427 SBC build for TQ in a truck - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Old 11-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #1
BTCurp
Pre-Staged

Default 427 SBC build for TQ in a truck

Hello from Alaska!

I have a 1987 Jeep J20 I want to swap a Chevy engine into. It's going to be my daily driver and tow rig for my race jeep. I want to build a small block or buy a ZZ502 from GM. Either engine will be backed by a 700r4 from Monster. Truck is and will remain 4x4. I built the engine in my other Jeep. It's a high compression straight 6 stroker, worked over aluminum head, custom solid cam, open header 4000 lbs trail ready. I put a lot of work into it and it MIGHT make 350 hp/350+ lb ft

So I have always wanted a big block, but they're fairly expensive. And I can get great power from a small block with less weight and fuel consumption is what I'm thinking.

My goal is driveability and TQ. Seems crazy, but as "trick" as a 427 SBC is, it would appear I can build it for less than a ZZ502 crate engine (But damn that 502 is already making 500+ lb ft at 2500 rpm)

I'd like to make 500 lb ft and this is not a normal 427 SBC idea. I don't want a huge cam or heads. I am thinking along the lines of AFR 195 CC heads, ported 2.5" outlet ram horn exhaust manifolds and a dual plane intake. Planning to run a carb.

Reason for manifolds and not headers is it will make the swap easier into the truck, and I'm shooting for a nice quiet engine and ride. With the solid cam in the race jeep I know I for sure want a hydraulic roller in this engine. And I only want to spin this thing as high as 6k (but maybe not even that much as I just don't need to)

What heads and cam would you guys recommend? Can this be done the way I've laid it out? 383's with iron vortec heads can make 450 lb ft, with more displacement and a little more cylinder head/cam it ought to be easy right?
BTCurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
BTCurp
Pre-Staged

Default Re: 427 SBC build for TQ in a truck

I meant to add......My other concern with the TQ of the big block is it might actually get annoying roasting the tires. I run a 265/75R16 all around and am looking at running a wider tire and the rear axle has a LS. Although this hypothetical engine would probably do the same, it won't make quite as much TQ as soon. And I'll be daily driving this. I inherited a C6 ZO6 when my Dad died and while it was fun, I spun the tires a lot and it's fairly annoying to have a ton of power and not be able to use it well. Same reason I liked my 600cc sport bike over my 750. I could be crazy though
Old 11-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #3
Rapidray
Smoked another BBC

My suggestion is to build an EFI 496 big block from good collected parts. It will have way more toque at lower rpms for towing than a fairly expensive 427 small block build.
Hydraulic roller cam for sure, oval port aluminum heads (keep the weight down), 9.5. to 1 compression for 91 octane fuel, dual plane EFI intake with throttle body injection like FiTech or Holley Sniper. Self learn tuning and run smooth and lean with 02 sensors for better mileage and great towing. Keep HP at about 500-525 and make as much torque as you can from 1800-4000rpms. Race the race Jeep and not the Tow Jeep! JMHO
Rapidray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:00 PM   #4
64nailhead
Spooled up

I second the 427 SB build will be expensive - you won't be using any shelf parts for the short block. I'd recommend the EFI setup as well, but with boost. A 6.0 with an LSA blower is beyond reliable and can be extremely driveable with all of the punch needed to to hit your 500 ft/lb goal with mild boost and cam.

You're worried about too much power(??) WTF????
64nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:10 PM   #5
wolf Wengler
Smoked another BBC

Garage

Will your jeep drivetrain support the unending torque of a BBC?

509 BBC, solid roller
5-speed, 4-link
wolf Wengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:10 PM   #6
BTCurp
Pre-Staged

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf Wengler View Post
Will your jeep drivetrain support the unending torque of a BBC?
It's a 3/4 ton truck with a full float dana 60 rear. And like I said I'll order a 700R4 from Monster.

I like the idea of the EFI 496 or blown LS. Whatever I run I need to fit under the stock hood of the truck. For anyone not familiar the full size Jeeps are all essentially the same. The more common one is the Grand Wagoneer, my truck is just a regular cab long bed pickup version.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:37 AM   #7
ericnova
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCurp View Post
And like I said I'll order a 700R4 from Monster.
Bad choice, both in the source and in the trans itself....a 700R4 will never hold to that kind of power for long, no matter who builds it.

Go to the 4L80E, and if you don't want to get a electronic controller for it then go "brain dead" manual valvebody on it.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:34 AM   #8
BTCurp
Pre-Staged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova View Post
Bad choice, both in the source and in the trans itself....a 700R4 will never hold to that kind of power for long, no matter who builds it.

Go to the 4L80E, and if you don't want to get a electronic controller for it then go "brain dead" manual valvebody on it.
Through some research this seems like a legitimate statement. How can monster build a 700R4 and rate it at 600 lb ft? Did I miss the fine print that says "in a vehicle weighing less than a 1000 lbs"?
Old 11-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #9
440 LSX
Spooled up

I like the LS idea also. Would easily make the power you’re wanting and be very reliable and get better mileage for a daily driver than a big block. I like carbs for racing but I think daily driver I would have to make it fuel injected.
440 LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:51 AM   #10
Horndog
Smoked Another SBC

Regardless of engine, the 700r4 is going to be the weakest link. Go with a properly built 400 turbo and the trans will be the last think you'll need to worry about.

" ...oh no, what the fuck was that?
...the motor ... we've thrown a rod.
...is that serious?
...yup."

“And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed—if all records told the same tale—then the lie passed into history and became truth." -George Orwell

I really don't know which is worse ..... all of DOTARD's lies all the time, or all the trumphumpers lapping them up with not even giving them a critical thought
Horndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #11
CNC BLOCKS
Smoked Another SBC

My customer insisted on a 427 and wanted a ton of torque. This is what I came up with and it was not a cheap build either.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-...e-monster.html
CNC BLOCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:56 PM   #12
502SS
Smoked Another SBC

The first version of my 427ci SBC that was in my Jeep made peak (593)[email protected],000, and was making 568 lb ft of torque at 4,500. Peak torque was [email protected],800RPM. Dyno started reading at 4,500 so I have no clue what it made lower.
This was a small cam, old Brodix -11X heads, and built for 93 octane.
502SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:50 PM   #13
BTCurp
Pre-Staged

Nice. Thanks for the replies fellas

I don't want a 3 speed auto like the T400. I want OD and lockup.

I actually searched "torque monster" in google and that thread did not come up haha.

If a 383 can make 450 lb ft at a reasonable rpm I can't see why you wouldn't make considerably more TQ with an additional 44 cubes
Old 11-28-2018, 05:00 PM   #14
502SS
Smoked Another SBC

Yea, I know there are other variables, but...
I went from a solid roller 383 with AFR 195's, to a solid roller 427 with Brodix -11X's. Nothing super fancy, no outrageous lift on either cam. The difference in TQ was amazing.
Ran 4.6's in the sand (300') with the 383 and a 150 shot of nitrous. Went 4.5's N/A with the 427. No other changes.
502SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #15
Faster7
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCurp View Post
Through some research this seems like a legitimate statement. How can monster build a 700R4 and rate it at 600 lb ft? Did I miss the fine print that says "in a vehicle weighing less than a 1000 lbs"?
They could have said they held 1500lb ft just the same.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mons...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Faster7 is offline   Reply With Quote