;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > The Kill!! > Hunting

Hunting All game hunting!!!

Old 04-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
wrench turner
Spooled up

Default mossberg 500 20 ga. turkey choke help

i'm setting up my 20 gauge for my grandson for turkey season
i want to use federal 3rd degree 5,6,7 shot ammo and i'm trying for find the right turkey choke for these shell
was thinking carlson but dont know what diameter to go with
was thinking a .570- .575 unless someone knows something better or has experience with these shells?
definitely want non-ported and extended choke
wrench turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
bent valve
Pullin gears

Default Re: mossberg 500 20 ga. turkey choke help

I would start with the tightest choke you have now and have HIM pattern it at 25yards with different loads. Some times the newest and greatest isn't any better than a 3" magnum copper plated 6. Be sure your pattern isn't too tight for your grand son because at close range the pattern won't spread much making it easier to miss. Smaller shot penentrates deeper than large shot and doesn't waddup in the feathers as much. I use a Mossburg 20" 12 gauge with an extra full Mossberg choke with copper plated 6's. Tried others but this one just works. So far this combo's taken over 30 Iowa gobblers.
Good hunting to you and your grandson, sounds like he's a lucky kid with a good grandpa.
Bent
bent valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
wrench turner
Spooled up

i don't want to use too tight of a choke cause I'm afraid it will mess with the flight control wad
Old 04-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #4
bent valve
Pullin gears

What chokes do you have now? If you have a full choke pattern it with the loads you want to use, if it's not tight enough go one step tighter. Good idea to mic the choke to see what restriction you have now. Remember some loads may like an more open choke, the only way is to experiment.
I see little reason to spend $$ on a super duper turkey choke when most shots are with in 25 yards or less. I think it's anti climatic when you pull the trigger on the big guy any way, the thrill is watching him looking for you!

Bent
bent valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2018, 10:52 AM   #5
wrench turner
Spooled up

thanks for the help. all I have right now is the 3 factory chokes but I was going to get a extra full also. and yes it is a thrill watching them just not at 5 yards waiting on them to move away some to get a shot LOL
I've taken my nephew the last 3 years and we doubled at the same time the past 2 years.i've ALWAYS gotten a thrill of taking the kids and seeing there eyes for the first time they see one
that makes it all worth while