Anyone make anything good lately? - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Cook of the weak

Cook of the weak Grilling, Smoking, Slow Cookers, Dutch Ovens and other forms of cooking!!!

Old 12-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Default Anyone make anything good lately?

I really haven't. Writers block? Usually when I get back from one of these trips, go through the notes I write on the plane and the first thing I do is try and recreate things that I really liked. Seem to be stuck in the mud as I haven't even tried. Need some ideas, got any? This is what I have been doing.

Pork Piccata.............. Learned this doing the Martin PDRA in a place in Grand Rapids. Been there, done it before. Boring!

Burger with sautéed Onions, Smoked Gouda cheese, Spinich and Heirloom tomatoes from my deck garden. It was OK, still just a burger n fries.

Deep Fried Chicken Livers n Mashed Tators. Kinda a change of pace but I can get the same thing at a Grandees fast food place for $5.99. It was OK.

One of my standard summer meals, done several times before. Boring! Pan Seared Mahi Mahi (which did have a perfect sear!) Mango/Avacado Pico de Gallo, and Curry Carmel glazed Heirloom Carrots. (The Carrots were killer! The rest, it was all right.)

Curry Carmel Glazed Carrots

Put the Carrots in a pan with a little Olive Oil and a goo pinch of Salt. Roast for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Throw a chunk of butter into a pan, small handful of brown sugar and a couple good pinches of Curry. Low heat to melt everything. Prior to serving, throw the carrots in and using medium high heat to gel the Carmel so it sticks to the Carrots.

Anyone got any ideas to get me out of this funk? And no, BBQ isn't a new idea.

Denny

Last edited by Denny McLain; 12-08-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
cam-
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Steak neptune;

Tenderloin grilled medium rare
topped with;
- fresh boiled asparagus
- Boiled lobster tail
- bernaise sauce

serve with mashed potatoes, carrots, and J Lohr 7 oaks Cabernet Sauvignon.

Easy, fast, and a very tasty meal.

P.S. you can use crab meat as well as Lobster, I've even used canned crab meat and it still tastes great. The Asparagus texture should match that of the steak, not too soft, not too crispy, like goldilocks it needs to be juuuuust right.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
va nova
Launchin

Just potato soup. Used the Yukon gold potatoes, very tasty.
va nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:19 PM   #4
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by va nova View Post
Potato soup is one of my favorites. My problem I always turn them into a chowder of some sort.

Denny
Old 12-09-2015, 01:47 AM   #5
cepx111
Former RJ instigator
Smoked Another SBC

Well, I made my famous honey hot wings yesterday for lunch, I must say they were pretty fucking natchy mo larrpy, that's southern for--> 'good'.

Sorry no pics, been slacking in that department....
cepx111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #6
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by va nova View Post
Here is the problem again. When I go to make Potato Soup I always end up putting seafood in it making a Chowder. Guess my problem is I like Chowders too.

Denny
Old 12-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
tmac11
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny McLain View Post
Here is the problem again. When I go to make Potato Soup I always end up putting seafood in it making a Chowder. Guess my problem is I like Chowders too.

Denny
That looks really good. Could you post up what you used in it?
tmac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:38 AM   #8
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac11 View Post
That looks really good. Could you post up what you used in it?
Not a problem as in Merry Christmas! Keep in mind when I post things basically I'm reverse engineering a recipe as most of the time I cook on autopilot winging it as I go. Which means the amounts are my best guess but should be pretty close. Simply made this enough times that I don't even have to think about it so taste and adjust accordingly. I do.

Clam and Shrimp Chowder

· 1 lb shrimp
· 2 lb clams (whole frozen)
· 1 can of whole Clams
· 2 medium large potatoes 1/4th to 1/2 inch diced
· 4-6 ounces bacon chopped
· 3 stalks celery medium diced
· Large or two smaller sweet onion medium diced
· Garlic powder to taste
· Celery seed
· Fresh ground pepper to taste
· Salt to taste
· Chopped parsley
· Chicken broth concentrate (the stuff that comes in a plastic jar to make broth)
· 2-3 cups milk
· 1 cup heavy cream
· 1/2 stick of butter
· 1/3-1/2 cup flour (Butter and flour for making roux)

Dice potatoes and put into pot to boil with salted water. When done, drain and set aside. In a separate pan (while potatoes are cooking) render bacon down so juices are clear scrapping the bottom deglazing making sure you're getting all the bacon flavor.

While bacon is rendering, medium dice celery and put into pan with bacon using a medium low heat. Add medium chopped onion. Add some salt, pepper, celery seed, most of the chopped parsley (save some for garnish) and garlic powder. Cook for about 15 minutes making sure the celery is soft (Don't want no crunchy celery now do we!!)

Add potatoes and just cover with chicken broth bringing to a simmer. Add milk, cream, seafood and turn heat up to medium stirring to make sure nothing sticks.

Put butter in bowl, place in microwave for 30 seconds. Add flour and with a small whisk make a roux. (If you want the chowder thicker, use 1/2 cup flour). Add mixture to chowder. Bring to a simmer making sure the shrimp are fully cooked, do final adjustment on seasoning and you’re done.

Serve with a salad and warm bread.

Denny
Old 12-08-2015, 01:19 PM   #9
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam- View Post
Steak neptune;

Tenderloin grilled medium rare
topped with;
- fresh boiled asparagus
- Boiled lobster tail
- bernaise sauce

serve with mashed potatoes, carrots, and J Lohr 7 oaks Cabernet Sauvignon.

Easy, fast, and a very tasty meal.

P.S. you can use crab meat as well as Lobster, I've even used canned crab meat and it still tastes great. The Asparagus texture should match that of the steak, not too soft, not too crispy, like goldilocks it needs to be juuuuust right.
Cool idea. Just happen to have a filet in the freezer and some Lobster Claws also. With a little Holliday Sauce too!! Happen to have some 2015 vodka to go with it.

Denny
Old 10-21-2017, 10:41 AM   #10
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Korean Hibachi on a backyard BlackStone. Gonna do more of a pictorial as this is something anyone can do with a little planning using a grill and pans. Basically this was prep and practice for me to do a fun meal for friends. Hope you enjoy, I did.

The trick to any meal is ingredients and preparation so everything comes out at peak at the same time. Prior to using the griddle: Trimmed the meat (for the Kimchi Rice), steamed the rice and did the veggies for it. Cleaned and seasoned the shrimp, marinated the Beef Rib and blanched the Chinese Broccoli. Steamed the dumplings and got the sauces out plus arranged the plates. Turned on the grill and my smoker I use as a holding oven.

There is a very distinctive sequence also to help keep the grill clean.

Veggies first..........

And into the holding oven to keep warm while the rest of the meal is cooked.

Now the meats.........

Beef into the holding oven.

Now finish the Shrimp and Dumplings.

And............. into the holding oven.

Now the Kimchi Rice.

and of course........ into the holding oven.

Lastly....... A couple of fried eggs to top the rice.

Plate it hot and you have a true international gourmet meal and a fun evening with friends. You can dress to impress. Recipes below.

Marinated Bulgogi Beef Short rib

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs of thinly sliced Short Ribs
1/4th cup soy sauce
1/4th cup of Soju (Korean national liquor) or you can use vodka
1/4th cup of Coke Cola
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 of a Korean Pear peeled and course chopped
1 large onion course chopped
1/3rd of an onion sliced (to be cook with the steak)
6 garlic cloves peeled and smashed
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
4 tablespoons sesame oil (2 for the marinade, 2 to sauté the meat if using a pan)

Directions:
Combine soy sauce, Soju (vodka is you happen to be fresh out of Soju), soda, sugar, pear, onion, 2 tablespoons sesame oil, and garlic in a blender and blend till smooth. Put meat, sliced onion, and sesame seeds in a large bowl and pour marinade on top. Mix well and cover with plastic wrap. Let it marinade for about 4 hours.

When you are ready to eat, get a large pan very hot and cook meat in batches. Add a little sesame oil to the hot pan, about a handful of meat and cook through making sure some get a sear so it caramelizes.

Kimchi Pork Fried Rice

Ingredients:
• 1 lb trimmed marinated pork (Same Bulgogi marinade that I posted earlier)
• 3 tablespoons oil
• 2 teaspoons sesame oil
• 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
• 1 garlic clove, finely minced
• 1/2 cup finely chopped kimchi
• 1 teaspoon soy sauce
• 4 cups steamed rice
• 1 bunch green onions (sliced)
• 2 tablespoons Korean red chili pepper paste
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• ½ cup chicken broth
• 1 egg per serving
• 2 tablespoons butter 

Directions:
Steam Rice and set aside, slice Green Onions and set aside. Mix Korean chili paste, sesame oil, sesame seed, sugar, soy sauce and chicken broth. Microwave 30 seconds, stir and set aside. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick Wok or large skillet over high heat till it starts to smoke. Add the onion, garlic and cook till the onion starts to wilt. Add the kimchi and cook until it begins to crisp on the edges and set aside. Add remaining tablespoon of oil and stir-fry the Pork making sure some of it gets caramelized. Add the Garlic/Green Onions/Kimchi, sauce and rice back to the pan and stir thoroughly to combine. Cook until the rice is warmed through and beginning to brown, (about 5 minutes) and remove from heat.
In a separate pan using medium low heat, add 2 tablespoons of butter and melt the butter. Crack the egg(s) into the skillet, sprinkle it with a pinch of salt and immediately cover the pan with a lid. Cook until the egg white is cooked through and the yolk is barely set. Slip a spatula underneath the egg and transfer it on top of the rice. Eat immediately, being sure to break the yolk and let is act like a sauce over the rice.

Now after all that, my wife just yelled at me and got to deal with a damn Armadillo tearing up my yard. Cat trying to chase it off w/o much luck. Shit never ends!

See ya later, I got shit to do.

Denny
Old 10-21-2017, 06:33 PM   #11
RICK55FLA
Smoked Another SBC

22 Sub Sonic 2x to the rib area, that way you don't have to bury it.

They have done so much damage to my yard.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #12
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK55FLA View Post
22 Sub Sonic 2x to the rib area, that way you don't have to bury it.

They have done so much damage to my yard.
I use a live trap and take them out into the country. Problem is this time of year they are trying to fatten up for winter so they are super destructive. Obviously they could care less about cats. Built like little tanks.

Denny
Old 10-22-2017, 09:43 AM   #13
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Yesterday was trying to clean out the fridge and got the bright idea of putting some of the Crawfish Etouffee I made for the Catfish on the Kimchee Rice and topped it with an egg. Delicious! Really was.

Denny
Old 12-09-2015, 04:10 AM   #14
PuRpS
FUCK TONS OF FUN
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

Did you see my kangaroo loin in my other thread ??

Made in to medallions with some beef rub . shallow fried in the smoker. Using an iron skillet and rendered lamb fat
The #2 Dart Fan boy

PuRpS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #15
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuRpS View Post
Did you see my kangaroo loin in my other thread ??

Made in to medallions with some beef rub . shallow fried in the smoker. Using an iron skillet and rendered lamb fat
I'll grab my shotgun and get right on it. In the meantime, may try and do a stuffed chicken breast on a bed of sautéed Spinach with the veggie here.............

Grilled Eggplant, grilled Zucchini, assembled and baked till the cheese melts. Or so I think! Another reverse engineering project but it was quite good. Got some Brie to throw on top that I think will be good. You guys need to get more into the side dish's. To me they make the meal.

While looking for Steaks n Lobster in our freezer, found two packets of hamburger paddies so ended up just doing another burger last night instead. Just trying to get rid of a few as I seem to be overstocked not realizing it plus I still had a couple of cheap buns still left. So. Still love my fries. Timed it and it took 50 minutes in the oil but do they ever come out perfect. Hell yes!!

Denny