paint up the turbo bracket. I am still waiting on the transmission which holds me back from being able to start on fab work again. I am being told I should have it back in the next week or two. Once I have it, motor and trans can go back in and I can get back to my favorite part, FAB WORK!!!

Sorry for the boring small updates, but thank you for following along!

Sean
Old 10-08-2019, 07:05 PM   #85
BFLY
Regulator
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke EF View Post
Its not much, but I did actually do something to my SC this weekend!!! The wife is still being a slave driver having me do all kinds of stuff around the house. Some of it is general stuff, most of it is in preparation for a "small get together" after we decided we would not be ready to throw a Halloween party this year....

ANYWAY, I guess we need to go back to last weekend first since I never updated you guys. On schedule my buddy came out and we got my sub panel installed 2 weeks ago. We also got some electrical in the house taken care of while he was over. Nothing too exciting, but now I have two 120v circuits and a 220v outlet so I can do some work.

You can see we also stubbed some 3/4" pipe for future work since my main panel is basically full. We have two down to the basement and one up to the attic so we should be able to get anywhere we need. That was about all that I was able to accomplish that pertains to the garage/car that weekend.

This past weekend some friends were by working on their cars. I was in and out helping them while doing stuff around the house. The fun one was Dom finishing his air ride install on his GS350 F-Sport.

Like I said I was kind of helping with his car (and another friend who came by), and doing stuff around the house. I decided to pressure wash the mower and ATV, and since the SC was in the driveway I hit it too. I just used some simple green though the pressure washer, brushed it a very little in the bad spots, and then hit it with high pressure to clean it up some. Came out pretty good I think!

You will notice its not back on the lift. While Dom was working on his car the lift did not sound too happy. When he was finishing his car up I put the lift up and gave it a look. It was not good.
Damato?

Last edited by BFLY; 10-08-2019 at 07:06 PM.
BFLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:42 PM   #86
Broke EF
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFLY View Post
Damato?
Thats the one!
Old 10-10-2019, 10:25 PM   #87
Firetruck1
draggin' ass
Smoked Another SBC

That cable/pulley deal would scare the shit out of me!

Thank you to all who have helped me on my projects:

Dan Neumann Race Cars
Fast Forward Race Engines
FTI Converters and Transmissions
Holeshot Wheels
Jones Racing Products
NRC Motorsports
TRZ Motorsports

“Le Petomane Thruway? Now what'll that a**hole think of next? Does anybody got a dime? Somebody’s gotta go back and get a sh**-load of dimes!”

I have sincere gratitude for gold star families. Thank you
Firetruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #88
Broke EF
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetruck1 View Post
That cable/pulley deal would scare the shit out of me!
Well, it was on the locks when I found it Seriously though I wont use it until I replace all the parts. I pulled it apart last night to see what exactly got screwed up. So far they are not being very helpful. Everything was greased, and moving freely. I know for a fact that all the cables were properly on the pulleys when I first set it all up. I think it came off when it was lowered onto the locks at some point because I think that cable was always too long. I was never able to get that corner adjusted level (close, but not quite).

I guess we will see how it plays out, but I am sure I will be on the hook for buying and installing all the new parts. Just taking away from the car even more

Sean
Old 10-21-2019, 11:07 AM   #89
Broke EF
Smoked another BBC

Good morning everyone!! Time to bring you all up to speed on all things SC. Work wise, nothing has happened. Part of that is me not wanting to lose the brakes just yet, and part of that is me being too busy doing all kinds of stuff around the house. One of those projects was the lift which is not back up and running 100%. Like I said before, the guy I had contacted was kind of being a dick at first and it looked like I was just gonna have to buy the parts. Then I kind of laid out what was actually broke and he was super nice and sent everything out right away. No idea what changed, I wasn't a dick to him at all (yet) and I knew what parts it needed from the start just hadn't pulled it apart yet to see how bad they were. Anyway I got everything last week, so this Saturday I got it all in and adjusted.

Old cable after I removed it.

Old spacer vs the new one

Old pin and spacer vs new ones

This was the biggest pain in the ass in the whole project.

The top cable is the one I was replacing, the other one that is off the pulley is for the left front and came off the anchor while I was doing all this. Those other two though were pulling everything forward making it a MFer to get that pin lined up to go through all 4 of them and into the receiver on the other side of the block. Other than getting that lined up everything else was pretty easy, and it was WAY better than it was before once I was done.

Besides that, not much has been going on other than ordering parts. I got the following stuff on the way (or here with pics)

New front and rear main seals and cover gaskets

New stainless ARP hardware for front and rear covers (front pictured)

Front timing cover alignment tool
Rear main seal alignment tool
Flexplate holding tool
-10 Aluminum weld bung (oil drain for turbo)
C6 LS3 oil pan
Windage tray
Oil pickup
Dipstick tube
Dipstick
Stainless steel ARP oil pan bolts

I think that is everything, but may be forgetting something. The big news is I got my trans back yesterday!

Its nothing really special, just a typical "built" TH400. All new everything inside, reverse manual valve body, trans brake, AN adapters for the vent and the trans cooler lines, deep aluminum pan, and a JW TH400-LS ultra bell. I still need a flex plate and a converter. I also need to figure out a breather set up for it. I think I still have a Lokar locking dipstick for it somewhere, but if not need to get one of them too.

The plan is to put the new gaskets on, covers, and new pan setup, then bolt it all back into the car with the trans so I can get back to fabrication. I didn't want to have to pull the motor again which is why I got the pan and the cover stuff now. The wife is out of town this week, so there is some hope I will finally get rid of the ABS and finish cleaning everything. I am really not sure when the pan is supposed to come in, but I am hoping this week. The pile of parts is getting too big, I need to start installing

Thanks for following along!
Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #90
Rebird
Smoked another BBC

Cool build Broke! The GM strike may have your oil pan..... i have one on order as well, lol.
Rebird is offline   Reply With Quote