Yellow Bullet Forums banner

radiators with front mount turbo's

148K views 171 replies 83 participants last post by  01-Gator 
#1 ·
going to start putting my turbo sbc mustand together and i was wondering when people do a front mount turbo where do thay put the radiator and tranny cooler at.

post up pic if you have any so i can get idea's on how to set my car up.

#2 ·
afco has some small turbo radiators put on both sides of turbo connected together

#4 ·
Well I don't have turbo's but my Prochargers are front mounted and my car is 99% street driven. To save money I used Froozen Boost air to water heat exchangers for radiators and oil/transmission coolers.

Transmission cooler.

I have a total of three engine radiators. 2 x 12x 2 radiators either side of the blowers and one larger 26 x 7 x 3.5 above the blowers. The 12 x 2 radiators are ultra light. I can sit at 170 degs in traffic no problem with 2 x 10 fans on the 12" radiators.

Altogether they still weigh less than my old Be cool monster radiator and ultra heavy Procharger A/A intercooler...(car sits higher on it's springs even though the old set up had a 355 and this is a 406 SBC).

Old set up which still had cooling problems due to the intercooler being close to the radiator...

#8 ·
Do you need the turbo inlet to come through the front bumper cover?

#9 ·
I'm having the same dilemma now. I will race 99%...but that 1% makes me want to run rad so I can take it on the street.

I'm very torn. I love the set up on the orange mustang, but no rad would make the car a lot lighter.

#10 ·
pretty much what went through my brain for a week. decided to say screw it and put a tank in the back. my deciding factor was that its not going to be fun worrying about the tranny temp, water temp, constantly shifting, worrying about somebody hitting me, ect. so its just going to be a drag car only.

#11 · (Edited)
How big of a turbo? I fabricated my own kit and fit a holset hx40 in between the alternator and fenderwell. Also ive seen plenty of builds with around 80mm turbos mounted sideways in front of the engine. I have an oversized aluminum radiator in the stock location with a 3" thick intercooler up front. Check the link in my sig for my build thread w/pics

#21 ·
this is how my car is looking right now if any one has some idea's that would help me let me know.

As you are looking to go track only I would invest in either a front facing ........

or laying down flat.....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AFC-80107N/?rtype=10

The Frozen boost radiator can go under your turbo upright facing the bumper with extra holes in it.

The AFCO can go flat under the turbo with a shroud, fans and fabication it could be expensive...
This is assuming you have a SBF!

#22 ·
Thanks guys!!

Its 400ci with a BW S500SX4. The first pic with the front end of is with a Garrett 88mm. The radiator is a Griffin 31x19x3, fans are dual Spal 11", and the water pump is a Meziere 55gpm. It usually never gets above 180 even on a hot day. The key to mounting the radiator that low is the purge tank on the firewall to get all the air bubbles out.

#25 ·
Here is an older picture of our setup. Worked really well, especially with the dual fans pulling air through the radiator. But eventually, we did what Monson is stating. Ditched the radiator and integrated it into the intercooler, this is the best methood for an all out race car.

#49 · (Edited)
I hope to see more pic's of B-1Duster's setup. How does it do for street duty? Does tha cabin heat up at all. Being in az, I really don't want any extra heat entering the cabin. The ac I install is already going to struggle to keep the car somewhat reasonable it the hotter months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.